Electric cars - recharged

5 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

I was simply stating that the power provided is significant. 

To be a bit pedantic, yes and no. Stored power does not mean power to use at that point but over a time period.

If the chassis has a 15kW motor and 30 kWh battery, you are only going to get 2 hours assistance at max power. Not sure how useful 2 hours would be for most caravan journeys. And it unlikely to run at max power so the relative assistance will be even less.

Thinking overnight it seems this seems to be a marketing point rather than practical feature, a bit like using an exercise bike to power your house, can be done but not very practical. Active station keeping yes, and power for the van when parked / positioning on campsite definitely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattler43 said:

Of course manufacturers always try to reduce costs. I'm not convinced that a car designed and built in 2000 is as good as a car designed and built in 2020 which I believe will not be as good as a car designed and built in 2030 or 2040. We all pay heavily for new innovations in all aspects of life to cover development costs hence my remarks about early adopters paying a high price.

Totally agree design and performance get better over time. My point was do not expect current models to get much better over time. Manufactures will not want to launch new vehicles until current model costs are recovered. Tesla may upset the apple cart but the rest will operate a bit like a cartel.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Shipping Forecast said:

Personally I cannot wait as everyday driving now has to be one of the most tedious things to do

Off topic

Edited by IanN

10 minutes ago, Shipping Forecast said:

If the chassis has a 15kW motor and 30 kWh battery, you are only going to get 2 hours assistance at max power.

I think it would be easy to achieve more than 30kwh of storage, but even two hours would be of use (especially if controlled to only supply on gradients or under acceleration).  

Thinking about it more simply, this problem (as perceived) is mainly one of range anxiety which becomes more acute when towing (for some - personally, once towing ranges of 200+ miles are possible, this becomes a non-issue). 

30kwh is roughly a 30% increase in battery capacity.  If you had the ability to extend your towing range (no power assistance beyond minimal stability inputs) by using a towed battery add-on, that could be a good selling point. Obviously, it's then your choice whether you arrive on site with little or no stored power, which you can then replenish through a hook up or trickle slowly via your solar supply. 

The other benefits of an integrated power mover for your caravan (as opposed to the after market solutions that everyone fits), off-grid ready camping and, potentially, some regen storage are already sought after things in the caravan world.  It's basically taking advantage (and expanding its capacity)of something that a lot of carvanners would chose, if the price was right

As an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences there is a piece in today's Times drawing attention to front gardens being paved over to allow for the provision of an electric car charging point.....

17 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

As an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences there is a piece in today's Times drawing attention to front gardens being paved over to allow for the provision of an electric car charging point.....

I think that has been happening for years, just to park any vehicle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Off topic

BEVs are already computers on wheels. Electrification driven by software that can be automated = autonomous EVs. Tesla, VW, Ford, GM, Hyundai, JLR etc are all doing it.

People can express an opinion on cabins, dogs, type of car, but it is OT to follow Rattler43 etc continuous improvement to a topic and express a small opinion about it.

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Tesla may upset the apple cart but the rest will operate a bit like a cartel.

Apple cart already upset a while back. The Ford Mach-E copies Tesla very closely, along with Xpeng, Nio, BYD from China. OTA software updates have been driven by Tesla. VW have stated obliquely that Tesla are the existential threat, Herbert Diess (CEO of VW) has instigated a special try to catch Tesla department and so on. The Germans car companies also have Tesla's European Gigafactory to contend with which is apparently attracting the best talent from the tradition German three.

The biggest mistake though is to think that Tesla is a car company. It is an umbrella energy technology company, whose mission is to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy", which involves -

Mobile energy - cars and car charging, largest charging network in the world, the bit most people have heard about. Part of this is autonomous driving and robo cars

Generation - solar panel and roof

Energy storage - commercial and domestic - they have just installed 400 MWh of their Megapacks in California to replace a peak power power station with GW battery installations being built. 2 smaller Megapack installations operating in the UK - Holes Bay and Burgess Hill

Energy management / trading with their autobidder software - which is used in the UK.

and looking mining, refining and other aspects to help their cause.

The applecart needed upsetting as the car manufacturers were (are) lazy, using deceptive practices while trading on past glories and stagnant technologies.

22 hours ago, Shipping Forecast said:

@Cabin-boy how is the new car?

So far, very impressive. Comfortable, responsive and with plenty of useful technology to make the driving experience more relaxing. I've had it for 48 hours now and am charging it up each evening and giving it a free top up during the day if a charger is available.

Today I did 90 kms from full and the battery is now showing a reserve of 60% and an available range of 117kms. That seems wholly realistic I think. The last few kms were in town so it might however be basing its calculations on that style of driving and not the longer distance routes.

I'll keep tabs on whether the range improves as I learn how to use the regeneration and freewheeling steering-wheel paddles more efficiently.

Ed

• Like 3

I found an article shedding a little more light on the towing situation which explains post of the issue is the unwillingness of manufacturers to go through the homologation process required if they charge the design.

I still think this is a shame for those like me who don't wish to tow but simply use a lightweight bike carrier.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.connexionfrance.com/Practical/Your-Questions/Why-are-electric-cars-in-France-not-allowed-to-tow&ved=2ahUKEwiL1_77887xAhURtRoKHbVGD2EQFnoECC0QAg&usg=AOvVaw1nC0GJk7ccW12TINYdRW-M&cshid=1625590712856

Ed

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed, if you want to put bikes on the roof as an alternative all the Mazda accessories are made by Thule (pronounced T' hoolee) so they're market leading and a little cheaper than the Swedish branded gear.

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

Ed, if you want to put bikes on the roof as an alternative all the Mazda accessories are made by Thule (pronounced T' hoolee) so they're market leading and a little cheaper than the Swedish branded gear.

Yes, there is a model-specific set of bars available at the dealership. The price includes the removal of the existing roof gutters and their replacement with new versions with built-in anchoring points. I think the price is around 300€. 

Ed

30 minutes ago, jonno said:

Put the kids and the wife up there as well and link the bikes to a generator. Any range problem will then be solved

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, IanN said:

Put the kids and the wife up there as well and link the bikes to a generator. Any range problem will then be solved

The latest Hyundai Ioniq 5 can apparently donate power to other stranded cars and I'd imagine that type of sharing technology will become commonplace in the near future.

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The latest Hyundai Ioniq 5 can apparently donate power to other stranded cars and I'd imagine that type of sharing technology will become commonplace in the near future.

Ed

Had a good look at one of these yesterday after watching Autogefuhl on Youtube, apparently you can also have a solar roof to help charge the batteries as well. 

I had a look in the boot, below the rear floor, and under the vehicle to see what might be there. 

In the boot there appears to be some sort of shielded box which might be the onboard charging system. 

Underneath the car there is a flat metal tray between the axles containing the battery pack and behind that a plastic panel hiding something.

There appears to be no option for bolting anything to the chassis as you can't actually access it. Hmm!

Ed

20210706_192549.jpg

20210706_192033.jpg

On 06/07/2021 at 23:11, jonno said:

apparently you can also have a solar roof to help charge the batteries as well. 

The solar panels are in the first Limited Edition models only, not going to be an option in the UK. Will add 5-6 km a day if in the South of France and lower latitudes. Not a huge amount of power for the extra cost.

Type 2 plug convertor is excellent plus there is another domestic plug socket in the cabin under the rear seats. Every EV should have at least one standard plug socket as a minimum. Will only work above 15% charge to protect the battery / motive power. Clever charging technology too.

The larger battery versions also has a 1600kg towing capacity option ...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Anybody got experience of Zappi (intelligent home charging unit for EVs) made by Myenergi. Can be used with solar power or programmed to use off-peak,etc.?

No but if my electrician ever deigns to get back to me those are exactly the type of questions I'll be asking him. 

On that subject, are Anderson wall chargers available in France? I haven't seen anything over here that will blend in quite as well to my new 'wood effect' cladding. 

Ed

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

No but if my electrician ever deigns to get back to me those are exactly the type of questions I'll be asking him. 

On that subject, are Anderson wall chargers available in France? I haven't seen anything over here that will blend in quite as well to my new 'wood effect' cladding. 

Ed

What, your new EV has wood effect cladding? You'll be telling us next that the rub strips on the side are colour coded dado rails and the sports package includes skirting board sills and diffusers.

I know the Citroen Cactus has duvet's glued to its sides but I think they're going a bit too far now with this green recycling lark.

I'm joking of course Ed but it's clearly now more tongue n groove rather than tongue n cheek.:D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

What, your new EV has wood effect cladding? You'll be telling us next that the rub strips on the side are colour coded dado rails and the sports package includes skirting board sills and diffusers.

I know the Citroen Cactus has duvet's glued to its sides but I think they're going a bit too far now with this green recycling lark.

I'm joking of course Ed but it's clearly now more tongue n groove rather than tongue n cheek.:D

There is actually cork used as a non-slip material inside the car on the door handles and centre console. The door cards are also partly made from recycled plastic bottles. Goodness only knows what the Vegan leather started out life as. 

The cladding is on our future extension to which the wall box will be mounted. We haven't chosen the final colour yet (by which I mean Cabin-girl hasn't told me what we are going for) so I'd like to see the wall-box options first.

Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Goodness only knows what the Vegan leather started out life as. 

All leather is Vegan, cows don't eat meat or any other animal based product. Never met an Alcantara cow though?

Pleather, comes from cows which like a bit of S&M... Honest!