COVID test for entering France

On 10/06/2021 at 10:15, french alvin said:

Apologies if this topic has been covered already. I live in North Devon and am trying to find a testing centre for the PCR or antigen test for entering France. Ideally, somewhere local or en route to Plymouth would be ideal. Has any member recent experience to share?

Going back on topic, I’ve been travelling back and forth between Cherbourg and Portsmouth all winter, but to say it’s been a minefield (and costly) is an understatement. I’ve used Boots for all my tests ex U.K., the PCR test started life at £120, it’s now down to £99 and apart from the very first one which was late and they immediately refunded the money, results have been back in around 24 hours. The acceptance now of an test Antigen is good, I had one 10 days ago again at Boots costing £59.99 with the result emailed in under 30 minutes so you can do it on your way to the ferry. 

The problems I’ve had have been in the other direction and I won’t go into too much detail as I’ve contacted my MP for clarification and don’t wish to get political. The day 2/day 8 test cost a whopping £210 back in April, on my last return I used a company called Eurofins Scientific Services who were on the Gov approved list and charging £99 which seemed more like it. I also purchased the 5 day test-to-release package at £45 in the hope of having at least a few days let out during my 10 day break. It took them 5 days to process the day 2 test, the day 5 sample was received on the 1st June and as of this morning am still awaiting a result. Absolutely ridiculous, not fit for purpose, they don’t answer any calls or emails, a letter to the Company Secretary suggesting a refund is the next step. 

And to put it all into context I’m vaccinated twice, get tested each way before travel (free in France), have a stash of home kits I use regularly to be a responsible citizen...aagghhhhh!

IMHO it’s better/wiser to use a trusted company like Boots, even if they’re not the cheapest, to at least get the service you’ve paid for.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We were booked for France in June but cancelled and rebooked for July ,which things are looking that is going to be out of the window.down to my last hope travel to Spain 10/11 October from Portsmouth to bilbao ,just hope one out of three bookings comes good.as for the testing do anyone know what is going on ?in which I read everything is very fluid and rules could change in a matter of a day or two.dont know what other people think but very confusing how to do the right thing.good luck everyone and stay safe

25 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ve used Boots for all my tests ex U.K., the PCR test started life at £120, it’s now down to £99 and apart from the very first one which was late and they immediately refunded the money, results have been back in around 24 hours. The acceptance now of an test Antigen is good, I had one 10 days ago again at Boots costing £59.99 with the result emailed in under 30 minutes so you can do it on your way to the ferry. 

At last some solid information. Thanks for that. I assume that Boots refunded the cost of the test and not the cost of a cancelled sailing????

Steady on Bob, that would be asking too much!

To be fair BF were very understanding and waived the amendment fee the next day, didn’t charge the extra for the following am sailing and honoured my free CV cabin as well. When good customer service works it’s one of life’s pleasures - it doesn’t always though.....

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

We were booked for France in June but cancelled and rebooked for July ,which things are looking that is going to be out of the window.down to my last hope travel to Spain 10/11 October from Portsmouth to bilbao ,just hope one out of three bookings comes good.as for the testing do anyone know what is going on ?in which I read everything is very fluid and rules could change in a matter of a day or two.dont know what other people think but very confusing how to do the right thing.good luck everyone and stay safe

“Confusing how to do the right thing” You’ve never spoken truer words Nodwad, hopefully by October the world will be a different place ....🤞

I don’t have much faith in politicians of any persuasion, let alone ex prime ministers but this clip made an awful lot of sense to me...

Chris

• Like 5

13 hours ago, colin said:

I would if Ouest France wasn't down .... They quote the 7 day average new cases where UK numbers now exceed France. The rate per 100,000 was just over 60 for France and just under 60 for UK. Today nearly 150 in NW England. But, hey, that is probably nonsense too.

Sorry, I should have quoted the poster who quoted your post (not your post), though the crucial bit of your post was omitted (if that makes sense!)

Edited by VikingVoyager
  • Haha 1

Latest update regarding entry requirements here and the gov. website here. Nothing else to be said.

It would be nice if BF could link us all to the latest info and keep us posted. It's changing all the time and there's no certainty, but it should surely be possible to have some indication as to what the requirements might be (subject to change) for all of our planned trips in the next few months. BF will be resuming some of the cancelled routes at the end of June (subject to change).

1 hour ago, Mitchell32 said:

Latest update regarding entry requirements here and the gov. website here. Nothing else to be said.

It would be nice if BF could link us all to the latest info and keep us posted. It's changing all the time and there's no certainty, but it should surely be possible to have some indication as to what the requirements might be (subject to change) for all of our planned trips in the next few months. BF will be resuming some of the cancelled routes at the end of June (subject to change).

I think that the BF links re entry requirements are ok.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/faqs

I think with today’s numbers - the uk are likely to red listed by others soon.

Sorry to say, but this year can be written off again. I hope I’m wrong…

Edited by PGTV
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, colin said:

I give up with you.

Fair enough but have a look at dashboard.covid19.data.gouv.fr rather than a media outlet.

Let's just take the areas of France BF sail to for yesterday.

Brittany,

New hospitalisations, 8. A total of 425. New ITU patients, 0. A remaining total of 45.

Normandy,

New hospitalisations, 19. A total of 866. New ITU patients, 0. A remaining total of 110.

Combined that's new admissions 27, a total of 1291. ITU patients 155. that's for a population of 6.7 million.

Across the 4 U.K. nations.

New hospitalisations 7. A total of 1058. New ITU patients 0. A remaining total of 158. (yesterday it was 159). That's for a population of 68 million and a population density 2.7 times greater.

In other words there's more people in hospital and more people being admitted to hospital in Brittany & Normandy combined for a 10th of the population than the whole of the U.K. with a so called rampaging Delta variant.

You can't argue with with facts, figures and hard data.

Personally I wouldn't be even contemplating crossing the channel.

20 hours ago, colin said:

Today nearly 150 in NW England. But, hey, that is probably nonsense too.

It doesn't matter how many cases there are as long as they're not getting admitted to hospital (and then to ITU).

You can't just use a countries case rate per 100,000 for one example and a localised area for another. U.K. case per 100,000 is currently 55.2.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.  Although the infection rate seems to be going up here as Jonno says it's not reflected in Hospital figures, is that because of the Vaccine and the fact that the younger generation are the ones getting infected.  In the video posted earlier of Theresa May she made the point we have to live with Covid at a certain level and rely on the Vaccine.

• Like 1

I think that anyone who in a calm fashion reviews any figures I have given will find balance. I am not so stupid as to not check a range of sources, official and those analysing the official figures. Sad that insults still come my way. I don't reciprocate and won't start any time soon ....

What is it with this need to try to make me look stupid?

Which figures that I have given are incorrect?

Enough. I will withdraw from this thread now. Enjoy yourselves. Stay safe and keep smiling.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, David Williams said:

I think that the BF links re entry requirements are ok.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/faqs

The BF info is usually out of date, and involves clicking through numerous links, and also numerous bits of unhelpful non information, such as "you should check the requirements for the country you're visiting", the latter being exactly what you were trying to do by visiting the BF site in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I find that the BF stuff is quite good these days and the information updated regularly - however they don't tell you the date which page got updated,  for example on the page that I linked to it says under Essential Information to enter France:- 

With effect from 9 June 2021, entry requirements for travellers from the UK to France have changed, depending on your vaccination status.  

Before arrival in France all passengers will need:

• evidence of a negative non-NHS PCR test carried out less than 72 hours before departure, or a non-NHS antigen test, carried out less than 48 hours before departure. Please note that there are no testing facilities in any of our ports 

Unvaccinated passengers will also need:

• a Sworn Statement form when you travel to certify you do not have COVID-19 or its symptoms and have not been in contact with any confirmed cases in the previous 14 days before travel
  • to complete a compelling reason document to enter France. You will also need a compelling reason document to leave France.
  • to self-isolate for seven days upon arrival in France and a second PCR test will need to be completed at the end of this seven-day period
  • You may also be given a random antigen test in your port of arrival in France

Fully vaccinated passengers will need to prove that the full course of the vaccine has been administered as follows:

• 2 weeks after the 2nd injection for two-dose vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca)
  • 4 weeks after the injection for single-dose vaccines (Johnson & Johnson)
  • 2 weeks after the vaccine for people who have previously had COVID-19 (only 1 injection needed)

You will need to prove your vaccination status using the NHS app, or you can visit the NHS website and register to access your status online. You will then be able to download and print your Pdf document. You can find more information about this here.

Please note that there is still a curfew in France from 23:00 – 06:00 and you will need an Exemption certificate to travel within this time. Further restrictions may be ordered by local authorities to respond to specific conditions in the area.

For the latest government advice visit France Diplomacy - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France.

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Solo said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Take your pick

France 3 TV says,  https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bretagne/covid-19-en-bretagne-le-taux-d-incidence-chute-la-vaccination-s-emballe-pour-ce-mois-de-juin-2131501.html#xtor=EPR-521-[france3regions]-20210612-[info-bouton3]&pid=726375-1571699989-5c666715

Covid-19 in Brittany. Incidence rate falls, vaccination takes off in June
This Friday 11 June, the Covid-19 incidence rate fell sharply in Brittany. In one week, the incidence rate dropped 22.1 points to its lowest level since March 2021. At the same time, vaccination has been accelerating since June. 

Our rolling 7-day average has now dropped below 5,000 (the target figure) for the first time and Sunday's numbers were in 3 figures. It will be interesting to see how low they get in the coming two weeks before the curfew (11pm) is fully lifted. 

Ed

• Like 1

As of tomorrow it will no longer be compulsory to wear masks outdoors in France. There are a few places where it will still be enforced, primarily in situations where people are links to congregate or have body contact with others. Here's a list.

https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/infographie-marches-stades-transports-en-commun-ces-lieux-ou-le-port-du-masque-reste-obligatoire_AN-202106160344.html

Ed

3 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

UK

Ok. I'm not sure in that case. Sorry. I was told last week that the French system could not accept multiple QR codes from different patients as it's linked to the contact tracing app and therefore personal to each user. That might change however if they put in place an alternative system with Ameli for those who don't want Tous Anti Covid.

Ed

1 hour ago, BobCrox said:

Does anyone know whether I can put 2 vaccine passports on one mobile phone and what the procedure is?

As usual with IT there are many options. Assuming that you are able to login to two accounts, either on a smart phone or PC, the certificate can be extracted as a pdf file and either saved on a device or emailed. The simplest thing is to print it, that is what we have done. Note that the code on the certificate is only valid for a month after saving it. 

I think that viewing it live is a bit risky !

Edited by David Williams

We are below 3,000 new cases here today and the TV is reporting that bars in Paris are now offering a free beer to those able to show they have received a first dose of the vaccine in a bid to encourage take-up.

Ed