Pont Avon La Flor

Susie

Open for sit down dinning only...No buffet. Two course meal £24.95; three course with desert £29.95. Silly money! But we are looking forward enormously to sitting in that fabulous restaurant again, though it's a shame about the buffet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenTownley said:

But we are looking forward enormously to sitting in that fabulous restaurant again,

At least PA & CF have a decent restaurant open, on the Caen route we just have the transport cafe when they choose to open it.

That is one of the reasons we are going out via Dover in September.

24 minutes ago, IanN said:

I hate to say this but £24.95 for two courses is not bad it compares reasonably with a lot of pub grub these days

I'd agree that the prices are what I'd expect to pay for a good meal with great service and a nice view. I'm just not sure, if working to a budget, that I'd do so on the way to my destination rather than once there and with a choice of establishments.

Ed

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'd agree that the prices are what I'd expect to pay for a good meal with great service and a nice view. I'm just not sure, if working to a budget, that I'd do so on the way to my destination rather than once there and with a choice of establishments.

Ed

It’s an option, it is not compulsory. It is a relaxing place to eat, the wine is reasonably priced & the 10% cv discount appreciated . I find the self service too depressing a place to relax in. Time wise,  the only option is where on the ship to eat, eating on land is not usually possible.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

My thoughts exactly about on the way to a destination. Not sure about your pricing a 12Oz Rump at the pub 200 yards from us is £29.75 and sits on large traffic light controlled island The view consist of a Petrol Station. Pub Car Park, an Old Peoples home and a row of houses Steak and Ale Pie comes in at about £14.95. Cheaper options are available locally but not much at about £12.95 for the pie 

SIRLOIN 12OZ

A delicate flavour balanced with a firmer texture, recommended medium rare.

9 minutes ago, IanN said:

My thoughts exactly about on the way to a destination. Not sure about your pricing a 12Oz Rump at the pub 200 yards from us is £29.75 and sits on large traffic light controlled island The view consist of a Petrol Station. Pub Car Park, an Old Peoples home and a row of houses Steak and Ale Pie comes in at about £14.95. Cheaper options are available locally but not much at about £12.95 for the pie 

SIRLOIN 12OZ

For that price I'd want to be closely involved with every step in the cow's life from conception (ok, maybe not that closely) to plate via the abattoir. 

The price was more what I'd pay on this side of the channel, not the inflated nonsense in the UK.

Ed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanN said:

I hate to say this but £24.95 for two courses is not bad it compares reasonably with a lot of pub grub these days

Good value I'd say. The relaxed ambience and (generally) excellent service in Le Flora (or Les Abers) is the perfect way to start a holiday, and I and many others are happy to pay for it. I don't want to be queuing up for my food and sitting at a wipe-clean table.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

For that price I'd want to be closely involved with every step in the cow's life from conception (ok, maybe not that closely) to plate via the abattoir. 

The price was more what I'd pay on this side of the channel, not the inflated nonsense in the UK.

Ed

This price for the steak was in a national chain not a local up market Free House

No offence, maybe Some people need a reality check on the restaurant prices elsewhere….  I have always found BF great value for money, definitely comparable to most ‘cheap’ chain restaurants & pubs… , but I.M.O BF would clearly win on the quality of food and with a great  ambiance in their ‘main’ restaurant> I would honestly struggle to find any comparable place offering 3 courses, with the (usual) BF quality for under £30. (That is Certainly my opinion the last few post covid visits on both MSM & PA this month) 

With regards to the Buffet offering, I would always choose the À la cart option over a buffet menu because I like the waiter service serving lovey French cuisine to the table, as such, I’m happy to pay the (small) premium compared To the buffet.

I do find it somewhat off putting seeing a buffet counter with [gluttonous (British) ] people piling their plates too high and being disappointed when I see them leaving the food to go to waste because their eyes are too big for their bellies… 😝 (feeding time at the zoo always always springs to mind)

All of this talk of food has made me wish I was in La Flora now, sampling the lovey food on offer! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, IanN said:

Someone has undertaken a class in creative writing , if your steak turns out to be tough you will be told that it clearly states  "firmer texture" on the menu .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I eat out a lot and £29.95 for a Sirloin definitely seems at the higher end, more central London prices to be honest 

Les Abers/La Flora are decent value though I’d say for the level of quality and ambiance 

4 minutes ago, MSM88 said:

I eat out a lot and £29.95 for a Sirloin definitely seems at the higher end, more central London prices to be honest 

Les Abers/La Flora are decent value though I’d say for the level of quality and ambiance 

Look at the Miller and Carter menu. I can assure you we are not central London small town near M1 Junction 21 is more like it

We sailed out of Cork on Pont Aven a couple of Saturdays ago and had the 3 course meal in La Flora. The starters and deserts were ok nothing special but the main course of lamb was fantastic. Beautifully cooked and  presented. Add in a window table on a beautiful evening and it was a great start to the holidays. Well worth the price!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Look at the Miller and Carter menu. I can assure you we are not central London small town near M1 Junction 21 is more like it

I'd class Miller and Carter as the high end of mainstream chain restaurants, great steaks though

Going slightly off thread a moment (it's what we do).

What BF could really do with is some form of served restaurant that can be done on minimum manpower both front and behind the scenes. I don't know how to do it, but surely this is way things could go rather than just drift into universal self-service transport cafes. The land-based French small restaurant excel at this sort of model, as any white-van artisan will attest ....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

The land-based French small restaurant excel at this sort of model, as any white-van artisan will attest ....

In my experience most of those nowadays use salad and sweet bars to speed things up (starters and desserts) leaving the staff to deal with main courses only. I haven't seen how they are managing with the Covid situation but they seem as busy as ever around here.

Ed

1 hour ago, MSM88 said:

I'd class Miller and Carter as the high end of mainstream chain restaurants, great steaks though

Same group I believe as the Toby Carvery which is what it was before. Any way no way I will pay those sort of prices. Which as I have said reluctantly before, La Flora compares favourably

Back to Le Flora, I really hope that BF are understanding what their clients want and are understanding whether the Galicia food concept works or not.

The future will be different with lower staff levels (and lower numbers of customers), however they could still offer a civilised service at the table. More use of the kitchens at Roscoff and other innovations that the catering trade are moving over to would help. 

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

other innovations that the catering trade are moving over to

A 'Uber-eats'-style service with freshly-cooked food delivered direct to your Commodore cabin to enjoy dinner on your balcony would be perfect.

Ed

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Back to Le Flora, I really hope that BF are understanding what their clients want

We were on last Wednesday's crossing which according to the Lady on check in was the busiest of the year so far. Car Deck Five was full and Deck two was being used ( car in front of us went down there lucky we did not) and we were at the back of deck 3 what a difference to June. Anyway back to La Flora one sitting and plenty of spaces. There was a queue for the self self service when ever we wandered past. I would estimate the clientele as 95% over sixty and reasonably prosperous to well off. So which demographic is / will use La Flora and maybe Self service is the way BF will go.  

I would estimate the clientele as 95% over sixty and reasonably prosperous to well off. So which demographic is / will use La Flora and maybe Self service is the way BF will go.  

It's usual practice for retirees to head off for the last of the summer when the schools go back. Same thing happens at the airports in normal circumstances. Different clientele at different times of the year.