COVID test for entering France

Apologies if this topic has been covered already. I live in North Devon and am trying to find a testing centre for the PCR or antigen test for entering France. Ideally, somewhere local or en route to Plymouth would be ideal. Has any member recent experience to share?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Confusing how to do the right thing” You’ve never spoken truer words Nodwad, hopefully by October the world will be a different place ....🤞 I don’t have much faith in politicians of any persuasi

Ed, nearly 3200 on the 18th but overall cases aren't the main issue anymore which is why France are lessening the restrictions. Paris & Normandy are still the busiest as of the 19th with a fu

I think that anyone who in a calm fashion reviews any figures I have given will find balance. I am not so stupid as to not check a range of sources, official and those analysing the official figures.

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, french alvin said:

Apologies if this topic has been covered already. I live in North Devon and am trying to find a testing centre for the PCR or antigen test for entering France. Ideally, somewhere local or en route to Plymouth would be ideal. Has any member recent experience to share?

Goodbodyclinic.com are doing PCR and antigen test at Exeter and Plymouth Monday to Friday between 9am and 1pm. Booking must be made online.

1 hour ago, french alvin said:

Why not ask Google? It will tell you all about North Devon Travel Clinic in Barnstaple as well. 

3 hours ago, pastiche said:

Goodbodyclinic.com are doing PCR and antigen test at Exeter and Plymouth Monday to Friday between 9am and 1pm. Booking must be made online.

Goodbodyclinc in Plymouth price list

Standard PCR test to travel  (results in 3 days) £155. Express PCR test to travel (results by midday next day) £210. Emergency PCR test to travel (results by 3am next day) £299. In-Clinic Test to Release on Day 5 (Next day result)  £155.  UK-Wide Postal Options - Day 2 Testing Kit £105. Day 2 & Day 8 Testing Kit £215.

The pre return test in France for return to the UK appears, from quotes on the forums, seems to be much cheaper and easier to get.

A test booking for Plymouth – Roscoff  return on Pont Aven, Two of us with car with an outside 2/4 berth cabin each way (with TC discount). Out  June 11 back June 20 came up as £248.

BUT we then need to factor in the cost of testing. Assuming France will still be Amber, with both of us fully vaccinated, and as I understand the rules, which may be wrong, we would need testing as: -A PCR? test to enter France. A PCR? test to re-enter the UK followed by 2 and 8 day antigen? tests. If my understanding is correct, these could end up costing well over £1000, without the cost of the additional 76 mile round trip to get the pre travel test.

The quarantine would not be a problem for us but I think however it would be wiser for us to wait a few more weeks before cutting the grass at Chez Breton!!!  Let alone the desperate, urgent essential shopping at WBS. 🍷

• Sad 1

If you are fully vaccinated France accept antigen test up to 48 hours before.

And infection numbers have crossed paths with France still reducing and UK rising. Roller coaster.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, colin said:

And infection numbers have crossed paths with France still reducing and UK rising. Roller coaster.

I would imagine that France will classify the UK as red within a week or so given that the Delta variant is over 90% of new cases and the UK cases are rising so fast, I am not that hopeful for my planned trip to Spain/ France.

20 minutes ago, colin said:

UK test prices are coming down. Boots the Chemists are more competitive than the prices previously quoted.

And there is news today that France will soon be offering a free test to let you out of France and get back on a ferry to come home. 

At least there’s no hotel quarantine when you get back. Our son is locked on a 25 th storey  room in Hong Kong right now having been over here to see us. Here is his view for 12 more days.

63ED79E9-070C-4D9B-A50F-CD60EB200148.jpeg

Edited by wortley
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Paully said:

These prices are bordering on malfeasance. Its something Trading standards should be looking at.

Why, there is a free market and plenty of competition, I can get fit to fly PCR/ Antigen at £80/£50 & a double test through the post at £96 (or £129 in person).

Just now, David Williams said:

Why, there is a free market and plenty of competition, I can get fit to fly PCR/ Antigen at £80/£50 & a double test through the post at £96 (or £129 in person).

I`m sure you can, I was responding specifically to the post made by Colin Schandler.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I would imagine that France will classify the UK as red within a week or so given that the Delta variant is over 90% of new cases and the UK cases are rising so fast, I am not that hopeful for my planned trip to Spain/ France.

French policy seems to have green countries with full vaccination, no test needed, amber fully vaccinated, 72 hour PCR or 48 hour antigen. I think putting UK in amber was in anticipation of the current scenario, so, with luck, we could see UK remain amber till the curve comes down again.

1 minute ago, colinschandler said:

Goodbodyclinc in Plymouth price list

Standard PCR test to travel  (results in 3 days) £155. Express PCR test to travel (results by midday next day) £210. Emergency PCR test to travel (results by 3am next day) £299. In-Clinic Test to Release on Day 5 (Next day result)  £155.  UK-Wide Postal Options - Day 2 Testing Kit £105. Day 2 & Day 8 Testing Kit £215.

The pre return test in France for return to the UK appears, from quotes on the forums, seems to be much cheaper and easier to get.

A test booking for Plymouth – Roscoff  return on Pont Aven, Two of us with car with an outside 2/4 berth cabin each way (with TC discount). Out  June 11 back June 20 came up as £248.

BUT we then need to factor in the cost of testing. Assuming France will still be Amber, with both of us fully vaccinated, and as I understand the rules, which may be wrong, we would need testing as: -A PCR? test to enter France. A PCR? test to re-enter the UK followed by 2 and 8 day antigen? tests. If my understanding is correct, these could end up costing well over £1000, without the cost of the additional 76 mile round trip to get the pre travel test.

The quarantine would not be a problem for us but I think however it would be wiser for us to wait a few more weeks before cutting the grass at Chez Breton!!!  Let alone the desperate, urgent essential shopping at WBS. 🍷

I think I'll start getting the missus to do PCR tests during her private clinics, they're a licence to print money. Processing costs are around £20.50 each, that's how much the labs charge.

200 PCR core systems cost £122 from the likes of Promega, 61p each. The swab & tube packages suitable for Covid work out at 84p each from Alpha Laboratories.

£21.95 for the whole procedure.

Talk about profiting from disaster, Spivs were arrested for less during WWII.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, colin said:

French policy seems to have green countries with full vaccination, no test needed, amber fully vaccinated, 72 hour PCR or 48 hour antigen. I think putting UK in amber was in anticipation of the current scenario, so, with luck, we could see UK remain amber till the curve comes down again.

The French rules for Red are:-

Countries with particularly active circulation of the COVID-19 epidemic or the spread of certain SARS-CoV-2 variants, posing a higher risk of increased transmissibility or immune escape are classified in the red list by order of the Minister of Health, including: Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Nepal, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Turkey and Uruguay.

I would have thought that the fact that over 90% of cases are the Delta variant is not good news !

36 minutes ago, colin said:

France still reducing and UK rising. Roller coaster.

Well that's nonsense. There's over 13,500 in hospital and over 2,300 in ITU. French figures yesterday were equal to the U.K's at the end of February.

It's taken a month for England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales to see a further 18 ITU cases. France had a further 26 yesterday, 12 in Paris alone.

We've had Delta over here since April, officially the 21st, (VOC-21APR) when we had 276 patients in ITU across the four nations, today a full 7 weeks later, we have 154.

On the same day in April we had 1,892 Covid patients in hospital again across the four nations, today we have 1,024.

Seven weeks.

In an equal 7 week period the Kent Variant which is 40% less contagious put a further 25,000 in hospital including a further 3,000 in ITU.

There are only two regions of France which are green, New Aquitaine & Occitania, everywhere else is amber apart from Ile de France which is red.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Paully said:

I`m sure you can, I was responding specifically to the post made by Colin Schandler.

I realise that it is now possible to shop around for the various tests, although I still find what type of test, how many are needed and when, a moving minefield. 

The point of my post was to expose the exorbitant costs which I discovered when googling the provider quoted in "pastiche"'s post. Also to compare the cost of the BF fare for 2 passengers compared with the cost of testing which could then be 4 times as much. Even if it was between the same and twice as much, it could still deter many from travelling. Hopefully it will be a lot clearer on 21st June -or will it?

• Like 2

Not sure if this is the right thread (mods please move it if it isnt) if anyone is confused re BF booking procedures, insofar as they relate to moving the flexible bookings either forward or backward. This afternoon I spoke to BF reservations who confirmed that due to the present situation you can move a booking forward to avoid the final payment. If the Covid regime should then change, you may move your booking backwards again, subject to there being availability. 

Every little helps I suppose

• Like 1

4,475 new cases were reported here in the last 24 hours. That means we have now for the first time dropped below the 5,000 target set last October. The local ICU is operating normally according to the professor in charge (he knows that if he lies to me he gets extra grammar exercises for homework!🥴) which is all good news. There are still people I know getting infected and worrying numbers refusing to get vaccinated, however. 

Ed

2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Also to compare the cost of the BF fare for 2 passengers compared with the cost of testing which could then be 4 times as much.

Totally agree, it is not sensible to go abroad at the moment unless it is important and are prepared to pay the price. Hopefully by mid August it may be better, however there are no guarantees.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

Always better to provide context with a quote, i find

I would if Ouest France wasn't down .... They quote the 7 day average new cases where UK numbers now exceed France. The rate per 100,000 was just over 60 for France and just under 60 for UK. Today nearly 150 in NW England. But, hey, that is probably nonsense too.

I really dislike getting into battles around figures and statistics because one can often find some to back one's opinion. Here is the Ouest France link VIDÉO. Covid-19 : la France repasse derrière le Royaume-Uni sur les contaminations (ouest-france.fr)

France now 43 départements green. 13,090 Covid cases in hospital of whom 2,245 in ICU. 4475 daily cases, making running weekly total 5127. UK official numbers 7540 daily for 5984 weekly.

I have no axe to grind, not trumpeting anyone's successes or failures. It was inevitable that things would, and will level out between UK and France as vaccination progresses. The thing that can throw the best plans into turmoil are variants which vaccines are less effective with.

The UK rise seems to be mainly amongst people in their 20s, not yet vaccinated and unsurprisingly frustrated with restrictions, specially as weather improves. Same can happen in France if a variant which is more contagious takes serious root. Thus far the Delta variant cases seem to be relatively well controlled.

• Like 1

We have now changed our plans as I am working on the assumption that the UK will be banned again.

We are now sailing to Santander on the 16th June and will spend 14 days in Spain before entering France, we won't need a test for Spain and will just need the vaccination certificate for France whatever happens to the French rules for UK crossings.