The old "sailing full" routine.

6 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Scotland and the Isle of Man don't have an app showing vaccine status so those of us from those places can't eat out or visit French tourist attractions

You can download the French Tousanticovid app and scan British vaccination QR codes into it. I thought under 17s unvaccinated were OK into France? Need to check.

6 minutes ago, colin said:

You can download the French Tousanticovid app and scan British vaccination QR codes into it. I thought under 17s unvaccinated were OK into France? Need to check.

I believe that 12-17 year old kids will need a pass come October and that will cause issues at half term !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colin said:

In Scotland we don't have a vaccination QR code. My 20 year old has a piece of paper proving that she has had 2 doses to take with her to London on Friday for her visa appointment to spend the next academic year as an English language assistant in France (appointment number 3 - the first 2 were cancelled because the centre was closed due to a covid case).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Williams said:

I believe that 12-17 year old kids will need a pass come October and that will cause issues at half term !

If they are traveling with vaccinated adults they can currently come over. They do however need a negative test 24 hours before departure. I don't know if or when that will change but hopefully not any time soon. 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Armorique could adopt a year-round PA style double-triangle... Poole > Cherbourg > Poole > Cherbourg > Plymouth > Roscoff > Plymouth > Roscoff > Poole! :D

I still am banging on about why Nova Star wasn’t grabbed while BF had the chance, my feelings on her suitability clash with many but come on, she could easily handle the pax side of things Poole - Cherbourg, doing perfectly well in Poland isn’t she!  Freightwise, the amount of freight that Poole-Cherbourg carries would have not exceeded her freight capacity.  After all Cotentin was regularly seen, shall we say, not exactly heaving with trucks was she.  Sitting high on the water many times, she should be kept as a dedicated freight ship.  Should have got Nova Star, suitable ship she was till Polferries got her and she is theirs now!   I still insist she is the ideal replacement for Barf.  And posher than Armorique, more like Monty, she is…😁

I have finally been advised that my October crossing from Saint Malo will be on The Armorique and not Bretagne. The message confirms that the newer ship will cover the route until 31st October. Not a surprise, but it is now official - presumably Bretagne will not carry any passengers until next year. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

I have finally been advised that my October crossing from Saint Malo will be on The Armorique and not Bretagne. The message confirms that the newer ship will cover the route until 31st October. Not a surprise, but it is now official - presumably Bretagne will not carry any passengers until next year. 

Like elderly relatives, she will be looked after at home for the winter and not have to go out in the cold, wet and windy weather.  👵🌩️🛏️

• Like 2

Like elderly relatives, she will be looked after at home for the winter and not have to go out in the cold, wet and windy weather. 

By which time all her working bits will have seized up. (probably including the vaccum toilets).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

By which time all her working bits will have seized up. (probably including the vaccum toilets).

What is the outcome of such a situation? Does the flow get reversed to lubricate the mechanism (hopefully not) or do they simply increase the power until something liquid gets sucked down the tube (preceded by branded shower curtains, all the accumulated fluff in the air vents, assorted bedding, Pierre le Bear's costume)?

Ed

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What is the outcome of such a situation? Does the flow get reversed to lubricate the mechanism (hopefully not) or do they simply increase the power until something liquid gets sucked down the tube (preceded by branded shower curtains, all the accumulated fluff in the air vents, assorted bedding, Pierre le Bear's costume)?

Ed

Edited by IanN
Poor taste

You mean Pierre the Bear wears a costume ?      

Oh no !   I believed in him just like Father Christmas.       Shame on you Ed.

What about the Ferrynauts ?   BF expecting 7 year olds to have a smartphone and download the app ?.

Does that mean poor Mum or Dad after buying junior a smart phone then have to buy Premium Wi-Fi too ?

.521021077_Ferryn.png.e0e51be916409559f24ef125fd9b0895.png

I'll stick with Potty the Pirate, he's free !

Potty.jpeg.30bb0214a17035ccf661f43b2ba9fb25.jpeg

Edited by BZH29
typo

It is the case that the longer a ship remains laid up the more it deteriorates. Toilets can be a particular problem as, like car air conditioning systems, the seals dry out and crack and there are pressure leaks. Some years ago there was a cruise ship, I think it was an older one bought by Thomson, which had been laid up for a while and brought back into service. A large proportion of the cabin toilets stopped working on the inaugural cruise and a lot of work was needed to remedy the problem. It rather spoilt the experience of many passengers.

Any systems using fluids such as oil can dry out and compromise machinery. If Bretagne with her venerable systems has been laid up for a couple of years then there will certainly be issues in restoring her to normal working order. This mcould prompt BF to consider whether it is time to let her go. I do hope not but if the rest of the fleet can manage without her then that might be what happens. Barfleur is equally vulnerable I think.

7 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

It is the case that the longer a ship remains laid up the more it deteriorates. Toilets can be a particular problem as, like car air conditioning systems, the seals dry out and crack and there are pressure leaks. Some years ago there was a cruise ship, I think it was an older one bought by Thomson, which had been laid up for a while and brought back into service. A large proportion of the cabin toilets stopped working on the inaugural cruise and a lot of work was needed to remedy the problem. It rather spoilt the experience of many passengers.

Any systems using fluids such as oil can dry out and compromise machinery. If Bretagne with her venerable systems has been laid up for a couple of years then there will certainly be issues in restoring her to normal working order. This mcould prompt BF to consider whether it is time to let her go. I do hope not but if the rest of the fleet can manage without her then that might be what happens. Barfleur is equally vulnerable I think.

Would imagine those two ships are being regularly checked for stuff like that.  Wonder if someone’s job (pun intended) is to go round flushing all the cabin toilets daily and run taps.  When the cruise ships were laid up near us in Poole Bay over the past year, the vessels regularly had “exercise” as we called it, they went for a mooch.  If they weren’t going to Southampton for their regular servicing calls, they were often seen going on a mooch before re-anchoring. 

You'd like to think so, but it all costs money. The cruise ships in Poole Bay are all modern vessels and need to get revenue earning asap so there is an incentive to keep them on top line.

Bretagne and Barfleur are second line ships in the BF  fleet now and if the fleet can manage without them then the writing is on the wall. Their future can only be regarded as precarious and will depend on returning demand which cannot be guaranteed. The future is E Flexers for standardisation and financially that is the way to go. The Glory Days of BF with their individualistic fleet charateristics may now become a fond memory. Economic considerations trump style.

Bretagne is part of my family history and I love the ship to bits but I have to accept that the Covid situation means that her career may come to a premature end. We still have the memories and phots of an exceptional ship.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Bretagne and Barfleur are second line ships in the BF  fleet now and if the fleet can manage without them then the writing is on the wall.

Regrettably, this could be very true.

Even when this pandemic does subside BF will probably still have over capacity. This could be the beginning of the end for the once beautiful Bretagne.

4 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Regrettably, this could be very true.

Even when this pandemic does subside BF will probably still have over capacity. This could be the beginning of the end for the once beautiful Bretagne.

Hopefully they will get 2 or 3 years out of her before replacement. I think that when the pandemic does subside it will be back to normal in France

I think that when the pandemic does subside it will be back to normal in France

I wouldn't bet on that I'm afraid.

As a pensioner, having two years when I have been unable to  make our regular France visits, personal circumstances have changed and it will be more difficult in the future.

Plus Brexit has complicated the bureaucracy and I'm not sure if I want to bother with it all. BF are almost certainly catering for an aging and declining holiday clientele. As things hopefully return to a degree of normality then younger UK holidaymakers will favour a resumption of holidays to Spanish, Portugese, Greek and Turkish beaches. There will always be a market for touring the near Continent but I fear it will not be on the same scale as it used to be. That might of course be a plus for those people who do so.

It will be interesting of course to see the extent to which passenger numbers return to previous levels in 2022 when hopefully the Covid issue has become internationally manageable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

A lot of Ed’s postings are.

No it was mine that was in poor taste.  I couldn't delete it but could delete the content. Sorry ED nothing to do with you