Portugal route?

27 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think the plan is to do a weekly Leixoes return and a Santander return. I'll let our timetable guru Gareth finesse that one.

Ok, so that would work I suppose. And there might potentially be time for a dash across to Roscoff too. 

Ed

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

This would be the first time in more than 40 years that we’ve opened a route to a new country

So Portugal is a new country then .

• Haha 2

According to the BBC R4 news this evening all the football fans will have to fly in and out on charter flights and will be kept in a bubble (presumably one bubble per team) for the entire time. Therefore BF may not need to rush its new servicen into operation.

It doesn't sound like the fans will be able to enjoy the delights of Porto once the match is over, either. Therefore there will be no drinking, rioting, looting or any of the other traditional activities which make football such an endearing sport.

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

The latest reports suggest that Portugal might not be accepting tourists for a while yet.

Not until 30th May apparently and that's dependant on various factors, some national and some pan-EU if I've understood correctly.

Ed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

According to the BBC R4 news this evening all the football fans will have to fly in and out on charter flights and will be kept in a bubble (presumably one bubble per team) for the entire time. Therefore BF may not need to rush its new servicen into operation.

It doesn't sound like the fans will be able to enjoy the delights of Porto once the match is over, either. Therefore there will be no drinking, rioting, looting or any of the other traditional activities which make football such an endearing sport.

Ed

Looting, are you talking about English fans? I would have thought English fans, having smashed everything smashable too stupid to loot.

Eddy

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

some pan-EU

The EU decision seems to have been delayed.

I understand that next week  the EU Council should now be discussing  the recommendation to ease the restrictions on more third Countries, however they are not certain to agree them. There is also the standard 2 week review under the existing rules next week as  well.

10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The EU decision seems to have been delayed.

I understand that next week  the EU Council should now be discussing  the recommendation to ease the restrictions on more third Countries, however they are not certain to agree them. There is also the standard 2 week review under the existing rules next week as  well.

Is that before or after Ursula von der Leyen's weekly hairdressing appointment?

Ed

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is that before or after Ursula von der Leyen's weekly hairdressing appointment?

Ed

Not her fault, the Commission produced the recommendation at the start of the month, the Council (aka the 27 Countries) seem to be the cause of the delay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If BF does succeed in getting a Portugal connection up and running then, once they have got the base set up, there’s no reason why they couldn’t run routes from both Portsmouth and Plymouth, if there is enough demand (which there could well be after today’s announcement.  Give both CF and PA something to do while they are waiting for Spain to become green.

It would make sense to continue Portugal as a seasonal route (one return a week), that would give those wanting to go to Portugal a good option and also make for some decent touring holidays involving both Spain and Portugal.

However, I am not sure that a knee jerk reaction to a temporary problem is the answer.

• Like 1

Extract from BBC Live News:-

Tourists from the UK will be allowed to visit Portugal from Monday, the country's minister of state for foreign affairs has said.

Anyone arriving in the country will need to have had a PCR test 72 hours before departure, according to VisitPortugal, the website developed by the country's National Tourism Authority.

Work is also under way to ensure there is enough testing capacity in Portugal, it adds.

The announcement comes despite Portugal extending its "state of public calamity" on the mainland - the second highest level of alert - for a further 15 days from Monday, until 30 May.

18 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

According to the BBC R4 news this evening all the football fans will have to fly in and out on charter flights and will be kept in a bubble (presumably one bubble per team) for the entire time. Therefore BF may not need to rush its new service into operation.

Ed

Well, unless things have changed, BF has always refused to carry football supporters. When I worked for them sometime ago, there was a big football thing in Spain, and in reservations, agents were told to ask if customers were going for the football, and if the answer was yes, then the reservation would be denied. And on departures of the VAL to Spain, we were also checking, and a few got denied access to the ship.

I think that BF is looking at holiday makers and home owners really.

• Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Extract from BBC Live News:-

Tourists from the UK will be allowed to visit Portugal from Monday, the country's minister of state for foreign affairs has said.

Anyone arriving in the country will need to have had a PCR test 72 hours before departure, according to VisitPortugal, the website developed by the country's National Tourism Authority.

Work is also under way to ensure there is enough testing capacity in Portugal, it adds.

The announcement comes despite Portugal extending its "state of public calamity" on the mainland - the second highest level of alert - for a further 15 days from Monday, until 30 May.

Any country which describes Covid as 'a state of public calamity' can't be bad. Presumably this is their equivalent of a three-tier system preceded by a 'national gnashing of teeth' and then a 'national wringing of hands'. 

Ed

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LD said:

Well, unless things have changed, BF has always refused to carry football supporters. When I worked for them sometime ago, there was a big football thing in Spain, and in reservations, agents were told to ask if customers were going for the football, and if the answer was yes, then the reservation would be denied. And on departures of the VAL to Spain, we were also checking, and a few got denied access to the ship.

I think that BF is looking at holiday makers and home owners really.

Still get large groups of men on a weekend P-up.  Remember one of my daytrips on you know who, there were a gang of lairy blokes who were drinking practically the whole crossing, drinking the whole time they were in Cherbourg, then all the way back.  I stayed as far away from them as possible on board, but while we were waiting to disembark, and were in the port bus and the customs queue, it was really intimidating.  All the can we come to a party at yours and stuff, and when I ignored them, they became abusive.  Glad to get into a cab and safety.  Just hate large groups of lairy men, no better than football fans, in fact worse.

• Sad 1

Plymouth or Portsmouth, I don't care, but Portugal! I've been longing for this to happen for years. I love Santander, but every so often a change in my route to the Alentejo in Portugal and Extramadura in Spain would be welcome. Setubal rather than Porto, though, for me. 30 hours? No problem. For me it's a holiday, not a race. Time to sleep, time to read, time to eat, time to drink. Bring it on…

• Like 3

Anyone who plans to go should clearly do so ASAP, I think, given last night's press conference.

If it's a 30-hour crossing and you need a negative test 72 hours before arrival then the logistics are going to be quite complex.

Ed

17 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

Won't they want to run down and do a berthing trial before going "live"?

The corporate jet flew down to Santander and back at the start of this week so perhaps they did some aerial reconnaissance at the same time. Or they had run out of cheap ciggies at head office.

Ed

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

Won't they want to run down and do a berthing trial before going "live"?

If they leave Le Havre on the 19th, they have time for loading stuff and getting down for trials and still start on the 24th.

They may even load the stuff at the Le Havre roro terminal.

Edited by David Williams

40 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If it's a 30-hour crossing and you need a negative test 72 hours before arrival then the logistics are going to be quite complex.

I think that Portugal is 72 hours before departure, however hopefully it will be spelt out officially, however it must be the PCR test.

It would not surprise me for us to get banned again soon due to the Indian Variant.