Condor Stena Vinga Rumours

Posted (edited)

Further to my posts elsewhere, including on this forum, I'm hearing persistent rumours, from usually good sources, that Condor could be about to charter Stena Vinga from Stena RORO. 

I thought Condor should have acquired Dueodde when she was disposed in 2013, at under 10 years old she could have been a good addition to their fleet. And again when Hammerodde was disposed of in 2018 Condor passed up a good opportunity for CI suitable ROPAX. So it would be interesting if now was the time Condor did manage to get one of the sisters. It's a badly kept secret Condor had one eye on the Ben-My-Chree, though when she is 'replaced' she will be staying with the Steam Packet. Any Ben charter would be short term, and she would return to Manx Waters for TT/FOM/Winter Service/Refit Cover. 

If this does happen it can only be a positive addition for Condor. Stena Vinga would increase freight and passenger capacity and allow Condor to offer two Portsmouth-CI Passenger Sailings each day, increasing service resilience. 

The Goodwill Schedule is, apparently, the busier for freight, so Stena Vinga should be well suited, with her extended vehicle decks. 

I'd also be interested to see what the next Condor Conventional Vessel is named. Does she become a Condor, or do they continue with Commodore for the Conventionals.  

Edited by Manannan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Where are Condor getting the money from for chartering NEX plus another ship ?

New owners (various) I would assume. BF are an equity partner and its in their interest to advance Condor`s operating abilities plus they save berth fees in Le Havre for the Nex, as was. If the Vinga rumours are true, hopefully, then it would be a charter fee rather than a large capital outlay, which makes sense at this time. In this respect both BF and Columbia Threadneedle will have given sanction for it. The funding will be through their usual banking arrangements with owners covenants.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Manannan said:

Further to my posts elsewhere, including on this forum, I'm hearing persistent rumours, from usually good sources, that Condor could be about to charter Stena Vinga from Stena RORO. 

I thought Condor should have acquired Dueodde when she was disposed in 2013, at under 10 years old she could have been a good addition to their fleet. And again when Hammerodde was disposed of in 2018 Condor passed up a good opportunity for CI suitable ROPAX. So it would be interesting if now was the time Condor did manage to get one of the sisters. It's a badly kept secret Condor had one eye on the Ben-My-Chree, though when she is 'replaced' she will be staying with the Steam Packet. Any Ben charter would be short term, and she would return to Manx Waters for TT/FOM/Winter Service/Refit Cover. 

If this does happen it can only be a positive addition for Condor. Stena Vinga would increase freight and passenger capacity and allow Condor to offer two Portsmouth-CI Passenger Sailings each day, increasing service resilience. 

The Goodwill Schedule is, apparently, the busier for freight, so Stena Vinga should be well suited, with her extended vehicle decks. 

I'd also be interested to see what the next Condor Conventional Vessel is named. Does she become a Condor, or do they continue with Commodore for the Conventionals.  

I doubt Macquarie were interested in buying anything at the time Stena acquired her. 

Colombia Threadneedle & BAI are looking to improve the service.

A bit Scary, I mentioned Vinga as a bit of joke last year when Stena relocated her to Ireland to cover for maintenance. She would be ideal for Condor especially if the plan is to replace Goodwill. Increased vehicle capacity and double the pax numbers on the conventional ferries.

Hasn't the ex Dueodde been in NZ for a decade or more now?

Hope it happens.

Edited by jonno
31 minutes ago, jonno said:

I doubt Macquarie were interested in buying anything at the time Stena acquired her. 

A bit Scary, I mentioned Vinga as a bit of joke last year when Stena relocated her to Ireland to cover for maintenance. She would be ideal for Condor especially if the plan is to replace Goodwill. Increased vehicle capacity and double the pax numbers on the conventional ferries.

Hope it happens.

Would be useful for Le Havre, until there is enough cash to install an accommodation block on Cotentin at least!

I was looking - the Vinga has outside single berth cabins. I bet they would be popular, if BF ever sold them. But they may likely be reserved for Freight drivers I guess?!

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Would be useful for Le Havre, until there is enough cash to install an accommodation block on Cotentin at least!

Le Havre to the Channel Islands is a route nobody has ever considered before, except perhaps one person! 

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, jonno said:

Hope it happens.

Wasn't it under Macquarie that Condor acquired Liberation though? 

I've long thought that one of those two would be ideal for Condor. 

Dueodde has been in New Zealand since 2013, at which point she was only eight. Now the twins are 16, still younger than Commodore Clipper, and I've no idea what Stena have done to her. Maybe she also received attention when she had her vehicle decks extended in around 2012. 

It can only be seen a positive for Condor Ferries though.  

1 minute ago, Manannan said:

Wasn't it under Macquarie that Condor acquired Liberation though? 

I've long thought that one of those two would be ideal for Condor. 

Dueodde has been in New Zealand since 2013, at which point she was only eight. Now the twins are 16, still younger than Commodore Clipper, and I've no idea what Stena have done to her. Maybe she also received attention when she had her vehicle decks extended in around 2012. 

It can only be seen a positive for Condor Ferries though.  

The main reason for Condor acquiring Liberation when owned by Macquarie was that they funded the vessel build and wanted a ROI so insisted that Condor had her. 

20 minutes ago, tecnosam6 said:

The main reason for Condor acquiring Liberation when owned by Macquarie was that they funded the vessel build and wanted a ROI so insisted that Condor had her. 

Said that when they got her especially at the price they paid for something no one else wanted leaving her tied to the quayside for over 4 years. They were that desperate they even entered into negotiations with none existent Euroferries.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Le Havre to the Channel Islands is a route nobody has ever considered before, except perhaps one person! 

Ed

I was thinking BF may use her directly Portsmouth - Le Havre at some point in the schedule.... maybe a part of 'exchange' agreement for the NEX, if BF wanted some limited passenger capacity for Le Havre this year...

Edited by hf_uk
57 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I was thinking BF may use her directly Portsmouth - Le Havre at some point in the schedule.... maybe a part of 'exchange' agreement for the NEX, if BF wanted some limited passenger capacity for Le Havre this year...

It's BAI alone not BF as a whole plus if the powers that be want pax capacity for Le Havre they can easily stoke Barfy's boilers.

This is about Condor revamping their conventional ferry offer it's not about BF.

• Like 3