PCR turn-around time and ferry travel

Hello experienced ferry users.  I am hoping you can help with this cunundrum.  Where a PCR test is required within 72 hours of entering a country, there seems to be a particular problem for longer ferry journeys:  If the test requires up to 48 hours for a result, and a crossing is long (e.g 18 hours), that leaves almost no margin of error for entering a country. In this case, if the ferry was 6 hours late, then potentially passengers could be denied disembarking.  The 72 hours rule works fine for most shorter flights but ferry travel (apart from the shortest cross channel routes) looks marginal.  Has anyone run the gauntlet on a PCR test 48 hours old and starting a longer ferry crossing?   I had hoped to do France-Ireland with family this summer, but with unvaccinated children in tow I wonder if I would be better off flying.

ANy guidance appreciated!

B/F. Customer service desk will have been asked this many times already and will be well placed to advise you. But yes, in your situation I would fly. Good wishes. 

Word of warning to those sailing to/from Ireland (when allowed). The rules for travelling back to Ireland require PCR test up to 72 hours before arrival. Makes life a bit more diificult.

On French TV last night they explained that anyone who has a French EU health card can show that in another EU country and get 50€ off the price of a PCR test to travel home. You only pay the balance of the test price. This is apparently to simplify the travel system and compensate for wild fluctuations in test prices between nations and particularly in tourist hotspots.

Ed

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/05/2021 at 06:26, BigDW1946 said:

Word of warning to those sailing to/from Ireland (when allowed). The rules for travelling back to Ireland require PCR test up to 72 hours before arrival. Makes life a bit more diificult.

i arrived from bilbao  8pm11/06/21 in rosslare ...connemara had to wait till 9.30 pm for another ferry to leave before we could dock....i got pcr test on wednesday morning 9/6/21.at 8am in almeria cost was 95 euro...drove from almeria to madrid...stopped overnight in pinto madrid and left madrid and headed to bilbao.my pcr results were available from 3pm to download on 10/6/21....and i checked in at 4.15pm .....upon checkin pcr was required and i then proceeded to waiting lanes...where all cars were rigisouly checked by 4 spanish guardia civil....all trucks /vans/camper vans were xrayed.....before we got to passport control there was anouther check by guardia civil and they were emptying cars of most contents...tobacco was the question they kept asking how much we had....connemara left on time ...very plesent crossing ....food is good and usual average prices....not like pont aven standards...but was totally fine...and upon arrival in rosslare the guards on duty asked for passports/passenger location form/negative psr test results.....even tho you cant board ferry to ireland without negative pcr results.......hope this info is of help to people...