Green Cards

I have a car insurance certificate that as far as I can see has all the requirements of a "Green Card" clearly printed on the back (0bverse?).
Get a letter from the insurer that I need to apply for a Green Card before departure stating departure and return dates now.
Now, the EU or is it the Daily Mail have decided we don't need them. 
But have the French Government ratified the EU agreement?

With the cost of testing, continual updating of BF sailings, trying to follow what the hell each UK gov plan is and what daft name they use(are we going from a "road map "to a  "footpath "policy on the 9th  or is it the 23rd?) Who cares anymore? Our local market has a sign saying one customer only OR one "double bubble". This is madness.

We really have to get out of this mess and get back to a better life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The decision to remove the need for us to carry a Green Card came from the European Commission as part of the Northern Ireland discussions.

Basically they did not want residents of Northern Ireland needing a Green Card to go South. They had to remove the requirement for UK residents to implement that.

I believe that it is a decision at the EU level. Given that the rest of the agreement started on 1st July, I would imagine that it has been implemented, however the insurance companies will know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 14:21, IanN said:

I agree with David Spain felt very safe  much better than the UK Unfortunately Pont Aven was by far the worst. Sanitiser had to be looked for not in your face and tables not cleaned between customers. OK most of the transmission is air born but tables were dirty with food stains not cleaned away. I reported this to BF last September on CF but it's not improved    

We agree about the tables. We complained last summer and nothing has changed. Read the BF website and posters and they claim that there is more frequent cleaning throughout the voyage. Personnel were carrying cloths when clearing tables, but didn't once use them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Green Card just explains that you have a minimum level of insurance cover that is required for driving in the EU. For most insurance policies this means that you only have 3rd party whilst abroad. I have started to extend mine to provide the same level as I have in the UK, just in case. It's expensive, but for piece of mind... This insurance top-up comes with a Green Card supplied, but interestingly it is now printed on white paper!

I have insurance policies (AVIVA) for a car and a motorhome.

When I renewed those policies in April 2021, on my request a 12-months-duration free-of-charge ‘Green Card’ (GC) document was provided for the motorhome policy. The GC was emailed to me and I printed it on white paper (though I suppose I could have printed it on green paper if I so chose!)

Conversely, if I should want a GC document for my car I would need to request this stating the discrete period I would be abroad. So if I were to travel to (say) Albania on four separate occasions in the 12 months from April 2021, I would need to make four requests and a GC would be provided covering how long I would be abroad in each instance.

On 02/08/2021 at 08:45, Rapido640 said:

Conversely, if I should want a GC document for my car I would need to request this stating the discrete period I would be abroad. So if I were to travel to (say) Albania on four separate occasions in the 12 months from April 2021, I would need to make four requests and a GC would be provided covering how long I would be abroad in each instance.

Well, I decided to play ball and apply for my green cards (one for each trip). I ask for the exact date of between my crossings. "Hang on" say I, what if BF cancel my crossing due say for weather. Reply  "you will have to apply for another GC!" What say I. You will post a new GC to my home address, in the UK allowing  21 days before travel. Doesn't work. 
What you can do says nice lady, just apply for longer GC in the first place BUT we will need to check that your trips do not exceed your paid for days of coverage in the policy. We check that you dont exceed the 30,60, 90 days whatever is in your policy! I did explain that I'm quite grown up now and do understand what the rules are.

So what ever the requirements are to have a GC is now used by insurance companies to check on that one keeps to the paid for foreign cover limits. You over state the days away to cover yourself and it eats into the paid for block of insurance company cover. The green card is now used by insurance companies for their purpose not just for meeting any legal requirement that may or may not exist.

Also, I  never give my dates away from home to anyone except my keyholder and of course to buy the ticket. Now my insurance company knows  all. This is as bad as the old days when people put their address on their luggage going on their hols only to see that loaders at airports selling the details down the pub that Mr and Mrs X are away abroad.

Edited by straightfeed

5 hours ago, Yorky said:

I have car insurance with Tesco and LV.  Both just issue green card for the year.

Thanks Yorky. 
Do you have a fixed number of days that you are covered for foreign travel or is it unlimited?

My renewal last March went through the roof with an increase of 30% so I was attracted to the Post Office deal. Then when I was getting over being smug at how clever I had been they sent me a thank you voucher of £30. Was I lucky? Seems not!

Stu

Edited by straightfeed

I understand that the actual green card is no longer required in Europe (from 2nd August), however one still needs to check that you are fully insured.

Note that GB stickers will not be valid from 28th September, we need a UK sticker instead. There seems to be a reasonable selection of the stickers on ebay, however magnetic ones don't seem to exist yet. I may have to stick a new sticker on my existing magnetic one !

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Note that GB stickers will not be valid from 28th September, we need a UK sticker instead.

I can remember when you got a free GB sticker with your BF ticket! Happy days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I understand that the actual green card is no longer required in Europe (from 2nd August), however one still needs to check that you are fully insured.

Note that GB stickers will not be valid from 28th September, we need a UK sticker instead. There seems to be a reasonable selection of the stickers on ebay, however magnetic ones don't seem to exist yet. I may have to stick a new sticker on my existing magnetic one !

I didn't know this, having just bought a new magnetic GB plate, despite still proudly displaying my Europlates. I've just looked on gov.uk and they're still saying you need a GB plate. Could it be Mr Schapps doesn't know his arm joint from his posterior? Good job we sail back on the 27th!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

I didn't know this, having just bought a new magnetic GB plate, despite still proudly displaying my Europlates. I've just looked on gov.uk and they're still saying you need a GB plate. Could it be Mr Schapps doesn't know his arm joint from his posterior? Good job we sail back on the 27th!

I didn't know this either. As I have seen cars in France with Scottish, Welsh and Irish stickers can we have an English one?

It will be Spanish law.

The Spanish Gov site said GB sticker when I looked back in June. Number plates with the GB sticker on them are no longer available or legal in the UK. Another mess.

We got a transfer version that fits to the inside of the rear window so it will come off with no damage 

1 hour ago, KenTownley said:

I can remember when you got a free GB sticker with your BF ticket! Happy days.

And you couldn't get them off without damaging the paint work🙄

Apparently it's to show solidarity with Northern Ireland as, of course, that fine country is part of the UK, but not Great Britain. From what I've just read it hasn't been announced with great fanfare by HMG, but was picked up by the AA in a United Nations publication. It was a UK government decision.

I'm sure that even now officers of the law from the Atlantic to the Urals will be briefing their colleagues on what to look out for now that Perfidious Albion has struck again.....

1 minute ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Apparently it's to show solidarity with Northern Ireland as, of course, that fine country is part of the UK, but not Great Britain. From what I've just read it hasn't been announced with great fanfare by HMG, but was picked up by the AA in a United Nations publication. It was a UK government decision.

I'm sure that even now officers of the law from the Atlantic to the Urals will be briefing their colleagues on what to look out for now that Perfidious Albion has struck again.....

Sorry am I misunderstanding this we now have to display a UK sticker on our cars in the UK? Or have we amended the Spanish Law (I hope we have told them😀)

I think British law now states you need UK with your licence plate & Spanish law states we need to display another sticker with GB somewhere on the car.

For this reason I have a UK sticker with a Union Jack flag to replace the EU part of my number patent& I have a magnetic GB sticker to put on the back somewhere.

Having looked at the DGT website my interpretation is that Spanish law requires non EU country vehicles to show a separate national identifier. At the moment this is a GB plate for us in Blighty. The gov.uk website says a GB plate must be displayed in Spain irrespective of what you might have on your number plate, eg GB with a Union flag. This is true at the moment. It is up to the country where the vehicle is registered to decide what its international identifier plate should be. It then notifies this to the United nations. Once the new UK identifier becomes the UK's chosen plate (28th September) the Spanish will require a UK, not a GB plate. Doubtless gov.uk, being always on the ball, will then update their info.....  Be much easier if we could have kept our nice simple Europlates. There's nothing like taking back control.

There's been a lot of upset discussion apparently about classic cars which have those nice shiny separate metal GB letters on them. I would have thought that you can keep whatever sticker/emblem you like on your vehicle as long as you display the required one. I had a STP (remember that stuff you used to put in your tank in the mistaken belief it made the car perform better?) sticker on my Riley Elf in the 1970s, as well as a GB plate, and nobody ever asked if I came from St Tropez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2