Armorique St Malo-Portsmouth 27th July 21

St Malo to Portsmouth 27 July - Armorique

First crossing for us this year from St Malo.  Check in was slow due to some people not having the right paperwork.  I heard that BF in the terminal building helpfully printed out a completed Passenger Locator form for someone unable to download it from their phone. The cleaners coming off  the Armorique outnumbered passengers going on and It was crew change day too.

There were just 15 vehicles and a motorcycle including a Polish registered Land Rover and a van from the St Malo Yachts Broker. Someone said there were only 28 passengers on board. Everyone was parked on deck 3 and as for freight I only saw 6 artics and one trailer.

The “Club plus” cabin was a pleasant surprise, with space, a big window, table, chairs, fruit bowl, TV and mini bar.

The self service restaurant was good for a late breakfast and a full choice of dishes for a meal later.

One thing was near normal - Commandant Hervé de Kergariou was driving. With so few passengers we asked if a visit to the bridge was possible but was told at times of Covid it couldn’t happen without an appointment. I think the crew from St Malo Yachts Brokers, M. Mataczynski ? had their request  to see Hervé granted !   

Has Pierre the Bear been furloughed ?  I noticed  Potty the Pirate now stalks deck 7 of  the Armorique.

680076456_PottythePirate.thumb.jpeg.c8c203317163e4314d5f9ae8d66342e2.jpeg

About an hour out from Portsmouth a Pilot boat came alongside at high speed, odd as Kergariou must be one of BF’s most experienced Captains. 

Perhaps he isn’t familiar with Armorique ?       It was pilots, not pirates !

At Portsmouth Border Force said they didn’t need to see our wad of paperwork it as scanning the passport showed them all the forms had been filled out as required.

Fifteen minutes after driving off the ship we were driving out of the port.

It was good to be travelling and we'll be going back on board again in three weeks time. 

We both had our check calls this morning, mine from someone in Derby, the “script” now warns we will receive a house call as well as the telephone calls !

https://youtu.be/W_UjPitoris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excuse my ignorance but what is a PEC ?

Talking of acronyms, any ideas on SPS on the new sign for arrivals at St Malo ?

SPS.JPG.23d3b1abe5093cbaf3c1f48883b22652.JPG

There were 2 Customs Men waiting by the gates after the passports, all cars were stopped but I didn't see anyone searched.

2 hours ago, BZH29 said:

But what is your theory on the Pilots apparently coming onboard ?

Pilots the world over have to stock up on duty free😀

And being a photographer I am familiar with PEC wipes for digital sensors but I doubt if that is it.

Talking of acronyms have you noticed how many medals the ROC have. I never knew the Republic of Congo had so many athletes.

58 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is a PEC ?

Talking of acronyms, any ideas on SPS on the new sign for arrivals at St Malo ?

PEC is a Pilot Exemption Certificate for Deck Officers so the ship doesn't need a Pilot as the Officer has proven though an exam, check rides and experience that they are competent at bringing the ship in and out of that port. Some ports issue them to the person so that Officer can use it on any vessel while some also name the vessel that Officer can take in and out.

Not sure of SPS but if St Malo are using the same system as Calais then the Orange lanes are for vehicles that have to be checked by Customs.  Calais system is actually quite good as the ships have displays onboard showing the vehicles registrations and which lanes they need to follow when they arrive.

• Thanks 1

SPS is sanitary and psytosanitary checks if that's what you're asking. Heath checks for freight.

The PEC lapses after a certain amount of time. So the captain's will need to do several visits with a pilot to renew it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BobCrox said:

Pilots the world over have to stock up on duty free😀

And being a photographer I am familiar with PEC wipes for digital sensors but I doubt if that is it.

Talking of acronyms have you noticed how many medals the ROC have. I never knew the Republic of Congo had so many athletes.

The loophole Russian Olympic Committee team are obviously hoping to win as many Olympic medals as they have on their uniforms they wear back home!! 

Edited by colinschandler

on three occasions when  I have been on the bridge exiting Cherbourg with experienced Captains / First Officers they have explained that pilots have joined us so they ( the pilots ) can either be trained or refresh their knowledge of the various craft that use the harbour. And also, it seems, renew old friendships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1