Summer's finally here and...

26 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Funnily enough tried that system in Cornwall a few years ago, much to my wife's amusement - was a complete waste of time; when pump started the contents of hosepipe was reasonably warm but that was it.

The one I have works really well. It has feet at one end to raise it and I've set it up so that from May to September it gets direct sunlight from around 9am until 5pm. The pump runs from 7am to 5pm to first clean the pool from the previous day's swim and then heat the water. There is also a bubble cover and a green protective cover which absorb the sun's heat too.

Ed

6 minutes ago, IanN said:

Get some old central heating radiators paint them black put them out in the sun. Connect them to a pump simple and cheap

But radiators are a closed circuit and any rust etc. in the water stays in the loop. You couldn't have that in a swimming pool.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 14:36, JohnMustow said:

We worried about that but it turned out to be very easy. At about 07.30 we entered the multi story car opposite the terminal and found the floor with direct entrance to the departure level was almost full but we found a bay and walked into the terminal turned right and signs pointed us to the clinic just before the security lanes. Reported in and were told to sit in socially distanced chairs until they called us foreword. The technician spoke excellent English explained everything to us took the throat and nose swabs packaged them up and we left about 10 mins start to finish and a couple of euro for the car park. They must fly the early swabs to Madrid that’s where our tests were done. Results in about 6 hrs on our phones to show at embarkation.

I looked at the online form to book and it wanted a flight number as essential information. I've emailed their customer service in my best Castillian to ask what to put if you're not flying, but had no reply yet. What did you put in that box? Thanks.

4 hours ago, AmigoCirculo said:

I looked at the online form to book and it wanted a flight number as essential information. I've emailed their customer service in my best Castillian to ask what to put if you're not flying, but had no reply yet. What did you put in that box? Thanks.

We did not have a flight so no number when we did we just sent form off and when we got there told the technician we. We’re on Pont from Santander he used that and that was on our result email. Things may have changed now they are busier but I think you will stil get one.

• Thanks 1

... the roads are full of traffic. We drove down from Angers to Le Mont-Dore in the Massif Centrale today and it was pretty congested. There were a few Belgians, Germans, Swiss and Brits on the road but loads of Dutch seemingly taking their entire house with them. 

After Bourges we were joined on the road by the dreaded Parisians. They drive like I imagine Stevie Wonder would on the dodgems but without any of his charm or talent. They also all seemed to have their blue facemasks permanently cupping their chins. Either it's a fashion statement that hasn't made it as far as Angers yet or is designed to catch their brain each time the tiny orb falls out of their nose. 

I can't complain about the view down here though.

Ed

20210724_171811.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, la Bourboule in my mother's old Commer Autosleeper. Planned early morning departure from the bottom of the campsite. 1500 Hillman engine. Automatic. Slippy box. Rev, advance 20m, stop, same again, 30 ish times. Not that popular ...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, colin said:

Ah, la Bourboule in my mother's old Commer Autosleeper. Planned early morning departure from the bottom of the campsite. 1500 Hillman engine. Automatic. Slippy box. Rev, advance 20m, stop, same again, 30 ish times. Not that popular ...

There are a lot of campervans around, and motorhomes which seem increasingly popular. We went up to the cable-car station at the head of the valley last night to see what it was like, take in the view and realise it was bloody cold. There was a motorhome with 4 adults and a massive Saint-Bernard style dog having a very chilly dinner up there. Given the temperature I reckon they were about to have an argument about who got to sleep with the dog. 

Ed

20210724_203111.jpg

20210724_204136.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

... And this may be the last hornet of the summer if we are lucky. 

This one was drunk on fermenting windfall apples, weaving about all over the place, and then got run over by a size 44 shoe.

Beware the dangers of alcohol!

Ed

20211002_105849.jpg

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

... And this may be the last hornet of the summer if we are lucky. 

This one was drunk on fermenting windfall apples, weaving about all over the place, and then got run over by a size 44 shoe.

Beware the dangers of alcohol!

Ed

20211002_105849.jpg

It's the windfall plums that the bees are after in my garden.