UK Car Sticker

Malc

29 minutes ago, Malc said:

Just been advised that on and after 28 September in Spain I must have a 'UK' sticker on the back of my car and not the 'GB' one.  Anyone else heard about this? Do you think that BF will provide one?  Looks like https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers  applies.

I am certainly aware of it, but haven't found any yet (we''ll be in France when the rules change). I would be surprised if anyone gets too excited about it.

16 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

I am certainly aware of it, but haven't found any yet (we''ll be in France when the rules change). I would be surprised if anyone gets too excited about it.

If you have the usual plastic number plate with the EU logo on the LH side you can buy two overstickers on eBay for about £3 that covers each of the outdated suffixes. Simples!

42 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

If you have the usual plastic number plate with the EU logo on the LH side you can buy two overstickers on eBay for about £3 that covers each of the outdated suffixes. Simples!

Understood, but I have no desire to cover up the European flag!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tregastel said:

I was expecting more noise by now !

There are quite a few cheap stickers on EBay, but no magnetic ones. As I will be away over the switchover and have 2 magnetic GB plates, I bought a couple of UK stickers of the same size for just over £2 and stuck one of them on an GB plate. I now have one magnetic one of each !

However, I am sure that is overkill.

42 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I think somebody on here recently said that there has to be a UK sticker that is not on the number plate for Spain.

Yes, Spain and a few other Countries that we are unlikely to drive in will not accept number plate stickers for non EU countries and insist on the correct spec ones

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Presumably Blue Peter will soon be showing its viewers how to make their own using a washing liquid bottle, some double-sided tape and a permanent marker.

Ed

There are loads on ebay, I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184927770586 which is the correct legal size, however as mentioned I stuck it on one of my magnetic plates.

Edited by David Williams

I think the French police and gendarmes won't really bother. They can see the car is right hand drive and not irish. They already turn a blind eye to cymru and écosse stickers. 

I shall ask a friend who is an officer in the gendarmerie what are the directives given on this matter. 

Well they do tend to drive cautiously. I was stuck behind one a couple of days ago on the road through the vineyards that runs south of the Loire. I'm not sure if the lack of speed was due to the driver having visited every wine producer on that road that afternoon or the fact that his Toyota Corolla seemed to date from the last time Japan hosted the Olympics. Luckily he spotted a Quarts-de-Chaume producer and turned off to investigate.

Ed

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Apart from a small bit on the number plate how can one recognise an Irish Car ? 

The plates are white at the back of the car and with a totally different numbering system. You'd have to be a really lousy cop not to notice the difference. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well they do tend to drive cautiously. I was stuck behind one a couple of days ago on the road through the vineyards that runs south of the Loire. I'm not sure if the lack of speed was due to the driver having visited every wine producer on that road that afternoon or the fact that his Toyota Corolla seemed to date from the last time Japan hosted the Olympics. Luckily he spotted a Quarts-de-Chaume producer and turned off to investigate.

Ed

Maybe he was a priest looking for his next supply of communion wine... 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

I was expecting more noise by now !

There are quite a few cheap stickers on EBay, but no magnetic ones. As I will be away over the switchover and have 2 magnetic GB plates, I bought a couple of UK stickers of the same size for just over £2 and stuck one of them on an GB plate. I now have one magnetic one of each !

However, I am sure that is overkill.

Brilliant. Would not have thought of that. (I'm not sticking a sticker on my paintwork.)

UK car stickers at Amazon 

Changes to the use of the GB flag in Europe

Prior to Brexit, the British number plates featured a circle of EU stars with the letters ‘GB’ underneath it which could be used to travel and drive abroad as well.
On 31 January 2021, a year after Brexit, transport secretary Grant Shapps unveiled the redesigned number plates which displayed ‘GB’ for Great Britain under a Union flag on the left-hand side of the number plates to be able to drive in the continent. Shortly after, the UN announced another re-design - replacing the ‘GB’ designation which has been in use for the past 111-years, with the letters ‘UK’ - to include Northern Ireland. The new reg plates design comes in effect from 28 September onwards. The new ‘UK’ sticker or magnet can be easily purchased online, in post offices and in garages, or you could apply for new UK number plates to comply with the latest changes.

1 hour ago, Chef said:

You could get a bumper sticker to say you voted to remain ,maybe two of them, one in English and one in French.

A slippery slope, maybe we will need some stickers saying ‘I voted for Jeremy’ as well. The past is another place, we need to look forward.

• Haha 1

Actually it is a big deal, it is part of the incompetence of the Department of Transport. In January they launched new styling for number plates to include GB with a big fanfare, this change could have been planned as part of that.

At the end of June they wrote a letter to the UN announcing this change which is totally unnecessary with a short deadline, this was picked up by the AA who complained that they had thousands of the GB plates. This month they have quietly changed the guidelines for going to Europe. The mainstream shops including AA, RAC & Halfords are still selling GB plates only.

Only the small UK companies have produced these plates so far, there was not enough time for them to be made in bulk in China with the magnetic options etc.

I have bought a temporary sticker for this year to go on top of my magnetic sticker, however I will buy replacement AA magnetic ones when they come out.

Given the lack of publicity, I would guess that less than 1% of those abroad after 28 September are aware of the change.

Edited by David Williams

• Gareth locked this topic