DAY TWO TEST

So which testing center is everybody using. I have tried countless time at Expert Medical but cannot get past the first page for registration saying 'must accept terms etc'.

Any other cheap and efficient sites?

Which ever one you do, have a look at trust pilot first to understand the issues. Expert Medicals comes out as bad !

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.expert-medicals.co.uk

At least Randox (£43) has moved to average https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.randoxhealth.com

I found Randox fine, however you need to order well in advance if you want it to arrive before you leave and you need to make sure that there is a convenient dropbox.

In Wales we are obliged to use the government scheme run by CTM. The cost is now £68. I used the service three times and so far the tests and the results all came in a timely manner. 

Off topic, I have started to use Breathe Assured for the fit to fly tests which are done from home under the supervision of a nurse via teams or zoom. The cost is £45 per test and is reduced if you bulk buy. The test time is flexible and with plenty of slots available. It did not occur to me before that it could be valid for returning flights too. Nurse confirmed that it was the case. I shall try this option next time I am in France since finding a suitable appointment in a pharmacy has become difficult in France. 

https://breatheassured.com/

51 minutes ago, crechbleiz said:

finding a suitable appointment in a pharmacy has become difficult in France. 

Hi.

Just got MUCH easier post 15 aout. Super U pharmacie now same day against a week last Thursday.

31 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Only if it has a Pharmacie  and that does tests,  you may get a strange look at the fish counter.

The sante.fr site shows where you can get tests.

Un kilo de langoustines et un dépistage Covid Antigène svp!

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Only if it has a Pharmacie  and that does tests,  you may get a strange look at the fish counter.

The sante.fr site shows where you can get tests.

Ask for a Covid test and they might assume you are squidding. 

Ed

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, David Williams said:

Which ever one you do, have a look at trust pilot first to understand the issues. Expert Medicals comes out as bad !

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.expert-medicals.co.uk

At least Randox (£43) has moved to average https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.randoxhealth.com

I found Randox fine, however you need to order well in advance if you want it to arrive before you leave and you need to make sure that there is a convenient dropbox.

I used Expert Medicals for a Day 2 test earlier in the summer. £36 including postage each. Ordered them three days before departure and day before filling out the passenger locator form. Got the reference number fine. They arrived at home before we did. Sent back tests same day. Results came back 2.5 days later.

My opinion is so long as they are approved and can give you a correct reference for the locator form, I'm not all that concerned about a delay in results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes. I have booked Expert Medicals for our day 2 tests next week. Found the web site very easy to use. Their map seems to indicate that you can use virtually any Royal Mail postbox for the return, and the price is now down to £28 each. Still a nuisance, but not the daunting hassle that I had feared. And the pre departure tests are booked at the Pharmacie a two minute stroll through the Chateau. Again, far simpler than I had feared - if it all goes to plan, of course.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Oaken said:

My opinion is so long as they are approved and can give you a correct reference for the locator form, I'm not all that concerned about a delay in results

Not that concerned about the results either

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

Yes. I have booked Expert Medicals for our day 2 tests next week. Found the web site very easy to use. Their map seems to indicate that you can use virtually any Royal Mail postbox for the return, and the price is now down to £28 each. Still a nuisance, but not the daunting hassle that I had feared. And the pre departure tests are booked at the Pharmacie a two minute stroll through the Chateau. Again, far simpler than I had feared - if it all goes to plan, of course.

Watch out for postage - Expert Medicals charged £7.99 each (hence my £36 per test figure). I found another provider at £25 per test but postage was around £70!!!

• Like 1

We have used Expert Medical and so far so good. We have our reference numbers for the PLF and the kit will arrive in the next few days. Fingers crossed we won't get Covid while in France, that's all!

Got to ask, why bother sending it back, especially if the test shows a negative result.

52 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

Got to ask, why bother sending it back, especially if the test shows a negative result.

a) with a PCR test you don't see the result, that is done in the lab once you send it off.

b) Not complying with the regulation (ie taking the test and sending it off) could result in a fine of up to £2000 in England.

However, it is your decision !

Presumably the simplest solution in the long term is to put an end to this testing system and allow people to do autotests on day two and five (for example), but to film themselves doing so. The results can be declared online and random checks can be made. The videos will have a date and time stamp and if you are asked to upload your video it will be very difficult to falsify it.

Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Presumably the simplest solution in the long term is to put an end to this testing system and allow people to do autotests on day two and five (for example), but to film themselves doing so. The results can be declared online and random checks can be made. The videos will have a date and time stamp and if you are asked to upload your video it will be very difficult to falsify it.

Ed

We don't bother filming anyone or verifying who takes the test, the current tests can all be done by the same person in the household and no-one would know.  The UK obsession is with sequencing the positive results  and this need PCR tests,  however that could be done by making everyone take an Antigen test and then doing a PCR test if positive. This could be managed by the NHS system with a fixed charge.

Re Antigen tests, there are UK companies that make you take an Antigen test whilst watched by a nurse online and then send back a photo of the result, however there are also ones that just rely on the photo (https://www.c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel) that seem to work ok.

Edited by David Williams

Given that infection rates seem to be more or less equally distributed across the near Continent neighbours what is the point of it all really?

The Delta variant seems to be pretty much universal and incredibly virulent and it looks like that the majority of the populations are going to be exposed to it. Most vaccinated people should hopefully be able to cope with it without the need for hospitalisation. Those that haven't will have to take the consequences.

Once most people have been exposed one way or another the variant will hopefully have run its course.  If it is as efficient in causing infections as seems to be the case then other variants should become ineffective and the Covid infection may burn itself out.

We live in hope!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, David Williams said:

UK obsession is with sequencing the positive results

Less than 5% of positives are being sequenced. That not obsession that's negligence  as it is the reason given for day two testing

37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Sorry but the simplest solution is to stop all testing unless you have symptoms and get back to normal. Do we really want this for the long term.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, IanN said:

Sorry but the simplest solution is to stop all testing unless you have symptoms and get back to normal. Do we really want this for the long term.

I agree but until the authorities are satisfied they no longer need to suspect everyone we are going to have to find an interim solution. A pack of five tests over here costs around 30€ which I think is a price most people would accept if it allowed them to travel freely. 

This article is interesting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58270098

Ed

23 minutes ago, IanN said:

Less than 5% of positives are being sequenced. That not obsession that's negligence  as it is the reason given for day two testing

That is the percentage of the standard NHS tests being sequenced, the rule is that all day 2 positives must be sequenced. A number of politicians quoted the wrong figure !

Just now, David Williams said:

In the UK we can get them for nothing but can't use them for travel. I have 14 unused ones at home.

We can too through my wife's work but I'm suggesting they are paid for and perhaps have a traceable code on them to facilitate the reporting process.

Ed