The old "sailing full" routine.

I guess it's possible that every Poole-Cherbourg & return crossing for September (sailings supposed to recommence on 13th) is actually full all of a sudden, but we all know that "sailing full" often means the website's being updated or the server's crashed or just about anything else other than the sailing being full.

Anybody know what's going on? And why do they let you go through the booking process, choosing your dates etc. before telling you "sailing full"?

Just now, Mitchell32 said:

I guess it's possible that every Poole-Cherbourg & return crossing for September (sailings supposed to recommence on 13th) is actually full all of a sudden, but we all know that "sailing full" often means the website's being updated or the server's crashed or just about anything else other than the sailing being full.

Anybody know what's going on? And why do they let you go through the booking process, choosing your dates etc. before telling you "sailing full"?

I am sure that it means we have just cancelled it. I don’t think that many were expecting the route to reopen this year.

Posted (edited)

It's a shame they can't update their sailing updates page which says 

Poole to Cherbourg / Cherbourg to Poole

Passenger sailings resume from 13 September 2021 until November 2022.

And no mention about it in the CEO's online message dated yesterday either. 

Edited by Mitchell32

There was a slight hint yesterday

<<I’m afraid it means there will be further consolidations to our schedules for this autumn and winter. As soon as plans are confirmed, we will be in touch if you are among those likely to be affected.>>

Which is probably not good news for St Malo later on.

If you put the message into Google Translate to go from BF Breton into English, it translates as:-

Bretagne and Barfleur won't return this year, Pont Aven will go into hibernation once her holiday in Devon is finished & Cap Finistere has a For Sale board on the stern - We will be back at Easter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mitchell32 said:

Barfleur can be booked for October. What a farce!

And the CEO's message depends on which translation you use?? 🤓

On Twitter they confirmed the September cancellation, anything else is just speculation at present !

It's a shame that Betfred don't offer odds.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, David Williams said:

If you put the message into Google Translate to go from BF Breton into English, it translates as:-

Bretagne and Barfleur won't return this year, Pont Aven will go into hibernation once her holiday in Devon is finished & Cap Finistere has a For Sale board on the stern - We will be back at Easter.

I suggest that is probably a very accurate reading of how things will pan out

I understand that we may wish to sail with BF, I for one would like Le Havre, but Caen would do and if it come to the push how about using Dieppe, as it would be good to see Family even for 5 hours apart from online.

Well, unless the rules have changed regarding expensive tests for a day trip or a an overnight return then I won’t be booking up, too much hassle.  I reckon Barf will return in September, plenty of pressure being put on this Government to open up more.

4 hours ago, Khaines said:

Well, unless the rules have changed regarding expensive tests for a day trip or a an overnight return then I won’t be booking up, too much hassle.  I reckon Barf will return in September, plenty of pressure being put on this Government to open up more.

Sorry but I think that you may need to give your crystal ball a polish, it's picture is becoming a liitle clouded wth that which you would hope to happen rather than what most likely will. Sadly I think that Barfleur is already in an early hibernation.

Edited by colinschandler

On 06/08/2021 at 13:24, David Williams said:

I’m booked on the PA to St Malo in February next year, out on 11th, back 14th.

Do you think there is a reasonable chance that those sailings won’t happen?

It is going to depend on the level of bookings they have, we should know in a week or two I guess.

Last year they announced the winter closures on the 19th August, the first thing to look for is whether the Bretagne restarts in mid September or not.

3 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is going to depend on the level of bookings they have, we should know in a week or two I guess.

Last year they announced the winter closures on the 19th August, the first thing to look for is whether the Bretagne restarts in mid September or not.

Or Armorique keeps going over the winter on St Malo and there is no Roscoff option?

we are staying in Dinan in February, so St Malo suits us both for timings and proximity.  If it were pulled, would they just put me on the Caen crossing.

1 minute ago, jamess said:

Or Armorique keeps going over the winter on St Malo and there is no Roscoff option?

we are staying in Dinan in February, so St Malo suits us both for timings and proximity.  If it were pulled, would they just put me on the Caen crossing.

Let's see, I suspect that Amorique will continue in September for a while instead of the Bretagne, however she is needed for winter relief on the other routes.

3 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Let's see, I suspect that Amorique will continue in September for a while instead of the Bretagne, however she is needed for winter relief on the other routes.

Of course, she is the relief vessel this winter, so just dropping her in on St Malo all winter isn’t an option as it stands.

I will keep an eye out over the next few weeks.

Thanks

5 hours ago, jamess said:

Of course, she is the relief vessel this winter, so just dropping her in on St Malo all winter isn’t an option as it stands.

I will keep an eye out over the next few weeks.

Thanks

I may be wrong but last time I checked, Armorique is down to cover Plymouth-Roscoff until the end of October (unlikely to actually happen?) then one week on Portsmouth-Le Havre/Bilbao early November covering Cotentin and then nothing until March. Even the Normandie's refit on Portsmouth-Caen is down to be covered by Barfleur so Armorique is technically free for St Malo this winter?