Portugal route?

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

If they were considering this, the time to launch it was with the new timetables and start next Spring, however it is too late for that.

Wouldn’t the plan here for a very short term launch in the next month or six weeks?

Temporarily replace the Pont Aven’s Cork rotation with a UK-Portugal. 

27 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I have seen this advertised yesterday, is there any truth in it?

It's what this whole thread is about.  Will it happen? is it practical? That's for BF to work out.

What interests me is what route will be taken? Will they ark right out in the the Bay/Atlantic, or course down to northern Spain and hug the coast down to Porto?

It is novel to see nevertheless and I pondered recently why no UK ferry companies were diversifying and offering something different during the pandemic - as Viking and Tallink have done. 

4 hours ago, lg12 said:

Wouldn’t the plan here for a very short term launch in the next month or six weeks?

Temporarily replace the Pont Aven’s Cork rotation with a UK-Portugal. 

Possibly, however I suspect that the Santander and Cork Rotation would be replaced with a Portugal one given the extra crossing times.

My interest in this is that I have a decent cabin on PA in 7 weeks time !

11 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Must be very exciting waiting to discover where you will be taken! 🤣

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Must be very exciting waiting to discover where you will be taken! 🤣

As long as they don't stop in Brest otherwise he will have to do 7 days quarantine in France and another 10 when he gets home. 

Ed

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

Possibly, however I suspect that the Santander and Cork Rotation would be replaced with a Portugal one given the extra crossing times.

Could they fit a once weekly Santander, once weekly Portugal (+ a regular hop to France for a crew change)?

Everything points to there being far less tourism to/from Ireland this summer than even in 2020. Pont Aven could no doubt be better used elsewhere. 

BF have confirmed to Shippax that they are indeed looking at Porto with a service possibly starting this month running for 6 weeks initially.

FERRYBrittany Ferries has confirmed to Shippax that it might operate a Plymouth-Leixões summer-only service, something first revealed by local media. If it happens, the new passenger-focused service is due to start in late May for an initial period of six weeks.

Depending on the success, Brittany Ferries doesn't exclude the new service to be extended beyond the six weeks. The idea to start this new service is entirely because Portugal is one of the few countries on the 'green' COVID-19 list of the UK government which means that residents only need to test (negative) once without the need to quarantine when arriving back in the UK. Both Spain and Portugal are still on the 'amber' list, meaning passengers have to be tested and fill out a locator form prior to returning to the UK, with a mandatory 10-day quarantine and regular testing when back home.

A Brittany Ferries spokesperson told Shippax that it was working hard to make this new temporary twice weekly service happen, yet there were still a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts'. Should it prove successful and should there be a strong demand after mid-July, Brittany Ferries might decide to continue a weekly call with either CAP FINISTERE or PONT-AVEN making a weekly roundtrip from Plymouth to Santander and Leixões, respectively.

Plymouth-Leixões is a distance of 612 nautical miles with crossings taking 30 hours, Brittany Ferries said. CAP FINISTERE can reach a speed of 28 knots and has a capacity of 1,608 passengers and 1,926 lanemetres whilst Brittany Ferries flagship PONT-AVEN has a 27-knot service speed and a capacity of 2,100 passengers and 1,465 lanemetres.

© Shippax

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Running either ship at 27 knots will be very, very expensive.

There's no SECA regs down there so they can use HFO as soon as she passes the separation zone.

They won't run Pont Aven at 27 knots, she'll break something and hurt herself then the passengers will be heading for Brest. My money is on Cap Finistere... if they don't sell her in Spain... or bring in something else...????

• Like 1

On another thread there was mention that advertising in the Social Media Age is more subtle and free.

I wonder if this Portugal Idea is just a way of spreading the word re BF  and is not really being looked at seriously.

Just now, David Williams said:

Is someone spreading a rumour that this is a pre sale inspection like NEX ?

Dorsal fins are definitely circling.

• Like 1

Local news (south west) just had another article (twice in a row) and interviewed the manager of Brittany Ferries. The following has been quoted

“our main call centre in Plymouth had been inundated with calls since the announcement with customers trying to book the ferry to Portugal”

”we will release details next week”

”we have a team of people working on this project - and if it can be done, it will be going ahead”.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

Haha I nearly threw that in yesterday! Crossing time would be 48 hours. 

I suggested that last month, primarily for camper-vanners. DFDS or Stena could certainly be inclined to look into the idea if their other sources of revenue dry up.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Iceland isn't very sunny...

No but it is a place that lot of people aspire to visit. Plus, as the costs are high there, taking a camper-van would make trips cheaper.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

13 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Iceland isn't very sunny...

True, not in the conventional sense but they do have rather a lot of daylight at this time of year ;)