UK Car Sticker

Malc

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Sitting here with the French doors open it's currently 22c... thinking of slathering on the beef dripping and getting out there in me trolleys and knotted hankie.

Perhaps we should have a competition for how far from a thread title we can stray !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, colin said:

I have one of his systems which is worth an Emperor's ransom.

Probably banned from use ...?

So it's your fault that our lights go dim from time to time! 😂

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

Perhaps we should have a competition for how far from a thread title we can stray !

We use Ryanair diversions as the benchmark these days.

Ed

2 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

'Ark at 'im. "Beef dripping"! Fancy.  

It's sheep dung or peat bog over here at the Lancashire Frontier.  

1 hour ago, Rik762 said:

Luxury stuff is that!

Pete dung or sheep bog here.

As me old dad use to say. don't be shy... if you've got it, get it out!

29 minutes ago, colin said:

Risking a minor topic deviation ... a friend of mine near Lille has about 1.5 million Euros worth of old "lampes". Valves or tubes as they are better known, including a stock that were used in the Home Chain radars in 1940, helping win the battle of Britain. Even then technology moved fast, and higher performance valves arrived making these redundant. Valve stereo and microphone buffs scour the planet for original NOS (new old stock) valves. I helped him with translation of literature and arranging reviews from UK music press back when he briefly manufactured and marketed pre-amps and power amps. I have one of his systems which is worth an Emperor's ransom.

Probably banned from use ...?

If it's got the carbon footprint of a yeti, then sadly yes.

They're trying to push through legislation limiting generator use at fairgrounds too. You can't beat the heady scent of diesel, doughnuts, candyfloss & hotdogs sitting on the dodgems with Van Halen bursting yer lug 'oles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My stereo does run at 12,000 volts, and has lovely warm colours in the valves. Needs a few minutes to warm up, like a nuclear power station... Keiber totem regulated. KTR. Audio signal only goes through the valves, no transistors or other silicon stuff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jonno said:

If it's got the carbon footprint of a yeti, then sadly yes.

They're trying to push through legislation limiting generator use at fairgrounds too. You can't beat the heady scent of diesel, doughnuts, candyfloss & hotdogs sitting on the dodgems with Van Halen bursting yer lug 'oles.

"Scream if you want to go faster!"

That could describe a post by @IanN about the E Flexer service to Spain!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, colin said:

My stereo does run at 12,000 volts, and has lovely warm colours in the valves. Needs a few minutes to warm up, like a nuclear power station... Keiber totem regulated. KTR. Audio signal only goes through the valves, no transistors or other silicon stuff.

MY mum has a radiogram the size of a sideboard my grandad give her as a wedding present, still works and gives off more heat than her back room radiator. Nice bit of furniture.

There's a bloke with a shop on West Derby Road in Liverpool which is an Aladdin's cave of weird and wonderful radio/wireless/TV stuff dating back to '50's, he continued to run it after he dad died. The place is always full of enthusiasts searching for an elusive part.

I could spend hours in there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jonno said:

MY mum has a radiogram the size of a sideboard my grandad give her as a wedding present, still works and gives off more heat than her back room radiator. Nice bit of furniture.

There's a bloke with a shop on West Derby Road in Liverpool which is an Aladdin's cave of weird and wonderful radio/wireless/TV stuff dating back to '50's, he continued to run it after he dad died. The place is always full of enthusiasts searching for an elusive part.

I could spend hours in there.

Not many radiators display the old radio stations such as Hilversum etc!f1950s_GRUNDIG_MAJESTIC_HIFI_CONSOLE__700_5a1e62b60c893.jpg.a9dc48f7627fd7848773e030f2aeb68d.jpg

• Like 2

I can't imagine the gendarmerie will be paying much attention. I've been proudly displaying an EU flag at one end of my number plate, and a "Departement" number at the other for years. Seems to generate some genuine curiosity and interest from the locals.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The problem was that "GB" refers to "Great Britain", which is the collective term for England, Scotland and Wales. It doesn't include Northern Ireland. 

"UK" is an internationally recognised abbreviation for the "United Kingdom", which includes Northern Ireland, as well as England, Scotland and Wales. 

With a view to inclusivity for Northern Ireland within the Union, earlier this year, the Government told the United Nations that "GB" was to be replaced with "UK". 

7 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

With a view to inclusivity for Northern Ireland within the Union, earlier this year, the Government told the United Nations that "GB" was to be replaced with "UK". 

They should have done it 9 months earlier so it could have started on the 1st January which was when Grant Shapps was telling everyone to replace the GB and stars with GB and a flag in the number plate. 

I am in France at the moment and replaced my GB magnetic sticker with a UK one.

33 minutes ago, David Williams said:

They should have done it 9 months earlier so it could have started on the 1st January which was when Grant Shapps was telling everyone to replace the GB and stars with GB and a flag in the number plate. 

I am in France at the moment and replaced my GB magnetic sticker with a UK one.

Isn't this the same Grant Shapps who said Foreign travel was not for Holidays and then went on holiday abroad. What ever he tells you to do I would wait until he changes his mind

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Saw very few UK cars in Brittany in the month we were there. Did see 2 vans with the new UK sticker which looked especially ugly. From a typography point of view the letters don't work easily. But if it keeps the Ukrainians happy........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IanN said:

Isn't this the same Grant Shapps who said Foreign travel was not for Holidays and then went on holiday abroad. What ever he tells you to do I would wait until he changes his mind

He likes changing his mind over things like names,  after all, he went round for long enough calling himself Michael Green....

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ZinedineBiscan said:

He likes changing his mind over things like names,  after all, he went round for long enough calling himself Michael Green....

Maybe he wasn't very good with the financial details as his name is an anagram of 'Pants Graphs'. 

Of course when named Tory party chairman he couldn't stay as Michael Green as that's as anagram of 'a generic helm' among many other amusing options.

Ed

Ah, Manxscorpio, the very person.   Buzzbee, being a bit of a nerd, is curious as follows:

1) Do cars registered on the Isle of Man use stickers similar to "GB" / "UK" whilst in continental Europe?
2) Wikipedia suggests that such cars might have "GBM" stickers, is this true?
3) If true, does the Isle of Man government have any plans to change the letters following the GB -> UK change?

I had the same problem at one point and oddly enough it seemed to be related to whether I signed in using the link on the banner at the top of the page or via the blue button at the bottom.

• Gareth locked this topic