"They think it's all over"

Armorique to St Malo 18th August.

BF must be heartened to see so many people travelling again but I was disheartened by some of the passengers’ attitudes.

“They think its all over” seemed to be many people’s reaction to the Covid crisis.

Wednesday night’s crossing was busy. At least 10 cyclists, 6 motorbikes, cars galore and campervans. Deck 5 was needed along with deck 3.

There were lots of children so I guess Potty the Pirate drew a good crowd.

Social distancing did not exist though, the lifts were a free for all, at one stage BF were recommending only 1 family per lift, now it was how many can we get in.

They (BF) have abandoned the safeguarding policy. Which is a great pity after being so careful for so long.

Despite the floor markings in the self serve restaurant it felt as if there were people in your back pocket. A last minute cancellation meant we could to upgrade to a Club Plus Cabin which I’d calculated would avoid the crowds at breakfast,

1458491539_earlyarrival.thumb.png.27785614a8a35556fc37590b8d9697dd.png

The state of the tide meant an earlier than usual arrival at 6.50am British time. The Commandant, Olivier Raimbeaux knew that and we docked even a little earlier, but many of the “front of house” staff weren’t geared to that. Breakfast arrived at 6.15 and the first of three requests to vacate the cabin followed 5 minutes later !    All those people milling around for so long and not yet allowed back to the car decks doesn’t seem sensible. I pressed on with a miserable breakfast. A large croissant , a round roll and a pat of butter best before 8 days ago !

339445985_11August.thumb.jpg.c54e0da9b4a2777df74c0fb75c4cb803.jpg

So keen to get us out of our cabin, the man who'd delivered the breakfast tray was back trying to snatch my half drunk cup of coffee from my hand.

A truce was agreed, he could have the tray and bread basket, I did get to finish my one cup of coffee !

Despite the early docking, unloading started about the usual time and it took around 40 minutes to clear passport control even with 4 boxes open, much longer for some.

Passports and vaccination certificates all that were required. Paper certificates made life easier for the Douaniers as the smart phones that were being handed up to the window had either faded or moved on to photos of the grandchildren by the time they were looked at. Several times I saw phones being reset to the correct page and handed over again !

Good to be sailing again but I felt safer when people were more scared and respectful towards others.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

Armorique to St Malo 18th August.

BF must be heartened to see so many people travelling again but I was disheartened by some of the passengers’ attitudes.

“They think its all over” seemed to be many people’s reaction to the Covid crisis.

Wednesday night’s crossing was busy. At least 10 cyclists, 6 motorbikes, cars galore and campervans. Deck 5 was needed along with deck 3.

There were lots of children so I guess Potty the Pirate drew a good crowd.

Social distancing did not exist though, the lifts were a free for all, at one stage BF were recommending only 1 family per lift, now it was how many can we get in.

They (BF) have abandoned the safeguarding policy. Which is a great pity after being so careful for so long.

Despite the floor markings in the self serve restaurant it felt as if there were people in your back pocket. A last minute cancellation meant we could to upgrade to a Club Plus Cabin which I’d calculated would avoid the crowds at breakfast,

1458491539_earlyarrival.thumb.png.27785614a8a35556fc37590b8d9697dd.png

The state of the tide meant an earlier than usual arrival at 6.50am British time. The Commandant, Olivier Raimbeaux knew that and we docked even a little earlier, but many of the “front of house” staff weren’t geared to that. Breakfast arrived at 6.15 and the first of three requests to vacate the cabin followed 5 minutes later !    All those people milling around for so long and not yet allowed back to the car decks doesn’t seem sensible. I pressed on with a miserable breakfast. A large croissant , a round roll and a pat of butter best before 8 days ago !

339445985_11August.thumb.jpg.c54e0da9b4a2777df74c0fb75c4cb803.jpg

So keen to get us out of our cabin, the man who'd delivered the breakfast tray was back trying to snatch my half drunk cup of coffee from my hand.

A truce was agreed, he could have the tray and bread basket, I did get to finish my one cup of coffee !

Despite the early docking, unloading started about the usual time and it took around 40 minutes to clear passport control even with 4 boxes open, much longer for some.

Passports and vaccination certificates all that were required. Paper certificates made life easier for the Douaniers as the smart phones that were being handed up to the window had either faded or moved on to photos of the grandchildren by the time they were looked at. Several times I saw phones being reset to the correct page and handed over again !

Good to be sailing again but I felt safer when people were more scared and respectful towards others.

Covid from other passengers, salmonella from the butter or stress from the steward. It sounds like you were exposed to a smorgasbord of risks. 

Ed

• Haha 1

Much prefer the buffet in Les Abers !

But reckon we got off lightly, one poor chap was re packing his car, piece by piece, he was loading the toddler's bicycle as we drove out. The douaniers had then pounced on another car only just inside the gates to the port.

1 hour ago, BZH29 said:

Not so sure it was ever more than a written / verbal policy. For example Cap Fin using the truckers servery which was full end to end last September. While being served were people turning round to go back for forgotten items. No supervision of the queue.  Pont Aven a sign in the cabin in June stating they had been specially cleaned was dusty as were other flat surfaces. Cleaning of tables in public areas after use was none existent on both crossings.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BZH29 said:

But reckon we got off lightly, one poor chap was re packing his car, piece by piece, he was loading the toddler's bicycle as we drove out. The douaniers had then pounced on another car only just inside the gates to the port.

I have been pulled over at Portsmouth a couple of times on the way out.

The first time I had bikes on the back, child car seats in the back seat and a roof box on top; I think one look at us and they knew they would be delaying the departure of the ship if they went through everything and I had to repack (there was even a Tesco supermarket load round the children's feet in the back).

The second time I had bikes on the back, one car seat and no roofbox (this time the Tesco load was on the top of the boot - the children's legs were too long). I was asked to get out and asked whether I could access the boot. I said only from the back seat and told one of the children to get out so that I could do so and I was told that this was unnecessary and I was sent on my way with no further questions).

I had the opposite experience in St Malo. Returning from a day trip we had left all our stuff in the Cabin. So when they asked us to open the boot before boarding the look on the Guy's face when he saw it was totally empty was a picture

• Haha 1