Guernsey - Portsmouth on the Liberation

Unless I'm missing something, on Saturday 7th August, the 2x Condors appear to be doing the following:

Voyager: Poole - Jersey - St Malo (leaving Poole at 2.35

Liberation: - Poole - Guernsey - Portsmouth (Leaving Poole at 2.15)

So - 2 questions:

1) Why on the Sunday is Liberation then doing Poole - Guernsey again (having ended up in Portsmouth) - is it doing a Brittany Ferries trip in between because nothing is reported on the BF website (maybe this is a mistake??)

2) Why don't they just make Voyager pop into Guernsey and do it all in a single trip? I don't see the point of Liberation just doing Guernsey and back

I'm no expert so thought I'd chuck it out there.

Antony

The channel Islands is very popular this year due to not having to isolate on going or return. Condor has had a lot of bookings. One ship (Liberation) does Poole - Guernsey - Poole and the other (Voyager) does Poole - Jersey - St Malo - Jersey - Poole (Although being branded as a "New Direct Route Poole - Jersey - Poole"). There also talk of Condor operating some High Speed services for BF to Cherbourg in the initial reports of the charter so this would explain why she is going to Portsmouth rather than Poole on occasions.

You seem to have to for Jersey though? I booked thinking this, but if you read up, Jersey requires three PCR tests throught the stay, and you have to self isolate until the frst result arrives - not good if you are camping, as campsites don't let/want you self isolate

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone worked out the commercial logic of Liberation operating to Portsmouth on a friday and sat night then positioning to Poole. I see Liberation departed Portsmoth at 23.30 last night, arriving into Poole at 01:35. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, philldn said:

Has anyone worked out the commercial logic of Liberation operating to Portsmouth on a friday and sat night then positioning to Poole. I see Liberation departed Portsmoth at 23.30 last night, arriving into Poole at 01:35. 

She will, at some point when there is demand/after travel restrictions, then operate Portsmouth-France, on charter to Brittany Ferries. 

At the moment however, she sails light to Poole, though I'm surprised Condor haven't rescheduled these sailings to operate to Poole. They've been making alot of changes lately, and haven't even committed to publishing any timetables yet, so I'm not sure why they're persisting fast craft to Portsmouth right now. 

Edited by Manannan

They are no longer doing day trips according to their website which is a bummer as it is those which are popular.  Only short breaks/holidays.  Going to be expensive if one has to figure in accommodation as well.  I was planning an overnight in Guernsey anyway so can have time explore the war sites, but not every time!!

• 3 weeks later...

Travelled Guernsey to Poole on Monday (19th). Liberation late arriving; two hours late leaving; went back via Jersey; three boats in Jersey at the same time, so Voyager had to wait outside. Finally arrived at Poole at 2300 instead of the originally published 1810. The problem was Libby and Voyager both left Poole. Voyager went straight to Jersey and then sat there with St Malo passengers for hours waiting for Libby (can't it go into Guernsey?) Libby loaded for Guernsey and sailed over an hour late. When it got to St Peter Port, it took half an hour to offload Guernsey vehicles due to the very slow Covid processing in the harbour. It then took over an hour to load Guernsey-Jersey, Guernsey - St Malo and Guernsey - Poole vehicles, before leaving more than 2 hours late for Jersey. In Jersey it had to off load Guernsey - St Malo vehicles for transhipment onto Voyager and off load Guernsey - Jersey cars before loading Jersey - Poole traffic.  We left Jersey well over 2 hours behind even the revised schedule, ten minutes after the Clipper left for Guernsey (low tide in St Helier at 22.38) and passed Voyager waiting for a linkspan and overtook the Clipper, before a spectacular journey passing to the East of Guernsey and Alderney with an amazing haze-enhanced sunset.

Had Voyager called at Guernsey, Liberation need never have gone to Jersey!

Annoyed for three reasons really! No-one told me we were picking up in Jersey which has a high level Covid problem, whilst Guernsey is almost Covid free; two hours in the compound on Guernsey with a couple of hundred cars all with their engines running for the aircon and no explanations, offers of water/refreshments or advice of any sort from Condor, together with a text message stating that the 1510 departure was on time when it was already over an hour late!!!!; and then arriving in Poole at eleven, almost five hours after I had intended with a four hour journey ahead.

Finished moaning? Not quite. I had planned to go back to Guernsey today for 48 hours, only to discover that Condor have published their intentions to run just three fast ferries a week to Guernsey and only two returns. The Clipper continues its lovely services as before BUT I haven't always got time for that and overnight has become hugely less attractive as the per-cabin rate doesn't make any allowance for single travellers.  I want to travel by boat. Monday was my 107th Condor journey. But, midweek is now Aurigny without the car I'm afraid, and if Monday is anything to go by, I shall be thinking very carefully before trusting Condor again! I can't believe that The States of Guernsey are accepting the proposed very low level of service this Summer, when it is trying to re-establish its tourist industry.

Get used to a fast ferry free St Peter Port Harbour four days a week!

St Peter Port Harbour.jpg

Edited by pipwrite
typos
  • Sad 1

After a dreadful day on Monday, with a fast ferry journey taking 6 hours from Guernsey to Poole, I am finding it very difficult to trust Condor.

Departure from Poole today brought forward by five hours at short notice due to "forecast strong winds in the Channel."  True they were forecast at 26 knots with 2m wave height for most of the afternoon, with much calmer conditions after 1600hrs.

So how come Liberation managed to be at sea throughout the roughest conditions, and are 26 knot winds and 2 metre waves really concerning?

Liberation Poole depart 0843. Guernsey arrive 11.39. Guernsey depart 12.59. Portsmouth arrive 1657. Portsmouth depart 1743. Poole arrive 2003.

Yet again hundreds of passengers inconvenienced for dubious  'operational reasons.'

Condor have apparently refused to answer press enquiries ... it is about time that they came clean about what is really happening.

A few dozen journeys on Ben-My-Chree and Manannan and never once have they delivered anything less than promised! I wish I could say the same for Condor Ferries!

I have given up now ... Aurigny has gained a frequent flyer!

Edited by pipwrite
typos

I think the thing with Liberation’’s long delivery crossing from the Philippines was nothing to do with what she can or cannot cope with, but more to do with the fact that in that particular crossing she was only carrying Condor crew, not paying passengers.  I think it is more to do with the regulations concerning the safety of the carriage of passengers rather than whether or not she is able to withstand rough sea and high waves.  She can cope pretty well but she can be quite uncomfortable to some in bad sea conditions.  

As folk are about to find out pretty soon in a few weeks about how NEX handles autumnal seas. Don’t forget she has had an easy life under BF, operating only seasonally in the summer months, now, as people who seem to think she is the answer to their prayers as Voyager will find out, she will be a typical fast craft in rough sea.  She is longer than Rapide so could possibly be a different experience altogether and possibly more like Libby.

1 hour ago, captjack said:

Voyager will not be like Liberation, she a cat and the other one is a thin hulled mono with outriggers.

We will see.  People have short memories, enough complaints were abound about the former two CATS in rough weather, Express and Vitesse.  Rapide got off lightly as she was on the calmer St Malo route.  Stories of damaged vehicles ect after rough crossings.  Then that was conveniently forgotten when Liberation arrived and all the fury was aimed at her, yes she did not cover herself in glory at first, but this is what happens when fast craft operate in winter seas.  And lo and behold the cats were suddenly such paragons of virtue!!  They are never as comfortable as they are in summer months.  So Lib and the cats are both similar in that respect.  NEX/Voyager has never been used on autumnal/winter seas, so nobody can say that she will be better because she is a cat and she IS longer so she will feel different most likely.  I have seen that said somewhere else, cannot remember where, but her length will possibly prohibit her docking in high winds in somewhere like Guernsey.  And having seen Liberation struggling to get in, the former NEX will possibly end up fraying a few opinions as well.

Edited by Khaines

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

We will see.  People have short memories, enough complaints were abound about the former two CATS in rough weather, Express and Vitesse.  Rapide got off lightly as she was on the calmer St Malo route.  Stories of damaged vehicles ect after rough crossings.  Then that was conveniently forgotten when Liberation arrived and all the fury was aimed at her, yes she did not cover herself in glory at first, but this is what happens when fast craft operate in winter seas.  And lo and behold the cats were suddenly such paragons of virtue!!  They are never as comfortable as they are in summer months.  So Lib and the cats are both similar in that respect.  NEX/Voyager has never been used on autumnal/winter seas, so nobody can say that she will be better because she is a cat and she IS longer so she will feel different most likely.  I have seen that said somewhere else, cannot remember where, but her length will possibly prohibit her docking in high winds in somewhere like Guernsey.  And having seen Liberation struggling to get in, the former NEX will possibly end up fraying a few opinions as well.

To sum up these high speed vessels are not really suitable for a year round service to the islands.

The problem with the Channel Isles is that the route itself can throw up some pretty rough conditions on a regular basis but the harbours place constraints on the vessels that can be used.

Similar conditions apply to the Scilley Isele.

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

The problem with the Channel Isles is that the route itself can throw up some pretty rough conditions on a regular basis but the harbours place constraints on the vessels that can be used.

Similar conditions apply to the Scilley Isele.

The Isles of Scilly. Silly boy 😄

14 hours ago, adicat said:

Just not Earl Godwin...my only ever time of being sea sick. 

She certainly had very varied career with various owners over her more than 50 years in service (including a couple of Cornish holidays resting in the River Fal) before enjoying the Italian sunshine.. Eventually making her final trip to Turkey a couple of years ago.

But I think this paint job is a bit of an overkill even for Moby!

MOBY BABY.jpg

Edited by colinschandler

On 25/07/2021 at 13:22, colinschandler said:

She certainly had very varied career with various owners over her more than 50 years in service (including a couple of Cornish holidays resting in the River Fal) before enjoying the Italian sunshine.. Eventually making her final trip to Turkey a couple of years ago.

But I think this paint job is a bit of an overkill even for Moby!

MOBY BABY.jpg

Looks quite small. 

I have a love for Jersey and Guernsey, want to visit Alderney but flights full, and Sark. Best Holidays in Jersey were 1982 to 1993 with hotel staff parties in October where £20 for 3 day car hire, £25 a night for hotel that was £100 normally and free booze over weekend. Love watching reruns of Bergerac. Must have seem all episodes 4 times at least. Can't believe how much the island has changed.