Summer's finally here and...

... we've had a couple of hours of sunshine this afternoon, just enough to tempt the second hornet of the year into the conservatory. This is him/her/it after electrocution and impalement on a kebab stick (for scale) and before stoning with a large rock.

Ed

20210527_195003.jpg

20210527_195014.jpg

12 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

... we've had a couple of hours of sunshine this afternoon, just enough to tempt the second hornet of the year into the conservatory. This is him/her/it after electrocution and impalement on a kebab stick (for scale) and before stoning with a large rock.

Ed

20210527_195003.jpg

20210527_195014.jpg

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

You`re kindness personified😂

Have you ever seen one of these things. European hornets are big and aggressive. I did once try the footwear technique but it left a flip-flop-sized hole in my conservatory window. Hence the zapper. 

Ed

20210528_083027.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, eddy said:

Good looking piece of kit. Still using one of these, where do I upgrade?

flyswat.jpeg

Try your local garden centre or hardware store.

The previous one I had was mains-rechargable and the whine it gave off was apparently audible to cats and dogs within a 1 mile radius. Unfortunately it burned itself out so I got this cheaper battery operated one.

Ed

Summer is finally here - and Plymouth Terminal is a building site. I got completely lost trying to find the car park at the terminal this afternoon…

any ideas what is being built. The “Lanes” are all gone, so not sure where you suppose to go after checking in.

F131ADFE-7D46-4C56-B070-7DF575964919.jpeg

BE3E6CA9-3B48-40B0-9EE3-681B1867B806.jpeg

Hornet number three came to visit this evening. He somehow got into our roller blind and after a couple of return trips through the mechanism, and a dose of deodorant to disorientate him, fell onto the floor to meet the 'tennis racquet of doom'!

Ha ha ha! ☠️

Ed

20210531_202246.jpg

• Like 1

Those rackets are a godsend against hornets and the tiger mosquitoes, but not recommended for those stink beetles which plague us in late summer; they get in to our place in Roussillon through the tiniest of cracks. Whacking them or using hoover is not a good idea as the stench lingers. Best to flick them into jar of detergent and water. Just hope we sealed all the windows when we left last October. We've even found the odd one, still alive in the car, this spring here at home.

• 3 weeks later...

1st interesting fact of the evening...hornets can survive a surprisingly long time when stabbed through the thorax.

2nd interesting fact of the evening...they appear to contain some sort of blood-like substance which has now stained my favourite hornet-crusing stone (a granite block brought back from Jersey).

Ed

20210618_203945.jpg

• Haha 1