DAY TWO TEST

3 hours ago, KenTownley said:

We have used Expert Medical and so far so good. We have our reference numbers for the PLF and the kit will arrive in the next few days. Fingers crossed we won't get Covid while in France, that's all!

Got to ask, why bother sending it back, especially if the test shows a negative result.

I wondered that too as we're not asked by the Govt for the result. 

Also any <18s are dependents on the PLF and you're not asked for their Day 2 reference number. Found that out after o bought them though.

On 18/08/2021 at 18:52, KenTownley said:

Un kilo de langoustines et un dépistage Covid Antigène svp!

I thought this thread was about the cricket when I saw the title.  Now THAT would get odd looks in Super U if you tried to discuss the day's events at Lord's 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, David Williams said:

That is the percentage of the standard NHS tests being sequenced, the rule is that all day 2 positives must be sequenced. A number of politicians quoted the wrong figure !

If I have this wrong I apologise this is from the Telegraph.

Potential Covid variants are entering the UK unchecked as the rate of positive tests being genome sequenced from amber-listed countries has fallen to just three per cent, official figures show. (From the Telegraph end of July 2021) I would not expect it has changed much since then as the numbers travelling have increased significantly

Edited by IanN

5 minutes ago, IanN said:

Money bags

It's more to do with psychology. If you make people pay for something I think they are more likely to use it (as no-one wants to throw money away) and use it correctly (as they want their money's worth) and be as careful as possible when it comes to the risk of catching Covid as they know the potential financial and social consequences of a positive test. 

I'm suggesting they be paid for, either in a pharmacy, online or included in your holiday package and distributed by the operator on departure from the UK (with the tracing code to prove you have paid provided for the Passenger Locator Form). This would also allow them to be used while abroad in the case of a suspected infection. You then film yourself (and family) doing the tests, upload the results with the same traceability codes and keep the videos files for a minimum of 14 days in case a spot check is required. 

Prices would be capped for the tests but if they were absorbed into the cost of a holiday package then few people would even notice. 

Ed

Very much tongue in cheek about the money side of things.

We were told we needed the testing for sequencing fair enough but it's not happening, Drop boxes over flowing / not emptied bet they did not get processed. Results not received were the tests even done do you wonder why some of us are cynical about the whole testing process. 

As far as videoing is concerned that is a good idea but is  discriminatory as you need a smart phone or video camera. Also good luck getting my parents to video themselves even if they had a smart phone and an internet connection the mind boggles.

Your parents are part of a minority, sadly dwindling, for whom there would be obstacles but for whom travel is also becoming progressively less common due to age, failing health and the cost of insurance. 

90%+ of those needing to do a test would be able to do so themselves and any competent adult would be allowed to film another (family member, friend, district nurse, pharmacist etc) so such obstacles are relatively easy to overcome.

Ed

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

90%+ of those needing to do a test would be able to do so themselves

Ed, the vast majority of day 2 tests are done by the person being tested and then put in an envelope and sent away for testing. The only difference with PCR and antigen  is that the antigen result is visible at home.

I think that a lot of people do the test because they have paid for it as part of the holiday cost.

They are not bothered about the result they have done as required to get back into the country.  

The government are not keeping to their side by sequencing all the positive results (not even close to 10%)

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 19:39, David Williams said:

In the UK we can get them for nothing but can't use them for travel. I have 14 unused ones at home.

How ridiculous is that. We take NHS a free self-swab test every other day, important as I have early stages of prostate cancer, so I am at a higher risk than Joe or Jolene Average. We have always tested negative. Furthermore, we have a small pile of plastic test strips, all showing a negative result. I shall continue self-testing (and submitting the result to the NHS) while I am away so why in God's name can't I submit the test strips as proof that I am negative (always assuming that I continue to test negative!).

6 hours ago, KenTownley said:

How ridiculous is that. We take NHS a free self-swab test every other day, important as I have early stages of prostate cancer, so I am at a higher risk than Joe or Jolene Average. We have always tested negative. Furthermore, we have a small pile of plastic test strips, all showing a negative result. I shall continue self-testing (and submitting the result to the NHS) while I am away so why in God's name can't I submit the test strips as proof that I am negative (always assuming that I continue to test negative!).

I coud not agree more, this is deviod of all logic, when we have a world class NHS. 

What incentive did the "Appoval Authoritiy" have when restricting tests to specific testing companies? Especially when a number have now been found to be fakes, rogues and scams.

12 hours ago, colinschandler said:

What incentive did the "Appoval Authoritiy" have when restricting tests to specific testing companies? Especially when a number have now been found to be fakes, rogues and scams.

It is / was purely a deterrent to travel.

1 hour ago, IanN said:

It is / was purely a deterrent to travel.

I think that's the answer, they don't want people to travel but get clobbered if they come out and say it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solo said:

I think that's the answer, they don't want people to travel but get clobbered if they come out and say it.

Here, here!

And you can bet a £ to a pinch of **** that some government crony or cronies is making money out of selling these tests, probably the fraudulent ones reported at the weekend.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

Here, here!

And you can bet a £ to a pinch of **** that some government crony or cronies is making money out of selling these tests, probably the fraudulent ones reported at the weekend.

Google it. Seems a few are eating at this particular trough

Hi All,

Do not use the BF2021 code for Randox. It will only give you £3 off the day two test cost.

Use NFPCR as it will give you £5 discount. 
I found this out after booking two of the three tests and am now annoyed!

Also blimin gov website still not right with loads of £20 tests that then turn out to be £60 when you click on them… farcical and ridiculous. I get it wrong and £500 -£2000 fines, gov gets it wrong and still acts with impunity and arrogance…

• Like 1

We are satisfied with the Express Medical experience - we've just completed them which is a bit of a tiresome process. Cost of £28pp. Only negative point is that our local 'village' chemist is now offering them cheaper still, so, next time . . .

• Thanks 1

First of all, hello everyone.

We're off to Lille and Tours next week and returning in second week of September from Caen to Portsmouth.

Did a bit of digging on the Day 2 test companies and plumped for Nationwide Pathology as the reviews weren't bad at all (for a Covid testing company). Website form a bit of a mess (dates in US format etc) so need to take care but got numbers generated immediately for both of us by email. Ordered yesterday afternoon and the tests arrived this morning which I was impressed with. 

Will report back when we're home and have sent them off but the main thing is, we have the tests and the reference numbers to get in the country! 

2 hours ago, CirrusDesAigles said:

First of all, hello everyone.

Will report back when we're home and have sent them off but the main thing is, we have the tests and the reference numbers to get in the country! 

Hello and thanks, will look up that supplier. Did the kit fit through the letterbox and did it come with a Royal Mail return label ?

Thanks

Here's a question that I'm not able to answer. One of my students has had three trips to the UK via the tunnel cancelled. They were planning on travelling around Wales in their campervan last summer, then in May and again this summer. They are now thinking about October given that quarantine is no longer necessary. How can they book and receive their tests if they don't have a UK address?

Ed

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I have just noticed that you said Wales, you would need to persuade them to stay in England for  10 days first as Wales requires Government  postal tests.

Oh, they were only planning a fortnight in the country. If they have to hang around in England first that's not going to work. I just checked the Welsh rules and it said this:

What you must do if you are fully vaccinated and are arriving from an amber list country.

People arriving in Wales from an amber list country, who are fully vaccinated must:

Post arrival tests must be booked before your departure, through the CTM portal. Book your tests on the CTM portal.

----

I don't think that will prove a problem, test wise, will it?

Ed