Stena Line duty free round-trips

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Not a bad idea if you're desperate for a ferry trip

Or desperate for alcohol and a day out away from Wales , duty free sales only allowed on the return leg from Dublin or Rosslare , PCR Test  and Passenger Locator Form required if you want to disembark in Ireland otherwise stay onboard during the turnaround .

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Or desperate for alcohol and a day out away from Wales , duty free sales only allowed on the return leg from Dublin or Rosslare , PCR Test  and Passenger Locator Form required if you want to disembark in Ireland otherwise stay onboard during the turnaround .

If you did disembark, realistically, where could you actually go in the time available? For example is there enough time to get in to Dublin and back, or to Rosslare beach? 

Posted (edited)

If you live in Holyhead, it would be pleasant trip and a saving on booze

Pleasantness rather depends on the weather in the Irish Sea and you might do better buying in UK Sainsbury taking into account the fare cost and onboard spend.

I've always subscribed to the argument that the greatest benefit of ferry travel is getting off at the other end and exploring interesting places.

Edited by cvabishop

Only one sailing a day at the moment on Fishguard /Rosslare , depart Fishguard 13: 00  arrive Rosslare 16:30  depart again at 23:45 ( over 7 hours later ) arrive back Fishguard at 03:45 , Holyhead /Dublin has better options .

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to a voyage on Stena Estrid with these duty-free day trips.  Not a fantastic ship, and evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but fine for the central corridor. Hope they’ve improved outside deck seating though (and the food is nothing to write home about).

Fair play though to Stena Line for this initiative. I don’t recall day trips being available with Irish Ferries for a long time (even pre-covid), which is a pity as Blue Star 1 and the Pembroke Dock - Rosslare route are quite appealing in these testing times.

Edited by Hampshire
Grammatical error
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hampshire said:

Looking forward to a voyage on Stena Estrid with these duty-free day trips.  Not a fantastic ship, and evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but fine for the central corridor. Hope they’ve improved outside deck seating though (and the food is nothing to write home about).

Fair play though to Stena Line for this initiative. I don’t recall day trips being available with Irish Ferries for a long time (even pre-covid), which is a pity as Blue Star 1 and the Pembroke Dock - Rosslare route are quite appealing in these testing times.

Unfortunately Stena Estrid is only operating to France at the moment, the £10 fare would be worth it to check out the new ship if she where on the Ireland UK route , Irish Ferries are offering duty free on Ulysses inbound to the UK from Dublin , it's a click and collect system online before travel with collection onboard .

According to the link, Stena Estrid should be available from 28th May.

I'm not too familiar with Dublin port and so what I'm curious to know is, if you did disembark, would you actually be able to get anywhere, i.e. the city itself, in the time available? 

40 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I'm not too familiar with Dublin port and so what I'm curious to know is, if you did disembark, would you actually be able to get anywhere, i.e. the city itself, in the time available? 

There is a Dublin Bus ( number 530)  service from the Irish Ferries terminal  into Dublin City of about 18 min journey time , it's possible to see the ferry terminal from the city centre .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

That should be bus number 53 not 530 my mistake , Transport for Ireland web site will give you all you need to know .

Only problem with disembarking in Dublin is you presently need a negative PCR test 72 hours prior to arrival in Ireland, plus a completed form saying where you will be quarantining. For us who live over here we're hoping rules will change soon, but Indian variant is causing a few worries.  

20 hours ago, Chef said:

There is a Dublin Bus ( number 530)  service from the Irish Ferries terminal  into Dublin City of about 18 min journey time , it's possible to see the ferry terminal from the city centre .

In that case surely you can therefore see the city centre from the terminal and don't actually need to go into town. ūü§£

18 hours ago, Chef said:

That should be bus number 53 not 530 my mistake , Transport for Ireland web site will give you all you need to know .

Classic Irish exaggeration after a few pints. ūü§≠ Either that or Number 530 is the service to Craggy Island.¬†

46 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Indian variant is causing a few worries

Soon to be officially reclassified as 'Vindaflu'.

Ed

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 18:37, cvabishop said:

Pleasantness rather depends on the weather in the Irish Sea and you might do better buying in UK Sainsbury taking into account the fare cost and onboard spend.

I've always subscribed to the argument that the greatest benefit of ferry travel is getting off at the other end and exploring interesting places.

I'd be inclined to largely agree, but I'm also of the mind the journey should be part of the experience. If I lived closer to Holyhead this would be very tempting, and I probably wouldn't be doing any shopping!

@Cabin-boyI see the jokes have not improved...

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Soon to be officially reclassified as 'Vindaflu'.

I know you threatened to get your coat, did you come back for your scarf?

Another timeless classic from our resident language boffin.ūüĎć

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Another timeless classic from our resident language boffin

Our resident ......... boffin, fill the blank in yourselves.

16 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Classic Irish exaggeration after a few pints. ūü§≠ Either that or Number 530 is the service to Craggy Island.

Well we can rule out the pints so it must be the Number 530 bus to Craggy Island via Termonfeckin .

• Haha 1