Summer's finally here and...

... we've had a couple of hours of sunshine this afternoon, just enough to tempt the second hornet of the year into the conservatory. This is him/her/it after electrocution and impalement on a kebab stick (for scale) and before stoning with a large rock.

Ed

20210527_195003.jpg

20210527_195014.jpg

12 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

... we've had a couple of hours of sunshine this afternoon, just enough to tempt the second hornet of the year into the conservatory. This is him/her/it after electrocution and impalement on a kebab stick (for scale) and before stoning with a large rock.

Ed

20210527_195003.jpg

20210527_195014.jpg

8 minutes ago, Paully said:

You`re kindness personified😂

Have you ever seen one of these things. European hornets are big and aggressive. I did once try the footwear technique but it left a flip-flop-sized hole in my conservatory window. Hence the zapper. 

Ed

20210528_083027.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, eddy said:

Good looking piece of kit. Still using one of these, where do I upgrade?

flyswat.jpeg

Try your local garden centre or hardware store.

The previous one I had was mains-rechargable and the whine it gave off was apparently audible to cats and dogs within a 1 mile radius. Unfortunately it burned itself out so I got this cheaper battery operated one.

Ed

Summer is finally here - and Plymouth Terminal is a building site. I got completely lost trying to find the car park at the terminal this afternoon…

any ideas what is being built. The “Lanes” are all gone, so not sure where you suppose to go after checking in.

F131ADFE-7D46-4C56-B070-7DF575964919.jpeg

BE3E6CA9-3B48-40B0-9EE3-681B1867B806.jpeg

Hornet number three came to visit this evening. He somehow got into our roller blind and after a couple of return trips through the mechanism, and a dose of deodorant to disorientate him, fell onto the floor to meet the 'tennis racquet of doom'!

Ha ha ha! ☠️

Ed

20210531_202246.jpg

• Like 1

Those rackets are a godsend against hornets and the tiger mosquitoes, but not recommended for those stink beetles which plague us in late summer; they get in to our place in Roussillon through the tiniest of cracks. Whacking them or using hoover is not a good idea as the stench lingers. Best to flick them into jar of detergent and water. Just hope we sealed all the windows when we left last October. We've even found the odd one, still alive in the car, this spring here at home.

• 3 weeks later...

1st interesting fact of the evening...hornets can survive a surprisingly long time when stabbed through the thorax.

2nd interesting fact of the evening...they appear to contain some sort of blood-like substance which has now stained my favourite hornet-crusing stone (a granite block brought back from Jersey).

Ed

20210618_203945.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Summer here normally means that the Loire and other rivers are too low for certain activities to take place (kayaking and cruises in particular). This year however it's the opposite. A new ferry introduced in early June to get people across the Sarthe had been suspended until further notice as water levels are to high. I assume it's either due to the current bring too strong or the pontoons it moors at being too high to safely access.

https://angers.maville.com/actu/actudet_--cantenay.-le-nouveau-bac-pass-sarthe-est-actuellement-hors-service-_52728-4715450_actu.Htm

Ed

• Like 1

... I'm contemplating a trip to Jersey next Saturday. 

Condor are offering day-trip bookings and the entry rules have just changed. From Tuesday, fully vaccinated people (which will include me next Friday - injection plus 2 weeks) need to take a free PCR test on arrival but don't need to quarantine until the result arrives. That theoretically means I can do what I want for the day with no restrictions.

I'm now trying to determine whether coming back into France is so simple which is not as easy as you might think as I can't work out if Jersey is lumped in with the UK or treated as a separate entity. 

The other option is a family weekend in Le Mans with the added pleasure of having to repatriate a clapped out old bicycle they are trying to get rid of.

Ed

Whilst we’re on the topic of covid tests!!

Do you know where one can get the covid test to travel on the ferry in the Plymouth area?

One would imagine due to their being a ferry port there would be a facility nearby.

We want to take an easy few days to get to Plymouth so we will not be able to do the test in our local area as we would be over the time limit.

Posted (edited)

Not sure about summer but Christmas seems to have come early for BF. Our return crossing in September when checked on the 4/07/2021 was £368.00 for a fully Flex ticket it is now £477.00. The economy ticket is now £432.00. I know about algorithms but I suspect this has had a bit of human help. i was thinking of moving it out a bit but not so sure now. I wonder how much it will hurt if left till the last minute

Edited by IanN

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The other option is a family weekend in Le Mans

I worked the months of July and September in the Renault factory in Le Mans in the mid 70s. If your stub axle carriers on your Renault 12 were wonky, it might be my fault. The nutters are also responsible for my uncontrollable Ricard addiction.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Do boots the chemist actually do the test there and then?

For travel to France ..They will do an in store antigen test with results within one hour. Make an appointment in advance. 

For travel to Spain ..If you have proof of double vaccination completed two weeks or more before travel you do not need a test.

Edited by wortley
  • Like 1

May I ask another question?  

if you have had a EU vaccine passport from Portugal or Spain, do you have to quarantine when arriving in the U.K., or is this non quarantine for only NHS vaccines?

8 minutes ago, Lofty said:

May I ask another question?  

if you have had a EU vaccine passport from Portugal or Spain, do you have to quarantine when arriving in the U.K., or is this non quarantine for only NHS vaccines?

Today’s English announcement only concerned UK certificates, no changes were announced for other certificates, therefore an adult coming from into England from an amber country without a UK certificate needs to quarantine, this is likely to change once they can read the EU codes.

10 hours ago, IanN said:

Not sure about summer but Christmas seems to have come early for BF. Our return crossing in September when checked on the 4/07/2021 was £368.00 for a fully Flex ticket it is now £477.00. The economy ticket is now £432.00. I know about algorithms but I suspect this has had a bit of human help. i was thinking of moving it out a bit but not so sure now. I wonder how much it will hurt if left till the last minute

My sincere apologise to all especially BF I obviously did something wrong as the price this morning is back to where it was before. Mods please remove my previous post