Electric cars - recharged

9 hours ago, Tregastel said:

Considering an MX30 myself.

Go for it if you've made the calculations on how much range you need.

A word of warning, however. Make sure you plug it in to recharge each night if you can. I almost got caught out last week. 

On Tuesday morning I had 100%, used 20% getting to work, topped up with 10% during a customer visit and used 20% getting home. I arrived late and was due to leave early again on Wednesday morning so decided not to plug in as 70% was more than enough to cover the following day.

On Wednesday I used 20% getting to various customers, got a 10% boost (I hope you are following this!) and then used another 20% getting home. So when I arrived the car had 40% in the battery. 

For Thursday I knew I'd need a minimum of 50% to get to my customer and back. They have a charger and I'd be there for at least 6 hours but I never take the risk just in case their charging system is not working. Therefore I needed to charge on Wednesday night but we had that major storm blowing through and I was worried it might tear the plastic fuel-filler door off my car if I left it open. Therefore I didn't plug in overnight but did manage to add 10% between waking up and leaving as the wind had died. That meant I had 50% to get to my customer and back. I used 27% getting there so would have been close to zero on my return if their charger had been offline. Luckily it was working so everything was ok. 

This problem of range anxiety doesn't exist if you can, and do, plug in every night but owning an electric car requires a different way of thinking.

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Go for it if you've made the calculations on how much range you need.

A word of warning, however. Make sure you plug it in to recharge each night if you can. I almost got caught out last week. 

On Tuesday morning I had 100%, used 20% getting to work, topped up with 10% during a customer visit and used 20% getting home. I arrived late and was due to leave early again on Wednesday morning so decided not to plug in as 70% was more than enough to cover the following day.

On Wednesday I used 20% getting to various customers, got a 10% boost (I hope you are following this!) and then used another 20% getting home. So when I arrived the car had 40% in the battery. 

For Thursday I knew I'd need a minimum of 50% to get to my customer and back. They have a charger and I'd be there for at least 6 hours but I never take the risk just in case their charging system is not working. Therefore I needed to charge on Wednesday night but we had that major storm blowing through and I was worried it might tear the plastic fuel-filler door off my car if I left it open. Therefore I didn't plug in overnight but did manage to add 10% between waking up and leaving as the wind had died. That meant I had 50% to get to my customer and back. I used 27% getting there so would have been close to zero on my return if their charger had been offline. Luckily it was working so everything was ok. 

This problem of range anxiety doesn't exist if you can, and do, plug in every night but owning an electric car requires a different way of thinking.

Ed

Not sure about range anxiety but It does seem you have a severe case of % anxiety. It never bothered us being retired.

A quick calculation of how far is it? is the car charged? Can we get there and back on the charge in the car. If not take the diesel.  

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Not sure about range anxiety but It does seem you have a severe case of % anxiety. It never bothered us being retired.

A quick calculation of how far is it? is the car charged? Can we get there and back on the charge in the car. If not take the diesel.  

It's the first time in 4 months of ownership that I've had the problem and only due to the storm and my lack of preparedness. If I'd seen the forecast the previous evening I'd have changed the car as normal.

Ed

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

On Wednesday I used 20% getting to various customers, got a 10% boost (I hope you are following this!)

Never mind following it.I was losing the will to live with all this daily charging talk.

Can't wait for my new BMW 118i to arrive next week with 500+ mile range.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, spancophile said:

Never mind following it.I was losing the will to live with all this daily charging talk.

Is that all?! 700 miles easily in my old tank

That said, I'd be happy with an EV that does 200.  I don't think I've ever driven more than that without stopping for at least 10 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spancophile said:

Just bought a pre loved 120d and on the test drive the mileage range went up from 50 to 62 and I er, didn't drive slowly... on account that I felt the DPF needed a good blow through.

14 minutes ago, IanN said:

What does that feel like 😛 Is it pleasurable feeling or a painful one

Oooh 'tis lovely, I feel a lot lighter now...  Brunhilde is very happy. Nothing like a good blowing out the back end. You get it on the NHA-the national highways agency, not alas on the NHS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1