The old "sailing full" routine.

There seems to be a reasonable amount of people happy to travel with the tests, it is the 10 day isolation that affects the majority of travellers and having Amber plus for three weeks managed to destroy the summer season for France.

I think that half term will be badly affected by families not coming as their kids won't have health passes & won't be able to go in the French attractions / Restaurants etc..

• Like 1

Well, we're off next week Portsmouth - Caen, mainly to see if the cottage is still standing and is visible under the undergrowth. We are up to speed with the Covid Pass thingy. There will be a report in due course ...

Post number 1000

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 07:29, Khaines said:

The wait goes on…🥴

Will Poole - Cherbourg ever exist regularly in future if they are now saying Cotentin could leave the fleet when the flexlettes arrive? If Barfy retires, could it become seasonal? or disappear altogether? (I doubt they would want that to happen)...  Or, be served by purely by Liberation, so essentially killing the route for Freight?

17 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Will Poole - Cherbourg ever exist regularly in future if they are now saying Cotentin could leave the fleet when the flexlettes arrive? If Barfy retires, could it become seasonal? or disappear altogether? (I doubt they would want that to happen)...  Or, be served by purely by Liberation, so essentially killing the route for Freight?

Cherbourg is still strategic for BF (assuming that the rail link is still on), however Poole could end up as freight only I guess.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Cherbourg is still strategic for BF (assuming that the rail link is still on), however Poole could end up as freight only I guess.

Armorique  could be the best best ship for Poole / Cherbourg.This short crossing will I am sure be in BF's plans for the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

Armorique  could be the best best ship for Poole / Cherbourg.This short crossing will I am sure be in BF's plans for the future.

Plymouthians would not love this plan!

26 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

I said that and ducked.😂. Barf will need her zimmer frame soon.  Liberation could well cover the pax side of things, she would not get into the same difficulties in bad weather as she does in the CI.   I could well see our route in Poole being a summer pax service only again.  Unless Armorique takes over in winter that is.  Libby doing autumnal/winter crossings to Cherbourg - should be interesting..😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

There seems to be a reasonable amount of people happy to travel with the tests

There are a lot more who would be much happier without ☺️

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I said that and ducked.😂. Barf will need her zimmer frame soon.  Liberation could well cover the pax side of things, she would not get into the same difficulties in bad weather as she does in the CI.   I could well see our route in Poole being a summer pax service only again.  Unless Armorique takes over in winter that is.  Libby doing autumnal/winter crossings to Cherbourg - should be interesting..😁

Yes but that would only work if she could run it from Poole not Portsmouth as her current runs to Portsmouth and back to Poole as prep for Cherbourg runs are not exactly money well spent plus it would mean a afternoon trip to the CI which wouldn't satisfy the crew or the passengers. 

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

There seems to be a reasonable amount of people happy to travel with the tests, it is the 10 day isolation that affects the majority of travellers and having Amber plus for three weeks managed to destroy the summer season for France.

I'm now back in the Pays de la Loire and seeing UK-registered cars on a daily basis. 

It's obviously difficult to judge but I'd say that over half appear to be adults only (sports cars, small SUVs etc) or with very young children (easy to see from the bikes hanging on the back) which may reflect the difficulties with access for those aged 12 and over.

There are also a number of Irish-registered cars starting to appear which means that there are a lot more fully-vaccinated people now able and willing to travel.

Ed

2 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Armorique could adopt a year-round PA style double-triangle... Poole > Cherbourg > Poole > Cherbourg > Plymouth > Roscoff > Plymouth > Roscoff > Poole! :D

(in order not to neglect a route/port in Winter. 2 returns for each per week, and the weekly relocation sailings to the other port could prove popular!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Armorique could adopt a year-round PA style double-triangle... Poole > Cherbourg > Poole > Cherbourg > Plymouth > Roscoff > Plymouth > Roscoff > Poole! :D

That's not a triangle. It's a figure of eight.

Ed

My sailing on Armorique Portsmouth-St Malo for 19th September has been cancelled with the following comment:

"The Armorique will not be sailing on the Plymouth-Roscoff service as the ship will continue operating the Portsmouth-St.Malo route until 31st October 2021. Whilst I appreciate that any cancellation will cause inconvenience and disappointment, I hope this message brings some clarity to your travel plans. For those still wishing to travel on the Roscoff service, the Pont-Aven is sailing on Tuesdays and Fridays to Roscoff, and Wednesdays and Sundays from Roscoff until 31st October 2021.

When trying to amend the booking to a date in October Portsmouth to St Mao, the system is showing the route operating with Bretagne

Explanation anyone??

31 minutes ago, Huricane said:

I'm thinking of going to France and do some BF routes come March April but with this latest round is it worth booking anything yet? 

We have now had the Autumn cancellations, any winter/ late Autumn ones may come in a month or so (PA ?)

The spring timetable does not start until the last week of March due to a late Easter and this is unlikely to be amended until February time if needed.

Hopefully next year will be fine.

Edited by David Williams

1 hour ago, Huricane said:

I'm thinking of going to France and do some BF routes come March April but with this latest round is it worth booking anything yet? 

Book 7 or 8 months ahead? What on earth for? 

On 14/08/2021 at 12:50, Mitchell32 said:

I know these are difficult times, but is it really not possible for BF to update their so called 'sailing updates' web page

The "Sailing Updates" page has finally been updated!

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

I think that half term will be badly affected by families not coming as their kids won't have health passes & won't be able to go in the French attractions / Restaurants etc..

I really feel for everyone in France in the holiday/hospitality/ entertainment sectors in areas which normally have a lot of UK visitors. Government action (or inaction) across the British Isles has deterred people from travelling either due to UK rules or French rules.

Friends of ours booked to go to the campsite we normally go to in the Vendee and travelled from Edinburgh to London to visit friends on the way. We had decided we couldn't risk having to quarantine on the way home so had booked a campsite in the Lake District. While we were away, amber plus was announced and I got a message from our friends asking if I knew of any accommodation available near Keswick; they weren't going to be able to quarantine coming home so were trying to find an alternative holiday in the UK (the nearest accommodation to Keswick they had found was in Dumfries!).

Our younger teenagers haven't been vaccinated (and I haven't seen any plans to vaccinate anyone under 16 except if they live with an at risk person) so they can't get into France. Scotland and the Isle of Man don't have an app showing vaccine status so those of us from those places can't eat out or visit French tourist attractions.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57862733 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Our younger teenagers haven't been vaccinated (and I haven't seen any plans to vaccinate anyone under 16 except if they live with an at risk person) so they can't get into France. Scotland and the Isle of Man don't have an app showing vaccine status so those of us from those places can't eat out or visit French tourist attractions. 

Jabbed people can get a pass, I wrote this in another thread:-

It is now possible for people from Scotland to get a French health pass by applying in advance.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

A general summary is shown below.

https://uk.ambafrance.org/Health-pass-and-vaccination-in-the-UK

Ps That will presumably cover the issue re Isle of Man certificates as well.

Edited by David Williams