Jump to content

Portugal route?


Recommended Posts

Quote

True, not in the conventional sense but they do have rather a lot of daylight at this time of year

Through the rainy murk and drifting fumes of volcanic eruptions...😁

But the Great British Public are generally in search of sun drenched beaches. The number of potential Icelandic bound campervans is minescule by comparison.

If you have a choice between France/Spain and Iceland then surely it is a no brainer. (unless you really, really love desolated volcanic landscapes).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cvabishop said:

If you have a choice

Sure, if you have a choice you would head south. But in the absence of certainty other options might be interesting to consider.

As to Portugal, the UEFA final has apparently now been confirmed as taking place in Porto on 29 May so BF had better get a move on with their planning.

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Portugal by ferry ?

My rule of thumb...if it’s further than Roscoff I fly.

My daughter’s rule of thumb ...if there’s a plane from Southampton to Brittany she flies. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Sure, if you have a choice you would head south. But in the absence of certainty other options might be interesting to consider.

Like stay and enjoy the wonderful choice of destinations in the UK. Way better than Iceland unless you are really into volcanoes and desolate landscapes.

Bamburgh Castle and Holy Island would do me fine.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Iceland has some of the most amazing landscapes, tremendous waterfalls and volcanic caves.

Agreed! Although the mainstream might like a hot, beach holiday in Spain, Portugal etc there is a market for those who like the opposite.

I would sooner spend a winter int he Baltic and Scandinavia than going to a warm(ish) Southern Europe. Everyone has different tastes.

The only thing that puts me off Iceland  (or any far northerly country) in June is the constant daylight, it would drive me mad. Nevertheless Iceland has got a lot to offer and is one of my bucket list destinations to tick off / although I would rather go in the winter when it’s cold, potentially snowy and the potential to see the Northern lights. It is one of the fastest growing tourism destinations in Europe.

Going back to the original pair, I guess the only thing preventing a ferry trip to Iceland is the long crossing time.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Bamburgh Castle and Holy Island would do me fine.

Was up there last summer, place was heaving, you couldn't sell a kidney for a touring pitch on any campsite.

I agree Colin, stay in the U.K. We're currently in Devon where it's rained constantly now for two days and the van has been swaying in the wind. 

Bit like being on a ferry anyway really... I plan to use our huge map book as a rudder when we leave on Saturday.

...don't mind it really, back next month too.

Edited by jonno
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Adding another 4 hours of sailing an already long crossing?

But four more hours for the football fans to drink themselves into a stupor.

đŸ»

Ed

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Portsmouth now seems to be fighting Plymouth to be the departure point for this new service.

https://twitter.com/mikesellersPIP/status/1392744542491787264?s=20

Ed

It's 32 hours from Portsmouth at 22kts. 29hrs at 25kts.

At an average of 25kts, BF could do Leixoes in 24hrs from Plymouth.

I suppose then it could well be down to which port offers the best berthing price and suitable slot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If BF do sail to Portugal, would this be the first time since the 1970s for a passenger-carrying ferry? Does anyone know the name of the the last such vessel to sail from the UK to Portugal? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jonno said:

It's 32 hours from Portsmouth at 22kts. 29hrs at 25kts.

At an average of 25kts, BF could do Leixoes in 24hrs from Plymouth.

I suppose then it could well be down to which port offers the best berthing price and suitable slot.

But would they want to AVERAGE 25kt, that would mean going flat out for some of the sailing.  They seem to be talking about 30hr from Plymouth, so 3 days for a round trip, Portsmouth would be pushing into 4 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

If BF do sail to Portugal, would this be the first time since the 1970s for a passenger-carrying ferry? Does anyone know the name of the the last such vessel to sail from the UK to Portugal? 

Eagle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If they put PA on the route and she breaks down again they'll have to rename her Albatross.

Ed

Aren’t albatrosses graceful?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Solo said:

But would they want to AVERAGE 25kt, that would mean going flat out for some of the sailing.  They seem to be talking about 30hr from Plymouth, so 3 days for a round trip, Portsmouth would be pushing into 4 days.

I understand that Solo, I'm highlighting what is doable not what they plan in order to keep your attention and the tills ringing.

Looking at the distance etc, I reckon 22kts from Plymouth, about the same as what PA chugs down the Bay to Santander.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

I understand that Solo, I'm highlighting what is doable not what they plan in order to keep your attention and the tills ringing.

Looking at the distance etc, I reckon 22kts from Plymouth, about the same as what PA chugs down the Bay to Santander.

Surely a two-nighter in both directions makes the most sense for passengers due to onward travel needs at both ends. But that then ties the ship up for a lost day in port. 

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Surely a two-nighter in both directions makes the most sense for passengers due to onward travel needs at both ends. But that then ties the ship up for a lost day in port. 

Ed

I think the plan is to do a weekly Leixoes return and a Santander return. I'll let our timetable guru Gareth finesse that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The BF Facebook post uses a picture of PA

Quote
Pass the Porto! We confirm that we’re looking seriously at the potential of a UK to Porto route, beginning around 24 May. A firm decision will be made early next week, following discussions with port partners in the UK and Portugal, its staff and technical teams.
This would be the first time in more than 40 years that we’ve opened a route to a new country

 

Edited by David Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...