Pont Avon La Flor

Susie

15 minutes ago, Chef said:

A whole new wardrobe of dinner attire will be needed and maybe  a butler and maid to look after the steamer trunks to carry all of it .

'ang on we'll be back to separate priority boarding lanes and a trouser press next... OOH can I have a valet, I struggle with my socks now as I've morphed from Bodie to Bulgy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

You have clearly already met my wife.

The thing is that St Malo is the only route with departure and arrival times which are actually civilised enough to enjoy both a meal and a film plus still have enough time to relax for the onward journey. So, if they are marketing it as a cruise, why not actually provide that type of experience? Use the PA, improve the experience and provide an attractive alternative for those who want something a bit special.

Ed

I'm interested to see what they do with the new St Malo E-Flexer. Having nearly 100 commodores, which is over a quarter of all her cabins, BF clearly have a particular demographic they're looking to attract. There's onboard car charging too.

51 minutes ago, jonno said:

I'm interested to see what they do with the new St Malo E-Flexer. Having nearly 100 commodores, which is over a quarter of all her cabins, BF clearly have a particular demographic they're looking to attract. There's onboard car charging too.

I agree but there's going to be a four year wait for the new ship so perhaps it would be a good idea to improve the offering now on PA and get people used to the idea.

Ed

• Like 1

I do appreciate a bit of Luxury / exclusivity though. We booked two nights with breakfast in the Alhambra Parador in Grenada for Easter 2022 back in July for £564.00 which in my opinion is much better value than the £608.00 the two Commodore cabins for the crossings. But I except that others think differently and I do respect their opinions. The same nights in the Alhambra would now cost £839.80 so booking early can pay 

1 minute ago, IanN said:

I do appreciate a bit of Luxury / exclusivity though. We booked two nights with breakfast in the Alhambra Parador in Grenada for Easter 2022 back in July for £564.00 which in my opinion is much better value than the £608.00 the two Commodore cabins for the crossings. But I except that others think differently and I do respect their opinions. The same nights in the Alhambra would now cost £839.80 so booking early can pay 

I don't think that anything seen from a BF ship's porthole is comparable with the view over Grenada. 

We are off to the south of France next weekend (hopefully) and booked our easyJet flights back in June. For the four of us with extra baggage is was around €600. I did a simulated booking yesterday to see how busy the flight might be and the same combination is now €1,800!

Ed

The new Bretagne 2 is going to have over 350 cabins, and given the length of the crossing they will probably be quite extensively used as people will spend more time in them if paying a premium. I still have my doubts about how they hope to efficiently clean all of those in the time available at each turnaround. 

Ed

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The new Bretagne 2 is going to have over 350 cabins, and given the length of the crossing they will probably be quite extensively used as people will spend more time in them if paying a premium. I still have my doubts about how they hope to efficiently clean all of those in the time available at each turnaround. 

Ed

It's simple really when the Captain says go the cleaners get off and hope to get it finished next time

I have just been thinking about something the wife mentioned a few years  back. She worked for a company providing accountancy training and a young girl in the office was all excited about a Christmas cruise her boyfriend / partner had booked. She had been on about it for ages boring everybody. Anyway she brought in the details to show everybody. The wife piped up that's the Ferry we go to Spain on. The subject was never raised again

2 hours ago, IanN said:

We booked two nights with breakfast in the Alhambra Parador in Grenada for Easter 2022 back in July for £564.00

Not sure if its still part of the deal but when we stayed at the Parador a night visit to the Alhambra was included. If it is don't miss it.

6 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Not sure if its still part of the deal but when we stayed at the Parador a night visit to the Alhambra was included. If it is don't miss it.

There is something on offer. We need to sort it out. The priority at the time was booking the hotel and car park then the other hotels and finally the Ferry. I think you can wander around once all the day trippers have gone

2 hours ago, IanN said:

At the risk of sounding like a smart-bottom I do hope you've booked in Granada and not Grenada, as the Americans have a history of invading the latter, whereas I believe the last time the former was invaded was by Ferdinand and Isabella around 1492!

Seriously, you make an interesting comparison on concepts of luxury. The rooms at the Alhambra Parador are in themselves no posher than in, say, Puebla de Sanabria, but you are paying for the location and the chance to park right up close.

As Bob has just said, the night visit is brilliant. So is getting up really early and doing a walk round in the freshness of the morning before the crowds arrive on coaches from the coast. Then strolling back for a late breakfast - worth every penny.

1 minute ago, AmigoCirculo said:

At the risk of sounding like a smart-bottom I do hope you've booked in Granada and not Grenada, as the Americans have a history of invading the latter, whereas I believe the last time the former was invaded was by Ferdinand and Isabella around 1492!

Seriously, you make an interesting comparison on concepts of luxury. The rooms at the Alhambra Parador are in themselves no posher than in, say, Puebla de Sanabria, but you are paying for the location and the chance to park right up close.

As Bob has just said, the night visit is brilliant. So is getting up really early and doing a walk round in the freshness of the morning before the crowds arrive on coaches from the coast. Then strolling back for a late breakfast - worth every penny.

Agreed luxury is not the right word but are Commodore cabins luxurious? For a guy who's farther was a miner and a mother who worked in a needle factory luxury is all relative. Dining out was a visit to the local Chippie a couple of times a year. 

Sorry for my ramblings I have pulled my back shoveling hardcore and can find little to do that doesn't hurt so the forum is passing time. Any mods please delete if not relevant

3 minutes ago, IanN said:

Agreed luxury is not the right word but are Commodore cabins luxurious?

No, I don't think they are. When you're built like a brick outhouse like I am the bathrooms are a real challenge. The beds are quite comfy though, but as I've not tried other cabins on the PA I'm not the one to make comparisons.

For us the real bonus is having the door open for the fresh air. As I think I've said before, Lady AC gets seasick looking at the Trent, but if she can lie down in comfort with fresh air coming in, she's fine. I'm prepared to pay the exorbitant cost for her comfort. No greater love hath any man.....

9 minutes ago, IanN said:

A

Sorry for my ramblings I have pulled my back shoveling hardcore and can find little to do that doesn't hurt so the forum is passing time. Any mods please delete if not relevant

PS Sorry to hear about the back- nasty stuff, hardcore. I used a motorised barrow last time we built and it was much more fun!

6 minutes ago, AmigoCirculo said:

a motorised barrow l

I've got a Worx Aerocart with optional accessories. It's great for moving gas bottles and the plants in and out of the conservatory twice a year. 8 different applications and far more stable than a traditional barrow.

Ed

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Agreed luxury is not the right word but are Commodore cabins luxurious?

A bit like the curate's egg. When the PA first sailed the Commodore cabin beds had good bedspreads. You can still see them in the publicity photo BF use, but they actually disappeared years ago. The rest of the bedding is no better than you get in any other cabin. The towels are mostly thin and fairly useless. The bathrooms often smell and the sinks are sometimes scratched and occasionally cracked. In the early PA days the fridges used to have free bottles of wine, but they too disappeared long ago.

But on the plus side: space, space and more space. A reasonable seating area. Dinner reservations made for you. Macaroons and fresh fruit available. Breakfast brought to you. A fridge (even if it no longer has wine in it). Practically a whole wall of floor to ceiling daylight. A door that opens onto your own private balcony with a table and seats. Use of the Commodore lounge and free coffee. Fresh air. And at night the sound of the sea to lull you to sleep …

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

18 hours ago, cvabishop said:

On a ferry the option between waiter service and self service available to all passengers is surely sufficient depending on how much you want to pay. An additional waiter service option available only to Commodore passengers would seem to be a little OTT.

Don't forget that when the PA first sailed we Commodore cabin passengers had our own exclusive area of La Flora restaurant set aside for us. Yes, the food was the same and they were the same waiters as the rest of the room but it made you feel that the huge amount of money paid for the cabin was reflected in the service in the restaurant.

So why not revert to that idea by installing an exclusive restaurant in the Commodore lounge? Given how much BF charge for Commodore cabins they obviously enjoy taking money from us. Why not arrange things so they can take even more?

Going back to the original discussion, as PA has almost twice as many cabins as her intended replacement perhaps they could stop selling the internal ones (out of season at least) and only use those on the outside. This would reduce the cleaning workload and move the offer upmarket. By letting people book meal packages they could also ensure there is less disappointment and manage the demand better 

Ed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

386 compared to Bretagne's 356.

I bet there'll be a lot more fake oak vinyl panel tiled flooring rather than carpet. P&O did it when they refitted their captain's suites and very nice it was too. Many of the Scandi ships have gone the same way.

Again another point well made Ed, it's the bits you don't see which seem to be ignored. Granted it's been over a year but there was a more rigorous approach aboard Normandie July 2020, hopefully this will continue. 

Normandie II will also see an increase plus a further 30 commodores.