COVID test for entering France

19 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

We are below 3,000 new cases here today and the TV is reporting that bars in Paris are now offering a free beer to those able to show they have received a first dose of the vaccine in a bid to encourage take-up.

Ed

I'll be there as soon as I can get a BF booking! I'll cross oceans for a free beer!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

I'll be there as soon as I can get a BF booking! I'll cross oceans for a free beer!

I think they are targeting the, ahem, younger generation but it's worth a try! ūüėā

Ed

As many now have had both vaccine jab's why France, is on the UK's Yellow list and which ever way you go, we still need to self self isolate and have and pay for test.

21 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

We are below 3,000 new cases here today and the TV is reporting that bars in Paris are now offering a free beer to those able to show they have received a first dose of the vaccine in a bid to encourage take-up.

Ed

And in Holland they are offering pickled herringūüėÄ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/06/2021 at 15:55, BobCrox said:

Does anyone know whether I can put 2 vaccine passports on one mobile phone and what the procedure is?

Well the answer is no. If I ask my doctor I can put dependents like children on the NHS app but not to access the vaccine status. Today I used my ipad to get my wife on the system but there is a warning that my ipad's OS will soon be not suitable for the upgraded NHS app. (Perhaps tigger has shares in Apple).

6 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Well the answer is no. If I ask my doctor I can put dependents like children on the NHS app but not to access the vaccine status. Today I used my ipad to get my wife on the system but there is a warning that my ipad's OS will soon be not suitable for the upgraded NHS app. (Perhaps tigger has shares in Apple).

As the app asks you to login with your email address, possibly if you login with a different email address and then enter your partners name. personal details and NHS number etc, I would imagine that you would have access to both Certificates etc on any smart phone tablet etc., worth a try. We both have smart phones albeit mine's Android and Mrs C's is apple, we have our own email addresses but I can login on her phone using my email address. I will try if I can access my NHS details on her phone and let you know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

I will try if I can access my NHS details on her phone and let you know.

I think you can do that but it is getting 2 accounts on one device which stumped me.

21 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

As the app asks you to login with your email address, possibly if you login with a different email address and then enter your partners name. personal details and NHS number etc, I would imagine that you would have access to both Certificates etc on any smart phone tablet etc., worth a try. We both have smart phones albeit mine's Android and Mrs C's is apple, we have our own email addresses but I can login on her phone using my email address. I will try if I can access my NHS details on her phone and let you know.

That works for us. The problem we could not get passed was using the same email when registering. We had to create a new email account. We c an now login on Ipad phones and lap top

• Like 1

The BBC is reporting that Italy will impose a 5-day quarantine on visitors traveling from the UK from Monday. 

My children have not seen their grandfather for 18 months now and were hoping to do so in September. This open/closed cycle needs to either stop or be replaced with something more workable. 

I suggest a financial incentive. Each adult traveller transfers ‚ā¨500 into a governmen-managed account before leaving(accompanied children are free) and provides a vaccine certificate and a negative test at check-in. They are then retested free of charge on days 2 and 5 but are allowed to do whatever they like. If any of those tests during the stay come back positive then the money (paid by everyone in the travelling group) is forfeited and used to finance secure accommodation until they are all negative again and safe to travel home. I reckon you would be more careful if that was the case.¬†

Ed

19 hours ago, IanN said:

That works for us. The problem we could not get passed was using the same email when registering. We had to create a new email account. We c an now login on Ipad phones and lap top

Yes you need to set up your acess to the ap using a different email addres for each adult family member. You can than access the ap on any suitable device and download a PDF of each persons certificate and save them all on one device

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The BBC is reporting that Italy will impose a 5-day quarantine on visitors traveling from the UK from Monday. 

My children have not seen their grandfather for 18 months now and were hoping to do so in September. 

Go for it . If it's a family visit and if the  5 day quarantine in Italy is in a family home like the 10 day quarantine in England - then it's no great hardship. And if the children are under 11 then testing and isolation in UK is not even required.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wortley said:

Go for it . If it's a family visit and if the  5 day quarantine in Italy is in a family home like the 10 day quarantine in England - then it's no great hardship. And if the children are under 11 then testing and isolation in UK is not even required.  

Sorry, I wasn't meaning Italy in my circumstances but more the general restrictions which are likely to be replicated across Europe. For me it's France, obviously, but there needs to be some workable strategy to allow families to meet up.

Ed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

but more the general restrictions which are likely to be replicated across Europe

I don’t think that there will be general restrictions, it is every Country for itself taking into account Health and economic interests. I am in Spain now and the only test needed was the temperature test done whilst waiting to leave the ferry. I await what I find on the French border in a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

I don’t think that there will be general restrictions, it is every Country for itself taking into account Health and economic interests. I am in Spain now and the only test needed was the temperature test done whilst waiting to leave the ferry. I await what I find on the French border in a couple of weeks.

They didn't even bother with the temp test when we left the boat

8 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Yes you need to set up your acess to the ap using a different email addres for each adult family member. You can than access the ap on any suitable device and download a PDF of each persons certificate and save them all on one device

Continuing to dabble.

I was able to access the ap via the browser on my Desktop PC running on Windows 10, download the PDF certificate and saved it to¬†my "Desktop", so will now be¬†able to print off a¬†copy at any time, Now going to copy it onto the¬†128Gb micro USB drive which contains¬†a copy of all my "User" files and always goes with me and my 12 inch laptop when I¬†am on my travels. Just in case my phone!!ūüė¨. But the cerftificate will need¬†to be updated¬†monthly.

i realise that in many cases, I may be trying to teach grandma to suck eggs, but my labours may be of help to some of our members

Edited by colinschandler
  • Thanks 1

You are obviously very capable as well as patient, Colin, but I am afraid I have neither of those admirable qualities. I will just phone 119 and ask them to post me a letter proving my vaccination status. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wortley said:

You are obviously very capable as well as patient, Colin, but I am afraid I have neither of those admirable qualities. I will just phone 119 and ask them to post me a letter proving my vaccination status. 

I believe that the posted letters are time limited as well. I did phone 119 on the first day and the message says only apply within 4 weeks of travel. 

My first letter from the app said Date of Birth followed by Expiry Date. Soon after this was amended to Code expiry date !

• Haha 1

On 17/06/2021 at 19:12, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Ed, nearly 3200 on the 18th but overall cases aren't the main issue anymore which is why France are lessening the restrictions.

Paris & Normandy are still the busiest as of the 19th with a further 14 inpatients in the latter and 18 in the former. 700 total inpatients in Normandy, 1489 in Hautes de France and 2508 in Iles de France.

The issue isn't new cases it's hospitalisations.

If we had numbers like they are in France we'd have Vallance et al on the TV telling us the world is ending, talk about a bunch of rabbits in headlights. Our lot haven't got a single vertebrae between them. I mean there's twice as many in hospital in Paris as there are across the whole of British Isles not just the U.K... and we've got nigh on 60% double dosed.

The vaccines aren't designed to lower cases rates per se, they're designed to lower hospitalisations and serious illness in those who become infected with COVID which is exactly what they're doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, jonno said:

Ed, nearly 3200 on the 18th but overall cases aren't the main issue anymore which is why France are lessening the restrictions.

Paris & Normandy are still the busiest as of the 19th with a further 14 inpatients in the latter and 18 in the former. 700 total inpatients in Normandy, 1489 in Hautes de France and 2508 in Iles de France.

The issue isn't new cases it's hospitalisations.

If we had numbers like they are in France we'd have Vallance et al on the TV telling us the world is ending, talk about a bunch of rabbits in headlights. Our lot haven't got a single vertebrae between them. I mean there's twice as many in hospital in Paris as there are across the whole of British Isles not just the U.K... and we've got nigh on 60% double dosed.

The vaccines aren't designed to lower cases rates per se, they're designed to lower hospitalisations and serious illness in those who become infected with COVID which is exactly what they're doing.

Agreed. The government set itself targets, independent of the vaccination campaign, and when those were met they would reveal the next steps in the reopening process. Those targets were 5,000 new cases per day and 3,000 ICU beds occupied by Covid patients. We are now well below both. 

Ed

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@colinschandler & @VikingVoyager I don't really see what's confusing. The published figures tell a totally different story to what the media and HMG are peddling.

Hospitalisations doubling etc is a load of nonsense. Today we have 1316 in hospital across the 4 nations - 925 of those being treated by NHS England. We've never had a low figure such as 658 - which would indicate that they have indeed doubled, risk or even hint at a risk of doubling.

Collectively we had 2800 in hospital when I went to France last July 4th. September 3rd 2020 was lowest number of people in hospital with Covid since the pandemic began - collectively 803... It's not double that is it?

The lowest number for 2021 is 910 on the 10th of May and let's not forget that Delta was first discovered in the U.K. on the 8th March... It's not double that either is it and hasn't even begun to get near that figure.

HMG came out with that nugget of wisdom on the 14th June and in the last 7 days hospitalisations have increased across the 4 nations by 178, just over 25 a day?

They're happy to tell us how many are going into hospital but they won't tell us how many are being discharged offsetting the overall total.

What have they said, 226 patients admitted and 6 died fair enough. What they're not saying is that 163 were discharged meaning that in reality the healthcare services across the 4 nations have experienced an uptake of 57.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jonno said:

I don't really see what's confusing

For my part, it was several things.

Firstly, the post you were responding to was about case numbers dropping in France and it seemed like you were chastising the poster for mentioning this, as opposed to hospitalizations:

• Agree or not, case numbers and their direction of travel are one of the metrics being used by the UK government to assess which countries we can travel to, so they are directly relevant to this discussion¬†
  • In France, case numbers remain more important than here as vaccination levels are lower. As case numbers drop, so will hospitalizations
  • Case numbers remain an important metric even with vaccinations. The more cases there are milling about, the greater the chance of a new, vaccine resistant variant that one of us could bring home or take abroad with us

Moving on, I was a little confused by the "bunch of rabbits in headlights. Our lot haven't got a single vertebrae between them" spiel. It didn't seem all that relevant.  We've all made poor calls on how this pandemic will develop, including posters on here and most national governments. I don't see dismissing a little bit of caution as helpful.  

Finally, there was "vaccines aren't designed to lower cases rates per se". We've been through that before, so I won't labour the point. I just don't find it a helpful phrasing, since vaccines work by reducing the total number of people infected (yes, we all know their aim is to reduce the numbers who are killed but they work by reducing rates too).  

3 hours ago, jonno said:

The published figures tell a totally different story to what the media and HMG are peddling.

I've not expressed any confusion regarding this.

Until your post (the second one), I wasn't aware of any claims about hospitalizations doubling. I agree that the total number in hospital at any point (plus death rate) is the most important figure here, though I wouldn't dismiss a spike in admissions as scare-mongering, even if those people are in hospital for only a short time. 

A work colleague (in her 30s) has just been admitted to hospital. She had Covid back in January and stayed at home but was very ill. I don't even know yet if this is Covid and I don't know her vaccination status.  I think it's dangerous to behave as if we have this beaten just yet. 

• Thanks 2