DAY TWO TEST

4 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

The latest seems to be that the end of free LF tests is in sight and we will soon have to pay for them. Don't they realise that this will now cause people to rush out to their chemists and stock up with free test packs? Unintended consequences ....

I ordered a pack a couple of days ago - 2 packs arrived with the same Royal Mail tracking number. Stocks will go quickly if that continues!

My Nationwide Pathology test(£40) was processed efficiently. In a post box one day, delivered at 08:00 the next and the results by the evening.

Some of the vague government statements seem to say that at the end of the month it will either be Lateral Flow with picture or a PCR - hopefully we will know this week.

Note that Randox click and collect day 2 PCR is now £35, however you still need a convenient dropbox.

I note that Randox now have a lateral flow product called Certifly - 'coming soon from £20', available on IOS with Android coming shortly. I imagine that the 'from' price  means click and collect.  Should be fine if the £20 includes the PCR if needed,

Edited by David Williams

Ordered mine through Boots 2 days before getting back from Norway into Dover.  Waiting for me when I got back on Wednesday, sent off Friday afternoon, results received Sunday morning. All good.  But the combined cost of pre- and post trip tests were about £150.

From Oct 24 we can use private lateral flow tests for day 2 with a photo upload, if positive get an NHS PCR test, hopefully this will lead to competition and prices of £20 or less, Randox are about to launch click and collect at £20.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lateral-flow-tests-to-be-introduced-for-vaccinated-international-arrivals

27 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

This is all very well, but with UK cases on the rise and much higher than in Europe I wonder at what point we may have to start having tests to be allowed over there again. Perhaps it's not a good time to be upsetting folk across the Channel/North Sea.

Where we lead others always follow😀

I was musing really the hotels we used in Spain had them everywhere. Every room, all lifts, stairways, corridors, entrances to all public rooms and further points within these rooms. In contrast there did not seem to be many on PA perhaps one outside the restaurants none in the cabins they did not stick out like in the hotels. We stayed one night in a major hotel chain in the UK recently I think there was a dispenser in reception but that's about it so AC could have a point.

To get an accurate figure maybe someone could ask reception next time they are on board 

6 minutes ago, IanN said:

I was musing really the hotels we used in Spain had them everywhere. Every room, all lifts, stairways, corridors, entrances to all public rooms and further points within these rooms. In contrast there did not seem to be many on PA perhaps one outside the restaurants none in the cabins they did not stick out like in the hotels. We stayed one night in a major hotel chain in the UK recently I think there was a dispenser in reception but that's about it so AC could have a point.

To get an accurate figure maybe someone could ask reception next time they are on board 

The corridor I was in this morning at the university had one dispenser for three classrooms. I was in a company this afternoon and their corridor (4 times the length) had 3 dispensers. Crucially though, every office had bottles of gel, disinfectant and paper towels on the table. 

Ed

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Yes, it struck me how plentiful they were in Spain. A major supermarket we patronise had them at the end of each aisle and even more often in the fruit and veg section, although everyone always seems to use the free gloves. 
On the PA we saw them outside and inside lifts, at the shop and that was about it. Not even in the Commodore lounge.

I see that the Prime Minister said today that despite the rising cases Plan A was shown to be the right one and no more additional measures were necessary. It’s like a general in the Great War, “Advanced twenty yards today and only lost a hundred thousand men”. I believe Spain is keeping mask wearing until at least the spring.

22 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

Yes, it struck me how plentiful they were in Spain

In the summer I felt that Spain was far more careful than France. Even now in France with the covid pass, once in restaurants masks are off ! However France has vaccinated far more kids and the UK graphs show that the main groups are kids and those in the age group of their parents!

Macron's master stroke was to give everyone a good reason to be vaccinated for their own benefit. It will be interesting whether English figures diverge from Scotland and Wales.

9 hours ago, AmigoCirculo said:

This is all very well, but with UK cases on the rise and much higher than in Europe I wonder at what point we may have to start having tests to be allowed over there again. Perhaps it's not a good time to be upsetting folk across the Channel/North Sea.

Maybe so but it's not translating into hospital admissions, France has just over 1200 in ICU beds, the 4 nations of the U.K. has 780. Both have a similar number overall in hospital, around 7100. It's not getting any worse, it's not getting any better either and its probably as good as it'd going to get anyway.

If other nations tested in the same volume as the U.K. we may just find that the numbers aren't that much different.

The U.K. has done how many tests, 320 million? that's the equivalent of nearly 5 tests for every adult.

France is next with about 146 million, equivalent of 2 tests per countryman or woman.

Spain? 1.5 tests.

Germany which has more patients in critical condition than any of the other larger nations of Europe hasn't really bothered testing. Their equivalent is less than 1 per man woman or child.

• Like 1