UK Car Sticker

Malc

Yes, something's wrong.  I had replied to Adicat's post yesterday.  Then Adicat's post disappeared.  And so did the part of the post that I had quoted.  Also, Manxscorpio's post from yesterday has disappeared. 

Edited by Buzzbee
corrected spelling

20 hours ago, Buzzbee said:

Ah, Manxscorpio, the very person.   Buzzbee, being a bit of a nerd, is curious as follows:

1) Do cars registered on the Isle of Man use stickers similar to "GB" / "UK" whilst in continental Europe?
2) Wikipedia suggests that such cars might have "GBM" stickers, is this true?
3) If true, does the Isle of Man government have any plans to change the letters following the GB -> UK change?

A good question. And what about the Channel Islands codes GBA, GBG & GBJ, and Gibraltar (GBZ if I recall correctly)?

Let's see if it stays.

Guess government realised we are not "Great" anymore so now UK.

However, with all the independence agendas we may just end up being just E. That's been had, so we would then need LB. "Little Britain" 

Edited by adicat
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What did people from Northern Ireland use before today?

Ed

They used GB but it has never been required south of the border in Ireland and neither is the new UK sticker, apparently Arlene Foster of the DUP campaigned to Westminster for the change.

Edited by Chef
  • Thanks 1

On 30/09/2021 at 17:56, Buzzbee said:

Ah, Manxscorpio, the very person.   Buzzbee, being a bit of a nerd, is curious as follows:

1) Do cars registered on the Isle of Man use stickers similar to "GB" / "UK" whilst in continental Europe?
2) Wikipedia suggests that such cars might have "GBM" stickers, is this true?
3) If true, does the Isle of Man government have any plans to change the letters following the GB -> UK change?

Thought I replied to this but seems to have disappeared - Isle of Man has GBM stickers or is shown on the licence plate. This will not be changed as IOM is not part of UK.

38 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But is it part of GB?

Ed

No. It's a self governing British Crown Dependency, like the channel islands, and has it's own laws, parliament etc. 

It is however part of the British Isles, which is a purely geographical term. 

Otherwise it's as @Buzzbee & @Manxscorpio said.

Travellers from England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland, let us know if you get denied boarding or get stopped by EU border control for not displaying the correct number plate identifier or sticker. Before all this, did anyone get 'done' for not displaying the GB sticker when you didn't have a number plate identifier? Over many years I think I've seen as many vehicles queueing for the ferry with plain plates and no sticker as I've seen those with legal EU/GB plates but a superfluous GB sticker ruining the paintwork on their BMW!

Edited by Mitchell32
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mitchell32 said:

No. It's a self governing British Crown Dependency, like the channel islands, and has it's own laws, parliament etc. 

It is however part of the British Isles, which is a purely geographical term. 

As I thought. So, I wonder why they don't use IOM and Jersey doesn't use JER ang Guernsey GER or similar. Unless those are taken. 

If the British Isles is easier they could all use BIM, BIJ or BIG (oh!).

Ed

22 minutes ago, GFB said:

Yep, when the government realise we aren't united either, we will have W Wales or C Cymru S Scotland A Alba NI Northern Island and E England

So my British Isles idea (BI...) isn't bad. 

Just stick one more letter on the end of the two-letter preface.

Wales - BIW or BIC (perhaps better kept for Cornwall when they get independence)

Scotland - BIS or BIA (I think Alderney might want this)

England - BIE 

Northern Ireland - BIN 

Ed

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

As I thought. So, I wonder why they don't use IOM and Jersey doesn't use JER ang Guernsey GER or similar. Unless those are taken. 

If the British Isles is easier they could all use BIM, BIJ or BIG (oh!).

Ed

That would definately cause confusion in Europe !!

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Northern Ireland - BIN 

But Northern Ireland is not in Britain and the island of Ireland was never in or part of Britain and hence never in the British Isles .

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

But Northern Ireland is not in Britain and the island of Ireland was never in or part of Britain and hence never in the British Isles .

Ireland is in the British Isles according to all the definitions I can find. It's just one part of the whole and each can have a separate identity and adhere to any sub-group as they wish - Great Britain, Channel Islands etc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/british-isles&ved=2ahUKEwjFv6SUhKzzAhUJtRoKHeepCQAQFnoECDgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1JPo20KAdeWL5agy75DBzp

Ed

On a slight aside, certain country car number plates identify them as you get use to their layout. I was wondering how Guernsey managed to bag just numbers. Also they can have different colours for background. Silver letters on black. Hire cars have to have H on yellow background so other road users are aware that this driver may not know the little differences of road rules in Guernsey. 

1 hour ago, BBCone said:

Wales - BIW or BIC (perhaps better kept for Cornwall when they get independence)

Cornwall would probably prefer 'K' for 'Kernow.'

The problem is that nobody knows where that is. You need codes which reflect the recognised name for the country.

Finland would probably prefer S for Suomi but that conflicts with their western neighbour so have accepted FIN instead. They couldn't have F as that would have caused an international incident with the one country not known for its rational reactions! 🤣

So, unless you wish to rebrand all your Kernow Pasties and Kernow Cream Teas, I think simplicity is better.

Ed

1 hour ago, adicat said:

On a slight aside, certain country car number plates identify them as you get use to their layout. I was wondering how Guernsey managed to bag just numbers. Also they can have different colours for background. Silver letters on black. Hire cars have to have H on yellow background so other road users are aware that this driver may not know the little differences of road rules in Guernsey. 

As they are neither in the UK nor the EU they can do what they like, I suppose.

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ireland is in the British Isles according to all the definitions I can find. It's just one part of the whole and each can have a separate identity and adhere to any sub-group as they wish - Great Britain, Channel Islands etc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/british-isles&ved=2ahUKEwjFv6SUhKzzAhUJtRoKHeepCQAQFnoECDgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1JPo20KAdeWL5agy75DBzp

Ed

That page is missing from all dictionaries in Ireland , down with that sort of thing now Father Dougal .

Edited by Chef

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

That page is missing from all dictionaries in Ireland .

It all depends whether you look at it from a political or geographical (and therefore metrological) point of view and are able to separate the two.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thejournal.ie/is-ireland-british-isles-northern-ireland-europe-islands-1140112-Oct2013/%3Famp%3D1&ved=2ahUKEwiq2bHEnqzzAhU6AWMBHeB7B1YQFnoECFwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw05biW2d3sef4uY39fEBP3c&ampcf=1

Forecasts on French TV always refer to 'les Iles Britaniques' meaning the general area. 

As far as number plates are concerned, is the aim to let the police know the nationality of the driver (not logical as I'm British but drive a French car), the driving experience of the driver on a specific side of the road (again, I learnt to drive in England, honed my skill in Wales and am doing my best to teach the French how to use roundabouts) or for another purpose?

Ed

• Gareth locked this topic