Summer's finally here and...

12 hours ago, David Williams said:

therefore an adult coming from into England from an amber country without a UK certificate needs to quarantine,

Like Mick Jagger flying in for a football match😬

9 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

In BF's CEO's message (updated yesterday) there is a link to a deal BF have set up with Randox for covid testing. Any use?

I don't think so. When in search of how to get a test done in Santander for a return sailing on a Monday in September I emailed BF and they sent me the link. You have to drop the sample off in the Algarve. I pointed out that the Algarve is in southern Portugal and the last time I looked Santander is in northern Spain. I told them it was not much help and they said they were sorry they couldn't do more. The Randox site talks about flights and doesn't even mention ferries. Ironically we are actually in south west Spain on the Friday so could theoretically drive the 150km into the Algarve to drop off the sample on our way back to Santander. Not much of a detour.....

The problem is the 72 hour rule spread over a weekend. There appears to be one test lab in Santander, but I don't know how it will fare if several hundred passengers rock up at 10 on the Monday morning hoping to get an antigen test done with results in time for a 1700 departure. We'll probably end up buying one of these kits you take with you from the UK and do the test and send a photo in.

2 hours ago, AmigoCirculo said:

I don't think so. When in search of how to get a test done in Santander for a return sailing on a Monday in September I emailed BF and they sent me the link. You have to drop the sample off in the Algarve. I pointed out that the Algarve is in southern Portugal and the last time I looked Santander is in northern Spain. I told them it was not much help and they said they were sorry they couldn't do more. The Randox site talks about flights and doesn't even mention ferries. Ironically we are actually in south west Spain on the Friday so could theoretically drive the 150km into the Algarve to drop off the sample on our way back to Santander. Not much of a detour.....

The problem is the 72 hour rule spread over a weekend. There appears to be one test lab in Santander, but I don't know how it will fare if several hundred passengers rock up at 10 on the Monday morning hoping to get an antigen test done with results in time for a 1700 departure. We'll probably end up buying one of these kits you take with you from the UK and do the test and send a photo in.

When we came over to U.K. 3 weeks ago we researched very carefully how best to deal with the “tests”. We start from Ayamonte on the Portuguese border so several test centres in eastern Algarve and Huelva Province were investigated. Our final choice was the test centre at Sevilla airport appointments at 08.00 and 08.05 booked online and paid for. We normally do the trip spread over two days with an overnight break in Salamanca. Before we had dinner the results were on our phones so we were ready to go.

However at Santander and Plymouth border control no one asked to see either our Covid Certificate or our PCR tests results so a lot of money was spent with no VISIBLE use!

1 minute ago, JohnMustow said:

When we came over to U.K. 3 weeks ago we researched very carefully how best to deal with the “tests”. We start from Ayamonte on the Portuguese border so several test centres in eastern Algarve and Huelva Province were investigated. Our final choice was the test centre at Sevilla airport appointments at 08.00 and 08.05 booked online and paid for. We normally do the trip spread over two days with an overnight break in Salamanca. Before we had dinner the results were on our phones so we were ready to go.

However at Santander and Plymouth border control no one asked to see either our Covid Certificate or our PCR tests results so a lot of money was spent with no VISIBLE use!

PS we also had to account for the weekend in our 72hr calculation and that became a non problem with the speed of the result.

22 hours ago, Lofty said:

May I ask another question?  

if you have had a EU vaccine passport from Portugal or Spain, do you have to quarantine when arriving in the U.K., or is this non quarantine for only NHS vaccines?

I am afraid that as the regulations stand someone who was vaccinated in an “amber”  country overseas does have to quarantine when arriving on UK - but it’s quarantine in a house not a hotel room, and there are signs that the UK government might perhaps relax that rule before long.

44 minutes ago, wortley said:

I am afraid that as the regulations stand someone who was vaccinated in an “amber”  country overseas does have to quarantine when arriving on UK - but it’s quarantine in a house not a hotel room, and there are signs that the UK government might perhaps relax that rule before long.

Border control at Plymouth showed absolutely no interest in our Spanish Covid certificate but were very keen to look at my TIE it was the first they had seen.

9 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

Border control at Plymouth showed absolutely no interest in our Spanish Covid certificate but were very keen to look at my TIE it was the first they had seen.

I always try to dress correctly when travelling too. 😀

Ed

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

PS we also had to account for the weekend in our 72hr calculation and that became a non problem with the speed of the result.

Yes, we looked at Sevilla airport as it's not much of a diversion from Mazagon to our stop in Trujillo and easy to get to on the Cordoba motorway. It also seems to have plenty of slots. We weren't sure about how easy access to the testing point and parking would be at the airport if you weren't actually flying. Any advice welcome! Thanks!

2 hours ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Yes, we looked at Sevilla airport as it's not much of a diversion from Mazagon to our stop in Trujillo and easy to get to on the Cordoba motorway. It also seems to have plenty of slots. We weren't sure about how easy access to the testing point and parking would be at the airport if you weren't actually flying. Any advice welcome! Thanks!

We worried about that but it turned out to be very easy. At about 07.30 we entered the multi story car opposite the terminal and found the floor with direct entrance to the departure level was almost full but we found a bay and walked into the terminal turned right and signs pointed us to the clinic just before the security lanes. Reported in and were told to sit in socially distanced chairs until they called us foreword. The technician spoke excellent English explained everything to us took the throat and nose swabs packaged them up and we left about 10 mins start to finish and a couple of euro for the car park. They must fly the early swabs to Madrid that’s where our tests were done. Results in about 6 hrs on our phones to show at embarkation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

…it’s time for a holiday game that the whole family can join in with.

Now that face coverings are no longer required in outside spaces over here in France, my children and I have invented a new game. The rules are very simple. When you see someone exiting a bakers, a shop or some other building they tend to remove their mask before heading to a car or walking away. So I give you: Mask Mug Morphology.

Before the mask comes off you have to quickly submit your guess of what type of mouth they have underneath: the basic 3 options are ‘normal’, ‘wide-mouth frog’ or ‘cat’s arse’. If you get it right (and everyone agrees) then you score one point. If, however, you suspect that the person might be something totally unique and can offer an original animal description based on what you can identify with the mask on (‘hawk’s beak’, ‘lizard’s nose’, ‘pug’s droop’) which is then unanimously accepted you get 2 points for imagination. The first to 11 is the winner.

Enjoy.

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

...as next Wednesday is Bastille Day I thought I'd perpetuate the French tradition of lopping off heads by subjecting the latest hornet to the same treatment.

Ed

20210711_113429.jpg

I hope that you humanely stunned him first Ed or you could fall foul of those members of the RSPCA who are trying make it law that all crustaceans, including crevettes, must be humanely stunned before being immersed in boiling water. Not sure if even a gentle blow on the back of your hornet's head with a club hammer would have qualified.

4 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

I hope that you humanely stunned him first Ed or you could fall foul of those members of the RSPCA who are trying make it law that all crustaceans, including crevettes, must be humanely stunned before being immersed in boiling water. Not sure if even a gentle blow on the back of your hornet's head with a club hammer would have qualified.

Does electrocution count?

Ed

It's now over a month since the girls were able to use the swimming pool due to the miserable weather. Does anyone have any tips on how I can turn it into a lobster hatchery to try and recoup some of the cost?

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's now over a month since the girls were able to use the swimming pool due to the miserable weather. Does anyone have any tips on how I can turn it into a lobster hatchery to try and recoup some of the cost?

Ed

At this rate I`d buy a very large pump and heat it up so at least you can get some sort of use...........although that`s not much use for lobsters obviously.

19 minutes ago, Paully said:

At this rate I`d buy a very large pump and heat it up so at least you can get some sort of use...........although that`s not much use for lobsters obviously.

The large pump is running 10 hours a day already but the solar heating system needs, err, sun to work. The water is 22 degrees today and has not budged for several weeks. Perhaps it will improve later in the week. 

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The large pump is running 10 hours a day already but the solar heating system needs, err, sun to work. The water is 22 degrees today and has not budged for several weeks. Perhaps it will improve later in the week. 

Ed

You need wetsuits at that sort of temperature

6 hours ago, Paully said:

You could offer to provide foster care for Wally the Walrus. The Iles for Scilly would be delighted 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Does the system control itself? All solar heating systems will provide some heat but if it is set to only work if the temp difference is above a certain figure you get no benefit.

I was told that the best solar system for pools was a large sheet of black plastic, a coil of alkathene pipe and a pump. . Its cloudy here in Cornwall today but black surfaces like my car are noticeably warm.

9 hours ago, BobCrox said:

I was told that the best solar system for pools was a large sheet of black plastic, a coil of alkathene pipe and a pump. . Its cloudy here in Cornwall today but black surfaces like my car are noticeably warm.

It's basically just a slightly more sophisticated version of that. The pump pushes the cleaned water through the radiator back into the pool.

It works well if we get decent sunshine. We had it up to 32 degrees in early June - almost too hot.

Ed

20210713_205123.jpg

19 hours ago, BobCrox said:

Does the system control itself? All solar heating systems will provide some heat but if it is set to only work if the temp difference is above a certain figure you get no benefit.

Funnily enough tried that system in Cornwall a few years ago, much to my wife's amusement - was a complete waste of time; when pump started the contents of hosepipe was reasonably warm but that was it.