What's it like now ?

Just now, Paully said:

What I meant was nothing to do with the here and now or calendars. Its the way these Maniacal Demons change their mind using rather opaque data and have left people out on a limb. I`ve given up trusting them and have abandoned all plans to travel. 

Fair enough, I think one needs to be able to be flexible at the moment, there is no certainty with any travel ( including within the UK).

• Like 1

We`ve just not long returned from the Isle of Wight, as our Fuerteventura flights got scrubbed. We used Red Funnel from Southampton and for the first time the wife enjoyed the ferry crossing. Always something to see enroute and relaxed travel with RF. She commented that BF crossings were boring but IoW ones were to be enjoyed. In fairness we both enjoyed it much more than France for a number of reasons. We are having a complete re think and its likely that our Aug/Sept trip will be back there. 

Oh yes I did speak to the Purser on the Red Eagle coming back re Bridge visits. Apparantly Red Funnel encourage them but are presently suspended due to Covid. They do intend to return to such visits when they can. All applications to be made in advance to the HQ.

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Did you stay in accommodation Paully?

We booked late on so we stayed at the Orchards in a Sundance caravan, where we have been before, out at Newbridge and handy for Yarmouth which we adore. We are presently arranging another visit in September when we will have a better choice. Although Southampton is a pain to get in and out of we liked the RF crossings.

The French government are now advising those not already booked to go to Spain and Portugal this summer to plan holidays in alternative countries. Meanwhile the Spanish ambassador to France is encouraging French tourists to come as 'it's perfectly safe as long as you follow the guidelines'.

Ed

We booked late on so we stayed at the Orchards in a Sundance caravan, where we have been before, out at Newbridge and handy for Yarmouth which we adore.

Nice part of the Island. I like Yarmouth too plus we used to moor in Newtown Creek when we had a boat. A summer sunset and wine in the cockpit. It doesn't get much better!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Nice part of the Island. I like Yarmouth too plus we used to moor in Newtown Creek when we had a boat. A summer sunset and wine in the cockpit. It doesn't get much better!

Have to say we had some spectacular sunsets while we were there and yes wine too😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

Good news that from the 19th July, those fully jabbed in the UK plus their children will obey Green rules even if coming from Amber countries on return. Note that this does not apply to those jabbed elsewhere.

UK government announcement but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own rules; Northern Ireland plans to change on the 26th and Scotland and Wales are considering the options.

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

Good news that from the 19th July, those fully jabbed in the UK plus their children will obey Green rules even if coming from Amber countries on return. Note that this does not apply to those jabbed elsewhere.

UK government announcement but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own rules; Northern Ireland plans to change on the 26th and Scotland and Wales are considering the options.

Last time i checked there was not a border between England and Scotland. If thousands of Scots can get to Wembley then Gatwick or Heathrow shouldn't be a problem.

Or has she closed the border

Unfortunately the numbers are slowly creaping back up here in and could well be above the symbolic 5,000 point by Tuesday. There is a presidential address on Monday evening and the expectation is that vaccination will be made compulsory for all those working in the medical and care systems and could even be extended to all those aged 12 and over. The health pass is also likely to become the norm in a far larger number of places with the clear suggestion that you either play your part or accept that you are not welcome.

Masks have also been reimposed outdoors in certain town centres in popular tourist areas including I believe within the old walled area of St Malo and on the ramparts.

Ed

50 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Masks have also been reimposed outdoors in certain town centres in popular tourist areas including I believe within the old walled area of St Malo and on the ramparts.

Masks were mandatory in the centre of Bordeaux and Fougères when I visited them, however only about half were wearing them.  However in the outdoor market of Dives Sur Mer this morning virtually everyone had one on.

5 minutes ago, David Williams said:

However in the outdoor market of Dives Sur Mer this morning virtually everyone had one on.

Outdoor markets are being treated the same as supermarkets. Any outdoor space where people are queuing in close proximity still requires masks to be worn.

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

There is a presidential address on Monday evening

Hope that he doesn’t cancel fireworks on Wednesday!

ps the town did not spend enough on entertainment last year so sent everyone some chocolates for the new year, a pleasant surprise in my post box. 

Edited by David Williams

21 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Hope that he doesn’t cancel fireworks on Wednesday!

You should be fine. There might be weather problems however. And the chocolates were a nice idea.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Outdoor markets are being treated the same as supermarkets. Any outdoor space where people are queuing in close proximity still requires masks to be worn.

Ed

Sadly this doesn't apply to football mathes in the UK.