What's it like now ?

Hi everyone, Just joined the forum although been a BF regular for 20 years. We have a small house on the Costa Blanca. Normally we would drive down there with our pooch from Bilbao or Santander carrying bits and bobs for the house, personal items etc, some favorite foods which are not available in Spain. Never any problem at the border. But of course we are now a third country subject to new customs regulations.  Our next trip is planned for August 2021 to Bilbao.  My question is to members on the forum in a similar situation to us  - would anyone who has sailed recently mind telling me of their experiences at either Bilbao or Santander customs under the new regime?  Thank you.  Saludo,  Freddie

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same question if anyone has recently sailed to Spain with personal possessions. We will be taking a laptop and a printer for work, a new rug and other small bits and bobs for the house such as cushions, a new kettle etc. No huge boxes of stuff- just a few things in the boot of a standard car.

Are we supposed to declare any of it or expect any questions etc when we arrive in Spain? We are sailing from Plymouth. 

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

If the (new) goods are for personal use, there should be no problems. The only thing I would recommend is to have/keep the receipts as this would prove that VAT was paid. 
if the items are “used” (ie you already own these products) there is no issue with bringing these goods in/out

might be worth keeping an itemised list of contents that you take on a very rare chance that you get a jobsworth, but customs are only interested in illegal goods, or traders as it costs too much to investigate.

(I do EU custom declarations everyday for a company - so have some knowledge).

Edited by PGTV

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your replies,PGTV and David. Yes, I read about the 430 euros limit on stuff, just confused how that would work in practice as even a used i-phone would be worth more than that!

Edited by glossopdodge

I believe that if you go over the limit everything in that person’s goods is taxable and vat-able at the appropriate level, it only applies to goods that you are importing and not for personal possessions that you will be taking home with you. There will be plenty of reading matter explaining this on the commission website. It is the same logic ( but not the same limits) worldwide when you are travelling.

Don’t take any of my comments as being a full explanation, you will need to keep digging.

That’s where the grey areas starts

if the good are being taken to your holiday home/2nd home and kept there. Then the Euro 430 applies. (As rightly stated by the other comment)
if you are moving the goods as you intend to live there (ie you are moving) - then it does not apply

but if you are taking the mentioned laptop with you to use for work (while you are in your holiday home), but you are bringing it back with you, then it’s personal use. Same applies with the suitcase containing your clothes and underwear. Hence the itemised list is handy, as you can show what was taken over, and what was coming back. Mobile phones, wallet with cash (but personal amount), car etc are all personal use.

the receipts are handy to show the value if you intend to “export” the items to your holiday home.

You can read about here

https://www.completefrance.com/living-in-france/customs-and-taxes-when-moving-furniture-to-france-1-6962027

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

What happens if you leave your wife behind? How do you break it to her that she's only worth 430€? For Cabin-girl, that would only just cover her hairdo.

Ed

Ed , can you let me have the name of Cabin-girl's coiffeuse? The very reasonable cost compared to Mrs C's hairdo would help offset the cost of PCR tests 😄

• Haha 1