UK Car Sticker

Malc

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

On or after 28 September 2021

You will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

·                         a GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the    Union Jack)

·                         a Euro symbol

·                         a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales

·                         numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

No big deal, have you got a preferred resprayer for when you remove them ?

Why would I remove them, I'll be in the U.K.? A bit of heat from a hair drier will remove an acrylic sticker easy enough. Only needed bit of heat & dental floss to remove the chrome GB letters which have been there that long I thought they'd be chemically bonded. Mind you I'll probably get bored with the vehicles before any U.K. sticker attached.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I don't like keeping them on in the UK as the white gets grubby, I use magnetic plates as they go on and off very easily and are very stable when in use.

Right so it's a personal choice then?

Personally I find they get grubby anyway regardless of which country I'm travelling in but come up nice & sparkly when I can be bothered to wash the cars or van. For me life's too short to worry about whether my car stickers are mucky or not.

Number plates with U.K. on them are readily available.

I'd also argue that les than 1% of those abroad are actually bothered until they return home. No one will stop anyone from travelling because their country vehicle sticker or plate isn't politically correct just at they don't stop U.K. drivers with headlights which require beam converters on older vehicles.

Anyone out there know that their halogen bulbs at home, in their vans & wobble boxes are now illegal and have been since Sept 1st? Florescent lighting will be illegal in 2023.  Might not seem important but I bet there's more owners of those than there are those currently worrying about whether they can travel abroad or not.

How's that one for a lack of publicity?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Williams said:

Get the clear plastic ones that attach to the inside of the rear window. A wipe with a damp cloth will give enough for them to attach. Mine has been on for 12 months

• Like 1

On the subject of plates, has anyone ever lost one, had one stolen or broken while overseas and tried to get a replacement? A lot of truck drivers have name plates in their cabs with UK style fonts and spacing so I was wondering if you could get replacement UK plates while in France, Spain etc. 

Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

On the subject of plates, has anyone ever lost one, had one stolen or broken while overseas and tried to get a replacement? A lot of truck drivers have name plates in their cabs with UK style fonts and spacing so I was wondering if you could get replacement UK plates while in France, Spain etc. 

Ed

Had a spanish plate done in spain, at a car spares shop,they just wanted to see the log book. Presumably they would do any plate upon showing the legal documentation. ps the spanish plates are slightly wider

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, David Williams said:

If you rub some petroleum jelly on to the paintwork before you apply the sticker, it should peel off easily, when required.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ARKWRIGHT said:

If you rub some petroleum jelly on to the paintwork before you apply the sticker, it should peel off easily, when required.

Or as you are driving along. Won't the jelly neutralise the adhesive?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IanN said:

Or as you are driving along. Won't the jelly neutralise the adhesive?

Not as long as you don't apply too much petroleum jelly. I read about this tip back in the early 90s and I never had any problems with the sticker peeling off, when driving. Alternatively, you place the sticker in the bottom left hand corner, of the rear screen.

14 minutes ago, ARKWRIGHT said:

Not as long as you don't apply too much petroleum jelly. I read about this tip back in the early 90s and I never had any problems with the sticker peeling off, when driving. Alternatively, you place the sticker in the bottom left hand corner, of the rear screen.

It just seemed counter intuitive to me but I guess it's similar to using a film one on the inside using water when I think about it. I would still avoid the car wash though

On 04/09/2021 at 05:00, Chef said:

You could get a bumper sticker to say you voted to remain ,maybe two of them, one in English and one in French.

Already got one (though not in French). It's important that those who brought us Brexit take all the credit (though they seem strangely reluctant, of late)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Just their sale, surely?

I hope so. I've still got a whole box of mixed bulbs which we found when clearing out a flat belonging to my wife's aunt after the latter died in 2018.

Ed

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Just their sale, surely?

I think so, mains voltage halogens have been banned from sale since 2018. Some suggest that it's cheaper to replace halogens for LEDS before they need to as the ongoing energy cost of a halogen is far greater than the price of a new LED.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think so, mains voltage halogens have been banned from sale since 2018. Some suggest that it's cheaper to replace halogens for LEDS before they need to as the ongoing energy cost of a halogen is far greater than the price of a new LED.

Definitely worth factoring in running costs.  I think we have a few halogens in the home, but in very rarely used positions.  

12 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

I think we have a few halogens in the home, but in very rarely used positions

Yes, there's clearly no need for sun lamps up in Yorkshire given how good the climate is there. 🤣

Ed

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, there's clearly no need for sun lamps up in Yorkshire given how good the climate is there. 🤣

Ed

Very true. In fact, switching the lights on at all (unless it's to pick rhubarb) is considered a bit of a southern extravagance

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Sitting here with the French doors open it's currently 22c... thinking of slathering on the beef dripping and getting out there in me trolleys and knotted hankie.

14 minutes ago, jonno said:

Sitting here with the French doors open it's currently 22c... thinking of slathering on the beef dripping and getting out there in me trolleys and knotted hankie.

It's 33 here today. I think that makes it the hottest day of the year so far. And it's September. Weird!

Ed

1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

'Ark at 'im. "Beef dripping"! Fancy.  

It's sheep dung or peat bog over here at the Lancashire Frontier.  

Luxury stuff is that!

Pete dung or sheep bog here.

• Haha 1

Risking a minor topic deviation ... a friend of mine near Lille has about 1.5 million Euros worth of old "lampes". Valves or tubes as they are better known, including a stock that were used in the Home Chain radars in 1940, helping win the battle of Britain. Even then technology moved fast, and higher performance valves arrived making these redundant. Valve stereo and microphone buffs scour the planet for original NOS (new old stock) valves. I helped him with translation of literature and arranging reviews from UK music press back when he briefly manufactured and marketed pre-amps and power amps. I have one of his systems which is worth an Emperor's ransom.

Probably banned from use ...?

• Like 1

• Gareth locked this topic