PCR test near Carhaix

Good evening. As with many other BF regulars I've been unable to visit our cottage near Carhaix, Finistere, since last September. The latest amber + definition for France hasn't been encouraging and the possibility of France becoming part of the red list has made my mind up; no trips for the foreseeable. However, until France becomes 'green' I would like advice on companies to use in Finistere to help with the return to UK PCR test or antigen if that is acceptable. Any thoughts? And any suggestions on tests/companies to book in advance if the most I have to do is self-isolate on return to the UK. 

https://www.eurofins-biologie-medicale.com/fr/nos-laboratoires/carhaix?utm_source=gmb

Near the centre of Carhaix, we have used them 3 times. Book online through the Doctolib link on the website.

Tests are carried out Monday to Saturday during the lunch hour 12-2pm Results came back (email) the same evening or following morning.

Reservation in advance is essential as it seems they have limited availabilty. Pay with credit card at time of test.

Really grateful for your replies and especially the confidence it gives me that tests are available near our cottage. BZH29, what price did you pay? And any recommendations for the double testing providers back in the UK? That question is for anyone who's returned from the EU recently. 

I think it was about 45 euros  in Carhaix but costs change.  For the double tests, which you take yourself, on day 2 and 8 at home we have used a company called Nationwide Pathology.    https://nwp-online.co.uk 

First time it was £185 but by May that had come down to £159. It now seems even less.   They seem efficient and prompt, but I'm sure other BFEs have used cheaper. We will use them on our return next week.

Avoid Corporate Travel Management (CTM), they took my money but never gave me the number for the Passenger Locator Form. They were uncontactable by phone and didn't respond to emails.  I had to get my bank to get my money back and buy from another provider.

I was only away from my garden here for two months but it has reverted to nature, if you have been away since September, good luck !

Unless you want to release on Day 5 what does it matter the cheaper the better. As long as you have a number for the locator form it's all you need. We paid £!60 each from a high street brand for two day 2 and 8 tests. Have so far received one result for day 2. No other results are available on the Web Site. We returned on the 24/06/2021.

Track and trace only want to know if you intend to take them. Pure money making scheme. If you are worried about testing positive the advice from Track and Trace is do not contact your GP or Pharmacy ring a number which will then tell you to isolate for another 10 Days. I guess day 5 is different because you need the result but day 2 and eight you don't 

Edited by IanN
  • Like 1

Those with a house in France can simply isolate there for ten days if they happen to test positive just before they return home. But those who are staying in hotels or gites or on campsites have a real problem to solve if it happens to them . Would a hotel let you stay for ten days if one had COVID-19?  Can a booking at a gite be extended? Is ten days isolation on a campsite a feasible possibility? Or will your travel insurance repatriate you by air ambulance?

Edited by wortley

13 minutes ago, Lofty said:

If your traveling from Portugal by road to France, do you just need your proof of vaccine?

I believe so. You will need a test taken within 24 hours of your crossing if unvaccinated. Check the French government website for confirmation. 

Ed

41 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I believe so. You will need a test taken within 24 hours of your crossing if unvaccinated. Check the French government website for confirmation. 

Ed

We are both EU vaccinated with certificates and QR code

17 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We are both EU vaccinated with certificates and QR code

We don't need to be we have EU antibodies ☺️ . Sorry there's not much to do at the moment!

My wife and I are both working in education and have to be back in early August for A level and GCSE results the same week this year. So quarantine is out of the question. Brittany Ferries cancelled our Plymouth-Roscoff crossings and we opted for a refund. That's gone through so your advice is really useful if I re-book for September or October. I have to say that if there is an enquiry at some stage into the whole Covid pandemic, some testing companies will be criticised for what appears to be racketeering. 

2 hours ago, BFlongtimefan said:

We've used Randox.

You can get a discount code through the BF website.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/travel-extras/covid-19-testing

We have used Randox as well, Day 2 and Day 8 can be as low as £86, however it is important to check the nearest dropbox or DX location. Day 2 was sent the day after ordering and DPD left it with a neighbour as we were still on holiday. Day 8 was ordered separately and was sent 2 days after ordering, however Randox do say that it can take anywhere from 4-6 working days after ordering to arrive.

Today is day 2 for us and we took the test and put it in a dropbox

Reviews are generally really good or really bad, the process itself seems to work ok, however talking to Customer Services about problems etc appears to be an issue. I did get a response within a few hours on a Facetime message, however it was a generic response.

Edited by David Williams

51 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Today is day 2 for us and we took the test and put it in a dropbox

Which I believe is illegal as you have left your isolation address and can now be fined £10,000.  I discussed this with Track and Trace I was warned not to leave the property and I needed to get someone to collect it from my house but not to personally hand it to them (leave it in the porch) so they could post it. I assured them I would then walked to the Post Box that evening and tested my eyesight by posting it through the opening. 

PS

Still waiting for the results from 3 of the 4 tests and this was from Boots  We returned a month ago 

Edited by IanN

12 minutes ago, IanN said:

Which I believe is illegal as you have left your isolation address and can now be fined £10,000.  I discussed this with Track and Trace I was warned not to leave the property and I needed to get someone to collect it from my house but not to personally hand it to them (leave it in the porch) so they could post it. I assured them I would then walked to the Post Box that evening and tested my eyesight by posting it through the opening. 

PS

Still waiting for the results from 3 of the 4 tests and this was from Boots  We returned a month ago 

The current guidance states:

----

Getting or posting your tests

Where your testing provider conducts the day 2 and day 8 tests at a test site you can leave the house for your test. Where your tests are delivered and self-administered, if there is no one in your household or bubble who can post the test for processing, you can leave the premises to post your test.

If you have to leave the premises, you should follow safer travel guidance and avoid public transport if possible.

----

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, IanN said:

The track and trace can just read a script, don't rely on them for information. The guidance says:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

Getting or posting your tests

Where your testing provider conducts the day 2 and day 8 tests at a test site you can leave the house for your test. Where your tests are delivered and self-administered, if there is no one in your household or bubble who can post the test for processing, you can leave the premises to post your test.

If you have to leave the premises, you should follow safer travel guidance and avoid public transport if possible.

• Thanks 1

I did suspect the training of these marshals was poor I was told no way to leave the property

Based om my experience the best method is 

1) Buy the cheapest test to tick the box for the locator form

2) Open Box for day 2 test if it arrives and register on providers webs site. 

3) Remove all labels from Test Box

4) Post in Black Bin Outside back door

5) If Track & Trace ask for your day two results tell them you don't need them till day 8 as you have not elected for early release. and will look then to see if you were positive

6) Repeat Steps 1 to 4 for day 8

7) Day 11 get on with life

Any symptoms then of course do not leave the house till day 13

Edited by IanN
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 19:15, Cabin-boy said:

Most people just need a nasal swab. How long IS your nose? 😂

Ed

Having had a test in France on Thursday I am shocked at how empty my skull is.  

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Aphrodite said:

Having had a test in France on Thursday I am shocked at how empty my skull is.  

When I had an antigen test in February I had the impression that they had given me an extra nostril.

Ed

• Thanks 1