2 more Chinese newbuilds for St Malo and Ouistreham

colin

Interesting news indeed. I'm losing count of all the E Flexers due to enter service, is this now 5 in total? Presumably this is confirmation that Bretagne, Normandie & Cap Finistere's days all are officially numbered, but as you say where will Pont-Aven fit with all this? 

This is courtesy of ferryshippingnews.com and appeared as breaking news in my inbox.

Paris, Tuesday 20 July 2021
During a French press conference, Brittany Ferries announced the agreement with Stena RoRo for the construction of two new hybrid E-Flexers of a new generation.
  • To be used on Channel routes from Saint-Malo (region Brittany) and Ouistreham (region Normandy) to Portsmouth.
  • New generation of E-Flexers: shortened version (194m) because of port restrictions
  • Hybrid: LNG + battery + Shore power
  • Ten-year charter from Stena RoRo with purchase option after four years
  • Supported by shareholders and regions Bretagne (SOMABRET) and Normandy (SOMANOR)
  • To be delivered in 2024 and 2025
  • They will replace the ferries NORMANDIE (1992) and BRETAGNE (1989)
eb088322-ebd2-9fad-6fcf-2d8da9ecafca.jpg

43 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Very logical, a lot easier to run a standard fleet  and highlights the end of the decent restaurants !

I fear you are right. She may be old, but Bretagne is classy, unique and 100% French. I will miss relaxed dining in Les Abers more than anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Really interesting news. I guess is quashes the liklihood of Honfleur appearing for BF. I wonder what will happen to Pont Aven then too.

I know I won't be popular on this forum for saying it, but the future of Barfleur must also be in doubt. She is the same age as Normandie.

We're already looking forward to being on the quayside in 2024 to welcome "Normandie II" home to Ouistreham.

Like all BF vessels, Normandie is in sound mechanical condition; there's no reason why she could not have a modest interior refit after leaving the Ouistreham route and then serve an extra year or two on a once-daily rotation from Le Havre. This would serve a number of useful business objectives:

1. Testing the viability of a revived Le Havre route with a large-capacity ship
  2. An additional income stream from a relatively low-cost asset [by 2024 I think Normandie's acquisition and development cost will be full written down if not already – thus the breakeven cost of the route should be fairly low with little or no initial overhead in terms of crew familiarisation and training / route learning / engineering ]
  3. Additional time for financial recovery before large-scale further commitments for newbuilding
  4. Additional time for new propulsion / fuel initatives – although I'm no engineer I've encountered several discussions regarding development of more efficient purpose-built LNG power plant rather than "gasified" versions developed from existing diesels

Does that make sense?

Ken

37 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I think that the next time we will see Barfleur is when we open a can of beans !

Ed just beat me to it with the same response!! Barfleur has spent a lot longer in a canal than Ever Given!

Edited by colinschandler
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, kenw said:

Like all BF vessels, Normandie is in sound mechanical condition; there's no reason why she could not have a modest interior refit after leaving the Ouistreham route and then serve an extra year or two on a once-daily rotation from Le Havre.

That was the original plan, however who knows now, however they didn’t plan an extra refit as they added the canine zone in a previous one ready for Le Havre

Edited by David Williams

1 hour ago, Tregastel said:

I know I won't be popular on this forum for saying it, but the future of Barfleur must also be in doubt. She is the same age as Normandie.

The presser on the new order also mentions that BF still plan to convert Cotentin to a full RoPax at some point in time in order to replace Barfy. I suppose the difference is that Normandie has been ran into the ground over the past 29 years. Barfleur's life has been somewhat more sedate.

Could Normandie temporarily replace Barfleur whilst they wait for the rebuild of Cotentin? Barfleur would be a reasonable option for Irish ferries dover to calais service. Be a good way to offload a vessel and increase capacity on the Poole service.
I still think Cap Finistere will replace Connemara on the Irish routes and Pont Aven staying put on her current timetable 

19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

This also shows that they still have the support of the 2 regions which is good news.

The regions are two thirds of the BF group and have the loudest voice in the boardroom. The regions are replacing their own ships which they will then sub charter to BAI who will operate them.

Regionally owned SOMANOR - Cotentin, Barfleur, Normandie, MSM. They own these ships, Brittany Ferries is simply a marketing brand name.

Regionally owned SOMABRET - Pont Aven, Bretagne, Armorique. Same set up as above.

The societies are paid charter fees by BAI who in turn are paid to operate them. The societies also cover the cost of maintenance, crew & guest services.

BAI - Cap Finistere, Connemara, Pelican, Galicia. They also own the booking and reservation engine and are the only member of the group to have a 23% stake in Condor.

BAI, well what's left of them anyway, is Brittany Ferries proper, the remnants of the company having been bankrupt...twice.

9 minutes ago, Afellowes said:

Could Normandie temporarily replace Barfleur whilst they wait for the rebuild of Cotentin? Barfleur would be a reasonable option for Irish ferries dover to calais service. Be a good way to offload a vessel and increase capacity on the Poole service.
I still think Cap Finistere will replace Connemara on the Irish routes and Pont Aven staying put on her current timetable 

It's possible. One thing for sure, at 195m the new ships will no longer be an option for Poole.

The obstacle in replacing Connemara with the Cap' is her open loop scrubbers which are banned in Irish waters. The only options are to run her on the more expensive diesel or rip her scrubbers out and replace the whole lot with a closed loop system or LNG/electric as it seems these two new E-Flexers are having.

• Like 1