Pont Avon La Flor

Susie

2 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

It's usual practice for retirees to head off for the last of the summer when the schools go back. Same thing happens at the airports in normal circumstances. Different clientele at different times of the year.

That was my point if this group were not in La Flora what group will use it. Families with Kids? The kids given the choice I would guess not, Mum & Dad perhaps but will they want to pay £25.00 each for 2 teenagers?

7 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, it does seem a bit odd. We've never eaten in the waiter restaurants but in normal times on PA and Bretagne they always seemed to be well patronised.

In normal times, the evening meal on the Caen route attracted a decent queue prior to opening.

We used to be surprised when we couldn't get a cabin on Bretagne in September back when we still lived in Blighty but spent summers in le Minihic. Needed to bring our boat back. We know the best bits of floor...

On restaurants, I have said a few times that I think the Northlink Magnus Lounge concept would be great on Armorique. Les Abers and Le Flora are not perfect, but we never eat self service on those ships. Unwind and relax.

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, it does seem a bit odd. We've never eaten in the waiter restaurants but in normal times on PA and Bretagne they always seemed to be well patronised.

My one perspective on one crossing is not representative it could have been a one off with a lot of people like me aboard😊

I usually get annoyed that we get booted out of our seats by the piano for the La Flora overflow (I once asked if we could buy a ticket to keep the seat) so I was more than happy not to have to move. I guess if you have paid for La Flora the ambience in that area is not that great with people in and out onto the back of deck 7

I usually get annoyed that we get booted out of our seats by the piano for the La Flora overflow (I once asked if we could buy a ticket to keep the seat) so I was more than happy not to have to move. I guess if you have paid for La Flora the ambience in that area is not that great with people in and out onto the back of deck 7

Yes, that highlights one of several weaknesses in the PA design, not enough comfortable lounge seating for those who don't want to be part of the disco ambience of the bar area. Bretagne still has the port side seating forward of the bar for a quietish area but they did ruin it when they did away with the original design to expand the cafe seating area. I suppose they thought it was a good idea at the time...

IMG_1071 (Copy).JPG

IMG_1073 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

We came back on the Pont Aven and had an enjoyable evening meal, expensive but clubvoyage discount makes the difference.  The biggest shock however was the new buffet breakfast and pricing, the continient seems to have jumped in price to £15, with added cooked breakfast £9.50, (you can now opt for just a cooked breakfast). Are Brittany ferries pricing a family of four out of the la flor restaurant.

5 hours ago, Susie said:

We came back on the Pont Aven and had an enjoyable evening meal, expensive but clubvoyage discount makes the difference.  The biggest shock however was the new buffet breakfast and pricing, the continient seems to have jumped in price to £15, with added cooked breakfast £9.50, (you can now opt for just a cooked breakfast). Are Brittany ferries pricing a family of four out of the la flor restaurant.

We had twins so La Flora was always out of our price range two of everything at the same time (Shoes were the worst)

• Haha 2

On 11/09/2021 at 15:16, IanN said:

We had twins so La Flora was always out of our price range two of everything at the same time (Shoes were the worst)

So did we Ian, I know exactly what you mean 😁

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well! I never thought my throw-away comment about the "silly money" would stir such debate. That's the trouble with living in Cornwall: we aren't subject to city prices, so maybe we aren't used to what we might consider to be on the high side, but the up-country city dwellers take for granted. I was charged £6.25 for a pint of Guinness in a London pub not long ago; it's £4.95 in my local  and I think that is a bit steep.

I am not offended by the 'feeding time at the zoo' comment. We always have the buffet and pass on the main meal part of the menu. A big plate of charcuterie, followed by another of seafood, then a big plate of cheese and finished off with one of those sumptuous deserts is pure bliss in our eyes. In fact we often feel sorry for those diners who think they are being served posh nosh just because it is silver service. I case you hadn't noticed, waiters serve buffet diners too, at the start when they ask if you want wine (we always have the Sancerre with the fish, and sometimes a glass of a nice red with the meat and cheese, finished off with a tipple of Sauternes with the dessert). Then it's up to the Commodore Lounge with a glass of Armagnac and a free coffee before retiring to the cabin for a nice long sleep!

Cannot wait for those times to return, but somehow I doubt they ever will. Hey-ho (wistful sigh!)

Cheers!

cheers.jpg

• Like 3

On 07/09/2021 at 16:02, Cabin-boy said:

A 'Uber-eats'-style service with freshly-cooked food delivered direct to your Commodore cabin to enjoy dinner on your balcony would be perfect.

Ed

That would be terrific, Ed, but for those who like a bit of people-watching how about converting the underused Commodore Lounge into a silver-service restaurant exclusively reserved for Commodore and Deluxe passengers?

1 hour ago, Kerisnel said:

That would be terrific, Ed, but for those who like a bit of people-watching how about converting the underused Commodore Lounge into a silver-service restaurant exclusively reserved for Commodore and Deluxe passengers?

Not a bad idea. Giving Commodore cabin passengers a complete exclusive service might be a way of distinguishing the brand. If PA ends up permanently on St Malo they are going to have plenty of time for both lunch and dinner services. I'm just not certain there is enough space in the lounge for the number of tables you'd need. It is however directly above Le Flora making delivery of food from the kitchens easier. Perhaps a champagne bar or cocktail lounge would be better. I still like the in-cabin dining idea but it's rather weather dependent.

Ed

Three separate levels of dining on an overnight ferry? Somehow I think not!

You would have to go back to Ocean liner standards in the 1920s & 30s to match that.

I suppose Cunard's Britannia, Princess and Queen's Grill might be nominally comparable except that Cunard Britannia is already well ahead of Pont Aven Le Flora.

Photo below is QM2's Britannia Restaurant, the ship's lowest offering. Blows Le Flora out of the water!

IMG_1405.JPG

Edited by cvabishop

8 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Three separate levels of dining on an overnight ferry? Somehow I think not!

You would have to go back to Ocean liner standards in the 1930s & 30s to match that.

I suppose Cunard's Britannia, Princess and Queen's Grill might be nominally comparable except that Cunard Britannia is already well ahead of Pont Aven Le Flora.

Photo below is QM2's Britannia Restaurant, the ship's lowest offering. Blows Le Flora out of the water!

IMG_1405.JPG

Only one way is overnight. The daytime crossing is between 10am and 6pm and that means lunch coincides with perhaps a passage between the Channel Islands and French coast if you are lucky. A real steward service might be appreciated by some people, especially if the option to pre-pay for your meal was offered. 

Ed

Yes, but...

On a ferry the option between waiter service and self service available to all passengers is surely sufficient depending on how much you want to pay. An additional waiter service option available only to Commodore passengers would seem to be a little OTT.

36 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not a bad idea. Giving Commodore cabin passengers a complete exclusive service might be a way of distinguishing the brand. If PA ends up permanently on St Malo they are going to have plenty of time for both lunch and dinner services. I'm just not certain there is enough space in the lounge for the number of tables you'd need. It is however directly above Le Flora making delivery of food from the kitchens easier. Perhaps a champagne bar or cocktail lounge would be better. I still like the in-cabin dining idea but it's rather weather dependent.

Ed

Maybe you're right about the lack of space for enough tables, Ed. How about limiting it to Commodore cabin passengers only? With 18 cabins housing at most four people that would be an absolute maximum of 72 covers. You'd only need 18 tables, and in clement weather each of the two open terraces could form a very select dining area for a few people. Well-off people, of course, because there would be a premium for external dining.

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Yes, but...

On a ferry the option between waiter service and self service available to all passengers is surely sufficient depending on how much you want to pay. An additional waiter service option available only to Commodore passengers would seem to be a little OTT.

Maybe not on the ordered smaller E-Flexer, Bretagne II for instance will have a further 79 commodore cabins.

11 hours ago, Kerisnel said:

How about limiting it to Commodore cabin passengers only?

Even better seal the whole Commodore area off with access only from the car deck at the start and end of the crossing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kerisnel said:

Maybe you're right about the lack of space for enough tables, Ed. How about limiting it to Commodore cabin passengers only? With 18 cabins housing at most four people that would be an absolute maximum of 72 covers. You'd only need 18 tables, and in clement weather each of the two open terraces could form a very select dining area for a few people. Well-off people, of course, because there would be a premium for external dining.

A whole new wardrobe of dinner attire will be needed and maybe  a butler and maid to look after the steamer trunks to carry all of it .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

A whole new wardrobe of dinner attire will be needed and maybe  a butler and maid to look after the steamer trunks to carry all of it .

You have clearly already met my wife.

The thing is that St Malo is the only route with departure and arrival times which are actually civilised enough to enjoy both a meal and a film plus still have enough time to relax for the onward journey. So, if they are marketing it as a cruise, why not actually provide that type of experience? Use the PA, improve the experience and provide an attractive alternative for those who want something a bit special.

Ed

56 minutes ago, IanN said:

So just expensive not special 

I missed a punctuation mark out after 'maybe not' which makes the sentence read opposite to what I meant to say.

With Bretagne II have a further 79 commodores there maybe more justification in having a waiter service especially on the evening sailing to St Malo.

What disappoints me is the lack of choice. On board many other ferries you'll find a pizzeria, Italian restaurant or a steakhouse/grill for example as well as an a la carte & a self service. Ok it's still formulaic but it's a choice nevertheless plus they'll have a gluten free option-ask for a gluten free bread roll on a BF ship and it takes them 10 minutes to hunt one down-they don't tend to cater to dietary requirements. They're French ships, even the Upper Crust in your local railway station does better sandwiches and baguettes and M&S do a better croque monsieur. 

The restaurant food has been bog standard for a couple of decades now, it's certainly not on a par with how it was in the '90's. Fills a hole I suppose. Take Galicia for example, they're basically giving the food away with your ticket now.

Personally I don't know what all the Le Flora or Les Abers fuss is about.

Maybe it's because my lifestyle changed, been all over the place and sampled authentic food in an authentic atmosphere going where the locals go regardless of how chic the place looks... I dunno?

Maybe I'm just hard to please or have become even more of a cantankerous sod as I've got fatter, balder and need to sit closer to the gents!:$