Portugal route?

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

But they will take cyclists which rather negates the financial argument as they only pay a fraction of the car price.

Ed

That depends on the fraction you’re referring to Ed. I’m aiming to get back to Emsworth a week tonight on Galicia, I’ve just done a trial booking with a bike against  car - £40/ £119 plus the cost of accommodation. On the basis à bike limits your cheddar cheese/Branston Pickle/Marmite options on the return journey I could just have torpedoed your financial argument theory...😂

Chris

8 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

That depends on the fraction you’re referring to Ed. I’m aiming to get back to Emsworth a week tonight on Galicia, I’ve just done a trial booking with a bike against  car - £40/ £119 plus the cost of accommodation. On the basis à bike limits your cheddar cheese/Branston Pickle/Marmite options on the return journey I could just have torpedoed your financial argument theory...😂

Chris

1/3 is a significant fraction. Of course you only pay once for a car no matter how many people you put in it whereas each cyclist pays separately. Therefore it's quite difficult to work out how much BF might be losing by taking cyclists.

Ed

The announcement has been delayed according to local news - BF are still negotiating with a aim of early June - if they go ahead

There is no intention of carrying football fans for the match end of May 

• Thanks 1

They should not be running it this year, it would be more sensible to start it next year, however that will annoy those whose plans are changed, however there will not be many and there are other realistic options.

I would hope that after Europe has announced guidance that lets us in, that Spain  will allow us in next month. It would be totally wrong for BF to ruin the holiday plans for those with PA bookings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

PA departure from Le Havre has been moved to the 24th May, it was scheduled to depart today.

Will she be heading to Plymouth?

The CV newsletter says:-

As you may have seen in recent media coverage, we’re looking seriously at the potential of a UK to Porto route, to commence in June. A firm decision should be made imminently following discussions with port partners in the UK and Portugal. Portsmouth or Plymouth will be the UK departure point offering twice weekly return sailings. If it goes ahead this would be the first time in more than 40 years that Brittany Ferries has opened a route to a new country and will offer travellers the opportunity to avoid airport hassles and sail direct to the first major tourist destination to make it onto the UK government’s green list.

It says Portsmouth or Plymouth, maybe it will be one from each.

However Portugal does not seem to be a good way of getting to Spain with all of the testing !

I find the use of the word “will” rather than “would” to be interesting.  (Although that interest probably credits the attention to grammatical detail of the BF press release writer team more generosity than is warranted).

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I find the use of the word “will” rather than “would” to be interesting.  (Although that interest probably credits the attention to grammatical detail of BF press release writer team more generously than is warranted).

The entire phrase is a mash-up of mixed conditionals (with both 'would' and 'will') so it's difficult to know what the underlying message really is.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

The more interesting bit is ‘A firm decision should be made imminently’, I trust that a decision will be made imminently.

It is interesting that it seems to be a popular idea and one that should feature in future timetables if it can be profitable with an extra 50% distance. If they were to do it now it should be on the basis of existing crossings temporarily going to Portugal whilst Spain remains Orange that way people booked on the ships have an option.

11 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The more interesting bit is ‘A firm decision should be made imminently’, I trust that a decision will be made imminently.

You don’t find the use of “will”, implying that (despite the bit you quoted) a decision might have already been made, interesting?

59 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You don’t find the use of “will”, implying that (despite the bit you quoted) a decision might have already been made, interesting?

No as the later will is linked to an if.  

Must be horrible making a decision with everything changing, I guess that they also had to decide whether to restart on the 6th or not. 

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

No as the later will is linked to an if.  

Quite right. The second "will" is subordinated to the first "would" by the conjunction "and" so that it keeps its conditional rather than future sense. If the press release writer learnt English as a foreign language he/she would probably know this. However, if he/she is a native speaker, it's anybody's guess as to whether the future or conditional is implied! As we old TEFL people used to say, nothing really sticks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Quite right. The second "will" is subordinated to the first "would" by the conjunction "and" so that it keeps its conditional rather than future sense. If the press release writer learnt English as a foreign language he/she would probably know this. However, if he/she is a native speaker, it's anybody's guess as to whether the future or conditional is implied! As we old TEFL people used to say, nothing really sticks.

I'm out of a job!

Ed

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonno said:

Oh well, they better think about bringing the plane back now then.

She flew there on Friday morning and back in the evening according to a flight tracking website. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

Good, looks like it is based on a press release.

Given the Author of the article is on this forum, perhaps he would like to comment !

9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Given the Author of the article is on this forum, perhaps he would like to comment !

He may or may not - if he does, great, but if not, don’t hold your breath!  I know he prefers to post his insights in other communities these days, for reasons that are his prerogative.  But this development is entirely unsurprising - it was only going to be a goer in the short term if there was no sign of travel to Spain becoming possible.

• Like 3

It’s official

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/as-spain-gears-up-to-welcome-tourists-plan-for-new-porto-route-is-shelved-for-now/

Brittany Ferries has confirmed that it will not open a new route connecting the UK with Portugal this summer. It follows a week of constructive discussions with representatives in Porto, and a site visit by senior members of Brittany Ferries’ technical, ports and strategy teams. However, the decision to re-open Spain to British tourists, combined with falling Covid cases and rapidly rising vaccination rates in the country, means opening a new Porto route is no longer commercially viable.

“Technically, we could open a route to Porto, but the game changed rapidly on Friday with the announcement from Spanish authorities,” explained Christophe Mathieu CEO Brittany Ferries. “It simply wouldn’t make sense to open a new route – and displace passengers already booked on services to Spain – if our second biggest market is open for business. We hope and expect Spain to be placed on the UK’s green list at the first review in early June and for that reason we took the decision to shelve the plan.”

But this is not the end. “We have been overwhelmed by messages of support from existing passengers, new customers and via social media urging us to sail to Porto,” added M. Mathieu. “So, while I am sure there will be disappointment, when it comes to Portugal we never say never.”

Last week, Spanish authorities confirmed the country would open for tourism from Monday 24 May and that Brits would not need to take a PCR test before arrival. Meanwhile, data continues to show a rapid rise in vaccination rates. Around half the Spanish population has now been vaccinated against Covid-19. New Covid cases have also fallen to their lowest levels since August 2020.

Once Spain is open for business (and gets the green light from UK government), I wonder whether there might be enough demand to warrant BF considering an enhanced service?  If the existing published sailings to Spain rapidly become booked up then I wonder, for instance, whether they might add a couple of sailings using Bretagne, while France is firmly off the agenda?

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

If the existing published sailings to Spain rapidly become booked up then I wonder, for instance, whether they might add a couple of sailings using Bretagne, while France is firmly off the agenda?

I did look at a quote for a Spanish crossing in case our St Malo is a no-go in July. Portsmouth to Santander in commodore back and club cabin out is quoted at £1547. This compares to my cancelled Spanish trip last year in Commodore cabins both ways at £1309, so on a like-for-like basis this is an increase of £350 or about 25%. Is this about right for BF price increases?

Well it may be kicked into touch for now, but I suspect a fair number of those who travel to Portugal and SW Spain in the Winter would welcome a ferry to Portugal. The journey across Spain in Winter is windy, cold and miserable by virtually any route. It is a sign that the weather in Winter is poor given the number of roads that have snow marker poles; a distinct contrast to the heat of Summer. I can't remember the exact number but a fair proportion of the cars arriving at Santander a couple of years ago were trapped on their way to Palencia and had to be rescued by the Spanish police and army.

The down side is the potential for a rough passage, but that is just as likely going to Santander/Bilbao anyway. 

• Like 2