New ‘Animal Health Certificate’.

Has anyone experienced any issues with the new ‘Animal Health Certificate’ when arriving in Spain.

We are hoping to go out on ‘Galicia’ at the end of August with our two small dogs & just wondered whether it is all straight forward on arrival at Santander?

I'm sure plenty of people have experienced issues with them. They are incredibly complex and specific.

I strongly advise you check the requirements and the certificate thoroughly. Your vet should know what they are doing and complete it correctly, but there's a very good chance that won't be the case 

As far as I know they are all checked by the authorities on arrivals in Spain 

1 hour ago, scarlton said:

That's debatable

100% correct SC….

@nodwad I do love your contributions, rants and occasionally hilarious comments but the AHC is an incredibly complicated document and unless you cross out/fill in the appropriate sections your pooch passage could well be refused. That’s why most accredited vets charge so much because in reality they’re not too keen to do them.

Chris

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

100% correct SC….

@nodwad I do love your contributions, rants and occasionally hilarious comments but the AHC is an incredibly complicated document and unless you cross out/fill in the appropriate sections your pooch passage could well be refused. That’s why most accredited vets charge so much because in reality they’re not too keen to do them.

Chris

That is correct our vet told me exactly the same.a pain in the backside to fill in.hence why it is to give vet plenty of notice so they are under no pressure due to time scale.was advised to let her know around 2 weeks before travel.it should not be completed before 7 days of travel.stay safe

3 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Providing they are facing the camera, not wearing sunglasses, smiling, and thier mouths are closed in their photographs  🐶😎

That’s ok then 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

That’s ok then 😂

Joking apart, if you need advice on moving your doggies back and forth between UK and France, Chris Fine Whine is the expert, having experienced both  failures and successes moving his 2 pooches. PM him, I'm sure he now knows the rules better than HMRC or Les Douanes Francais.

Edited by colinschandler
  • Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 16:28, Lofty said:

Our doggies have European passports, does this still apply? 

Should be ok, provided rabies jabs are up to date. UK vets are not permitted to update rabies jabs in EU passprots, you must get it done by an Eu vets when over there. Our AHC got our dog into France with one small mistake on it. Stories are many of people being turned away by BF because of mistakes on the AHC. Because  covid prevented us getting to France our dog had to be jabbed for rabies in the UK, the Frence vet just transferred the details into his EU passport no problem oh! and no charge.

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2021 at 16:28, Lofty said:

Our doggies have European passports, does this still apply? 

Our dog has a Spanish passport,to be safe on side we are still going to get a animal health certificate for him to travel.i asked the vet and she was not 100% sure if he needed one or not.am sur a few people who have travelled with the new ahc or a European passport can tell us there experiences.stay safe

6 hours ago, nodwad said:

Our dog has a Spanish passport,to be safe on side we are still going to get a animal health certificate for him to travel.i asked the vet and she was not 100% sure if he needed one or not.am sur a few people who have travelled with the new ahc or a European passport can tell us there experiences.stay safe

A Spanish pet passport is still valid for travel to the EU as long as the rabies is still valid. The rabies must have been done by a current EU vet or if done by a British vet, done before 01.01.21.

If you are concerned about your AHC, feel free to take pictures/scans of every page and PM me .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scarlton said:

A Spanish pet passport is still valid for travel to the EU as long as the rabies is still valid. The rabies must have been done by a current EU vet or if done by a British vet, done before 01.01.21.

If you are concerned about your AHC, feel free to take pictures/scans of every page and PM me .

Yes I agree,but they say rabies must of been done in Europe and not in the uk to make European passport valid .yet when you have animal health certificate Filled in by a home office vet is valid.so this confuses me can anyone enlighten me.stay safe

Our dog had his rabies jab updated in the UK april this year. Because of Brexit our Uk vet had to enter the details in his UK issued pet passport. We had to travel to France 4/7/2021 on a AHC. The AHC took 3 visits and £120 to obtain. When we arrived in France our french vet just copied the details of the rabies vaccine into the French issued pet passport stamped and signed it. She also showed us a document that stated this was acceptable provided a couple of conditions were met. The dog had to be known to iCAD the French chip data base and not stay longer than 90 days. Our UK vet had already suggested we would be ok to use a French issued pet passport to get into France

The problem with us pet owners that when we hand over the ahc and passports ,with it all been new there might be a problem with it.so stopping us traveling and to me who used to do pet transport worries me a bit but a bit resurred by scarlton advice and will send him pictures of his passport.stay safe

11 hours ago, nodwad said:

The problem with us pet owners

Nodwad

Are you trying to wind me up and make me break our truce. 😀🙃🙃

Comment made in fun !!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 25/07/2021 at 20:38, nodwad said:

Yes I agree,but they say rabies must of been done in Europe and not in the uk to make European passport valid .yet when you have animal health certificate Filled in by a home office vet is valid.so this confuses me can anyone enlighten me.stay safe

Yes. A British vet can't enter a rabies vaccination in an EU pet passport.

When I say a current EU vet, I mean one practicing in the EU. Not one that was born/trained in the EU but practicing in the UK.

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2021 at 21:18, scarlton said:

Yes. A British vet can't enter a rabies vaccination in an EU pet passport.

When I say a current EU vet, I mean one practicing in the EU. Not one that was born/trained in the EU but practicing in the UK.

We are due to travel next month to Spain.i telephoned the vet to arrange a ahc at a cost of £250.when I went see him he then told me our dog does not need a ahc due to him having a eu passport.i told him his last 2 rabies jabs were done in the uk and also his boosters have been done in the uk and thought this would invalidate his eu passport.in which he said no his passport is still valid.so in other words do we spend £250 on a ahc or take a risk?i have now contacted defra for advise.this -;::)y brexit thing.

A big thank you to David Williams and scarlton.regarding ahc.i sent a e mail to brittany ferries who got back to me.they confirm that if our dog has a Eu passport and if he has had his rabies injection by. A British vet before brexit .he is ok to travel he then sent me a e mail saying if I want to to scan his passport and send it to him he can verify it is ok for travel.his rabies injection was given in the uk by a British vet on the 27/08/2020. And runs out 27/08/2023.so again thank you it has saved me £250.

• Like 1