Pont Avon La Flor

Susie

3 hours ago, IanN said:

Sorry for my ramblings I have pulled my back shoveling hardcore and can find little to do that doesn't hurt so the forum is passing time. Any mods please delete if not relevant

Eh Ian, you carry on mate. It's not rambling it's more of a diversion due to technical difficulties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmigoCirculo said:

No, I don't think they are. When you're built like a brick outhouse like I am the bathrooms are a real challenge. The beds are quite comfy though, but as I've not tried other cabins on the PA I'm not the one to make comparisons.

For us the real bonus is having the door open for the fresh air. As I think I've said before, Lady AC gets seasick looking at the Trent, but if she can lie down in comfort with fresh air coming in, she's fine. I'm prepared to pay the exorbitant cost for her comfort. No greater love hath any man.....

We like Cabin 6495 right at the back on deck 6 for this reason. Out of the Cabin and through the door and you are outside. Also noisy neighbours on one side only. Having said that I think we had the whole of that corridor to ourselves in June

6 minutes ago, IanN said:

That's not like you 😄 Just woke up from two hours on the bed back no.better

You need to get the inflammation down. I swear by Voltarol gel when I have a flare, 2.32% liberally slathered on the hot spots. Ask your GP for a script of Diclofenac or get the pink Cuprofen 400mg from your pharmacy. Take a max of 2 tabs 3x daily for a few days. Take a couple of  fizzy Solpadol too, they disperse faster than pills.

Something for the inflammation & something for the pain. Try and stay in one place as you don't want to start jangling your sciatic nerves... trust me, that's not fun at all.

This from a bloke who until 2 years ago could only walk 300 metres before being in agony, proper head spinning pain, and was told that if I refused medication I'd be in a wheelchair at 60 (I was 51 at the time) but is now on the highest dose allowed of self injecting Methotrexate which has been an absolute game changer. I can now do 4 mile walks around Fountains Abbey.

Ok I'm now severely immunosuppressed as it's a nasty cytotoxic drug also given as part of Chemotherapy and kills skin cells if you don't wipe any drip off your legs but hey, if I catch Covid again at least I can walk to A&E!

• Like 1

Taking Ed's ideas further ... Commodore Class exclusive clothing? Who has a tie design in mind. Cocktail dress? Can I blag my way in to the exclusive section of the restaurant in my kilt? Being important we want to be seen, not shut away in some other space.

Slightly more seriously... the real hook of Les Abers and la Flora ex Pompey is the feeling of unwind, relax, change time zone, language and culture. Priceless.

On 15/10/2021 at 17:39, Kerisnel said:

how about converting the underused Commodore Lounge i

Now that has got the little grey cells working. (Bad back & catch up Poirot) How about a Posh Kennel area. They could have monogramed blankets and baskets with named bowels.  Bones and biscuits provided. A steward for walkies and taking food orders from La Flora . TV screens showing the likes of "One Man and his dog or 101 Dalmatians. The terrace could be used for little emergencies They should be able to charge the same as for a commodore cabin or maybe a little more.

On 16/10/2021 at 18:34, colin said:

Can I blag my way in to the exclusive section of the restaurant in my kilt?

Only if it's green, orange and blue tartan plus you wear a white shirt with a single blue stripe across your chest.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jonno said:

Only if it's green, orange and blue tartan plus you wear a white shirt with a single blue stripe across your chest.

That sound like the makings of a Scottish/Irish flag , are we planning to unify !

On 16/10/2021 at 07:53, IanN said:

Even better seal the whole Commodore area off with access only from the car deck at the start and end of the crossing.

Brilliant idea. Keep out hoi poloi. Better still have the riffraff stay in their vehicles, like on the Tunnel. Then the whole of the ship could be upgraded to appeal to passengers  of wealth and influence...like me!

• Like 2

On 16/10/2021 at 18:34, colin said:

Taking Ed's ideas further ... Commodore Class exclusive clothing? Who has a tie design in mind. Cocktail dress? Can I blag my way in to the exclusive section of the restaurant in my kilt? Being important we want to be seen, not shut away in some other space.

Slightly more seriously... the real hook of Les Abers and la Flora ex Pompey is the feeling of unwind, relax, change time zone, language and culture. Priceless.

Dressing for diner...Yes, that sounds splendid. It would raise the tone considerably.

Totally agree with your 2nd point. A long overnight Commodore class crossing on the Pont has much to commend it. Pre-Covid there used to be such a sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff on a Thursday night. Early boarding too. Bliss! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenTownley said:

Dressing for diner...Yes, that sounds splendid. It would raise the tone considerably.

We travelled on the Rovos train from Cape Town to Pretoria a few years ago and one was expected to dress for dinner. It was a bit of a pain having to schlepp a jacket and tie round Africa, but it was actually great fun and enjoyed by all. It was a bit more upmarket than the PA Commodore lounge though.

9 hours ago, KenTownley said:

Brilliant idea. Keep out hoi poloi. Better still have the riffraff stay in their vehicles, like on the Tunnel. Then the whole of the ship could be upgraded to appeal to passengers  of wealth and influence...like me!

And priority boarding and launching of Commodore Class life rafts.

10 hours ago, KenTownley said:

As you may of guessed I was thinking of the opposite😏

Edited by IanN

Since my idea of a Commodore Class exclusive restaurant replacing the under-used Commodore Lounge has not been met with overwhelming approval (shame!) I now propose an alternative: convert the lounge into two Commodore Class Plus Suites. A fabulous amount of space for proper beds with the finest linen, a lounge with stunning views of the last of England, or Spain, or France, or Ireland and PA's turbulent wake, a bathroom of magnificent proportions with a walk-in shower of a size suitable for even the largest passenger and towels and toiletries of wonderful extravagance, and a dining area, again with great views, and silver-service room service. Each suite has its own exterior terrace, of course. The best of French interior design would also be required. The cost, a mere £2,000 a night. Unbeatable value.

• Like 3