DAY TWO TEST

Testing seems to be like a drug it becomes addictive so best not to start. We have gone mad with it. We have 4 times more daily positive results than Spain. Are we 4 times worse at disease control than Spain? Looking at people out and about today in Hondarriba they are just getting  on with life. It's Sunday Lunch the bars and terraces are full Masks are worn in doors but that seems to be about it. Spanish and French a few Germans and Dutch all mixing but very few Brits. What have we allowed this virus and our political masters to do to us.

Rant Over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

image.thumb.jpeg.41f45a4af1f41b1eb31cbc45d9d41dd2.jpeg

My last Randox delivery !

David I plan to get the number for the locator form in a couple of weeks. How do I open the door for the delivery as I will still be in Spain. (I am waiting to see if the rules change like you)

1 minute ago, IanN said:

David I plan to get the number for the locator form in a couple of weeks. How do I open the door for the delivery as I will still be in Spain. (I am waiting to see if the rules change like you)

The previous test was left with a neighbour as I was in France & I received a nice picture of his door !

When I returned he brought them round, however I could not go to him as we were self isolating (they brought in Amber plus the week I returned) !

That is why I am going to use Nationwide Pathology for the next one as they just send out first class on the day of order and are designed to fit through a letterbox - you have to order each person's test individually.

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Looking at people out and about today in Hondarriba

Presumably the Parador ?

Probably the most expensive night's stay I have ever had, however a very impressive place. We stayed there in July just before our dash across the border which was a bit of an anti-climax !

38 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Presumably the Parador ?

Probably the most expensive night's stay I have ever had, however a very impressive place. We stayed there in July just before our dash across the border which was a bit of an anti-climax !

You could have swam across. Very pricey but we booked very early so got a fair price. Always wanted to visit and it was a good reconnoitre as a possible first stop if we fall out with BF and drive through France. To expensive to repeat but OK just once and we noted other hotel options while meandering about

Edited by IanN

33 minutes ago, IanN said:

You could have swam across. Very pricey but we booked very early so got a fair price. Always wanted to visit and it was a good reconnoitre as a possible first stop if we fall out with BF and drive through France. To expensive to repeat but OK just once and we noted other hotel options while meandering about

Hope you found/find a nice restaurant nearby. The Parador, not having a restaurant themselves, always recommend a little place down the road that does the best steak frites I've had outside France. We always get a bottle of cava and some canapes in the room courtesy of the jefe so it goes toward the extra cost!

1 hour ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Hope you found/find a nice restaurant nearby. The Parador, not having a restaurant themselves, always recommend a little place down the road that does the best steak frites I've had outside France. We always get a bottle of cava and some canapes in the room courtesy of the jefe so it goes toward the extra cost!

To be honest we pigged out at breakfast so we will only require a light snack. We will see what Sos del Rey offers tomorrow. Three for two deal so again not a bad price

17 hours ago, IanN said:

To be honest we pigged out at breakfast so we will only require a light snack. We will see what Sos del Rey offers tomorrow. Three for two deal so again not a bad price

The restaurant at Sos del Rey Catolico does a wonderful specialty menu of local delights, including the famed Aragon roast lamb. Be warned, though, that the quantities would feed the Brigade of Guards. Enjoy!

23 hours ago, David Williams said:

That is why I am going to use Nationwide Pathology for the next one as they just send out first class on the day of order and are designed to fit through a letterbox - you have

I have given them a go as I can collect as its's under 10 minutes away from home. Thanks David. An body desperate for the results can do it on site and get the results the same day if before twelve

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 14:45, CirrusDesAigles said:

First of all, hello everyone.

We're off to Lille and Tours next week and returning in second week of September from Caen to Portsmouth.

Did a bit of digging on the Day 2 test companies and plumped for Nationwide Pathology as the reviews weren't bad at all (for a Covid testing company). Website form a bit of a mess (dates in US format etc) so need to take care but got numbers generated immediately for both of us by email. Ordered yesterday afternoon and the tests arrived this morning which I was impressed with. 

Will report back when we're home and have sent them off but the main thing is, we have the tests and the reference numbers to get in the country! 

An update for you all. We arrived in Portsmouth early Sunday morning, did the PCR tests Sunday evening and popped them in the local postbox. The tracking said they weren't collected until Monday night and were delivered to Nationwide Pathology at 9.30am Tuesday morning. My wife got her results at about 10am this morning and I got mine at 12.40pm. Just over 24 hours for the results after a weekend backlog seemed reasonable. 

The main delay seemed to be the tests sitting in the postbox for 24 hours so something to consider if you're arriving back on a Sunday and are keen to get results quickly as obviously Royal Mail don't do much on Sundays. 

Overall, can't really fault the service from Nationwide Pathology. 

• Like 2

It looks like we will be told the new framework for testing and colour coding soon, some agencies are saying this Friday, however Parliament was told that it would be  informed so maybe Monday !

I haven't booked any tests yet for my trip that starts on Monday, I was hoping that some or all of them will be removed by my return.

BF press release https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-reacts-to-change-in-uk-government-coronavirus-related-international-travel-restrictions/

It is pushing half term travel, sadly it ignores the problem that no British kids will have 2 jabs at present and Health Pass will apply to them in October.

Edited by David Williams

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

BF press release https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-reacts-to-change-in-uk-government-coronavirus-related-international-travel-restrictions/

It is pushing half term travel, sadly it ignores the problem that no British kids will have 2 jabs at present and Health Pass will apply to them in October.

That's the problem my sister is having if she comes over here to see us. 

I'm trying to ascertain from my contacts at the hospital if it's possible for tourists to buy doses of Pfizer once in France. You will shortly be able to get the jabs at chemists which in theory means they can accept payment. I'm doubtful but it's worth a try. 

Ed

52 minutes ago, David Williams said:

If it is not a saving, what is it ?

It's something we should not have had to pay in the first place so cannot be a saving.  Grant Shapps who announced this was insistent at the beginning of the year that we should not travel. Then in August was holidaying abroad!!! In October the rules change again when most have spent their spare cash in expensive Britain (At least till the end of the year which was slipped in at the end of the announcement). Is now giving us a Saving!!!! Is he looking to get re elected in the near future. He could better spend his time sorting out Plymouth Border Control or the M5 7 Hours yesterday Plymouth to Leicester 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

The UK Gov has changed things . Have they? Whats the betting on the price of a simplified Antigen test through test labs/postage/return postage plus a "free" PCR test if you are positive? We shall see..
Has this rip off game ended?

It depends on how complicated they make the process and how you get/ take the antigen test. I would have thought that they would aim for around £25- £30 as they need to include the cost of a percentage having PCR tests. 

Just now, David Williams said:

It depends on how complicated they make the process and how you get/ take the antigen test. I would have thought that they would aim for around £25- £30 as they need to include the cost of a percentage having PCR tests. 

David 

I know we have different views on this but Spain does not require any Tests if fully vaccinated and their infection rates are the last time I looked 80% less than ours. Why don't we aim for zero % then if we miss we might hit 10%

I am due a booster jab in November seeing as my second jab was May 6th, mine was the AZ one, and apparently the boosters are going to be Pfizer or Moderna, I’ll have mine anyway, but would rather have the AZ one, a y idea why they are not using the AZ for boosters?  I am glad that at least we have seen movement on the travel front.  Can at least start thinking about ferry stuff more now.