The one that never came

21 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Thanks to an inspection visit in Gdansk I was able to take a pic of Nova Star being loaded of her crossing to Nynäshamn. The linkspan is located close the Westerplatte which saw the very first battle of the Second World War in 1939. A very moving and humbling site to visit. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerplatte

IMG_20210817_170540.jpg

I’m surprised Brigitte hasn’t pitched in yet on this one, her second favourite ship…🤣

And what a stupid (and inconvenient when you’re taking snaps) place to plant a tree….

Chris

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I’m surprised Brigitte hasn’t pitched in yet on this one, her second favourite ship…🤣

And what a stupid (and inconvenient when you’re taking snaps) place to plant a tree….

Chris

She already has Chris on the "sailing full" thread. She also mentioned her other favouite, the one which once upon a time used to sail from Poole!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, crechbleiz said:

I managed to squeeze in a boat tour of the shipyard and old city at sunset. Very interesting and only 13 euros.

https://www.galar.org/en/sunset-cruise/

Here in France right now it would be even cheaper. We haven't had a sunset for about a week. Everyone is hoping that the weather in September might be better and that we get a 'delta' summer!

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/08/2021 at 08:56, crechbleiz said:

I managed to squeeze in a boat tour of the shipyard and old city at sunset. Very interesting and only 13 euros.

https://www.galar.org/en/sunset-cruise/

That looks really good, shame I didn't know about that when I was there!

The World War 2 museum was fantastic - I think I spent about 4 hours in there and could have happily spent more.

On 18/08/2021 at 19:07, Fine Whine said:

Chris

I have only just seen this thread - obviously not paying attention..😂

Yep, still looks the same old Norman Leader.  Well, at least one of my favourite ships is still ploughing away..😂

Edited by Khaines

On 20/08/2021 at 15:32, VikingVoyager said:

Eee, bye Gum, Rowan behold, it's another thread full of puns.

I'm a Sycamore of them to be honest. Someone should take the 'Elm and Spruce things up a bit

I just logged in and and saw this collection of tree-related puns. If you think I'm going to leaf it there, you're wrong. I'm going to branch out and try to give yew some new ones. But for now I'm a bit short of inspiration. In fact you could say I'm stumped but stick around and I'll be bark!

Ed

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just logged in and and saw this collection of tree-related puns. If you think I'm going to leaf it there, you're wrong. I'm going to branch out and try to give yew some new ones. But for now I'm a bit short of inspiration. In fact you could say I'm stumped but stick around and I'll be bark!

Ed

I thought it was odd you didn't come out of the woodwork earlier... 

• Haha 2

Back to the topic at hand, here's a snap I took 8 years ago of Nova Star's predecessor on the route, Scandinania, before boarding on a miserable evening for Sweden.  She began life as the Visby before becoming the Stena Felicity and sailing in British waters.  She was quite tatty on Polferries' watch and I hope she's better cared for in her new life in the Med.  Also of interest is the fact that the Polferries berth was then on the other side of the river to where it is now, and we were directly alongside the lighthouse from which the Germans fired the first shots across the river to the Polish garrison on the Westerplatte.  They expected the garrison to fall in a day. It took them a week.

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pegpilot said:

Back to the topic at hand, here's a snap I took 8 years ago of Nova Star's predecessor on the route, Scandinania, before boarding on a miserable evening for Sweden.  She began life as the Visby before becoming the Stena Felicity and sailing in British waters.  She was quite tatty on Polferries' watch and I hope she's better cared for in her new life in the Med.  

DSC_0279.JPG

Thanks for this, I travelled on her as a foot passenger in 2007. Some kind Swedes gave me a lift all the way from Nynashamn to central Stockholm. I seem to remember she was in decent nick then. You might be disappointed in her current nick I am afraid: RIGEL II - IMO 7826788 - Callsign C6TA7 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker

I must unearth my photos of my ferry jaunts from round that time and post a few on here. 

4 hours ago, Pegpilot said:

Back to the topic at hand, here's a snap I took 8 years ago of Nova Star's predecessor on the route, Scandinania, before boarding on a miserable evening for Sweden.  She began life as the Visby before becoming the Stena Felicity and sailing in British waters.  She was quite tatty on Polferries' watch and I hope she's better cared for in her new life in the Med.  Also of interest is the fact that the Polferries berth was then on the other side of the river to where it is now, and we were directly alongside the lighthouse from which the Germans fired the first shots across the river to the Polish garrison on the Westerplatte.  They expected the garrison to fall in a day. It took them a week.

DSC_0279.JPG

Every front-on view of this ship shows the legacy of the hammering her bow took during her Irish Sea days. 

And here is a video of the old girl back in 1990 just after being launched on the Rosslare to Fishguard route. 

Notice how the threat of airline travel is being discussed even back then. This was when legacy airlines still ruled the roost in Europe. 

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0402/691752-launch-of-felicity/

Edited by zuludelta