UK Car Sticker

Malc

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I would assume the blue GB stickers with the EU stars became illegal last January and needed to be changed anyway so it was the opportunity to make a more significant change.

Ed

The "stars" are not exclusive to the EU - it is also the flag of the Council of Europe - an organisation to which the UK still belongs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

The "stars" are not exclusive to the EU - it is also the flag of the Council of Europe - an organisation to which the UK still belongs.

Shhhhh you will set the Brexiteers off.....

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

Yes, but membership of the Council of Europe does not entitle you, or oblige you, to include the stars and blue background on your registration plates. Membership of the EU, on the other hand, does stipulate this.

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I would assume the blue GB stickers with the EU stars became illegal last January and needed to be changed anyway so it was the opportunity to make a more significant change.

Ed

They did change it to GB with no stars but an allowed flag in January, the disappointing thing is that they changed it again 9 Months later.

On the ferry from France today roughly half who bothered to have any sticker had UK stickers

15 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Gosh, this sticker stuff is getting really exciting... 🤪

The real excitement started when I peeled off the old GB sticker......ecstasy doesn't describe the feeling 🤫. Oh and then I woke up.

Edited by merc

12 minutes ago, merc said:

The real excitement started when I peeled off the old GB sticker......ecstasy doesn't describe the feeling 🤫. Oh and then I woke up.

Thank you for your helpful comment, it reminded me to remove the one from the car after yesterday's journey.

Mind you, it is magnetic so may not have given you as much pleasure.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Penlan said:

Shhhhh you will set the Brexiteers off.....

Some of us are fully aware that we're a member of the Council of Europe thankyou but I agree most brexiteers and remainers probably wouldn't know what it was about if landed on their heads and wouldn't even know that Russia is also a member so too are Azerbaijan, Norway & Turkey.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, David Williams said:

They did change it to GB with no stars but an allowed flag in January, the disappointing thing is that they changed it again 9 Months later.

On the ferry from France today roughly half who bothered to have any sticker had UK stickers

Why is it disappointing? it's just a sodding sticker, I couldn't care less what type of sticker this or any other country use.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonno said:

Why is it disappointing? it's just a sodding sticker, I couldn't care less what type of sticker this or any other country use.

The disappointing thing is that the DOT changed the rules twice in a year and each change costs money. It shows a lack of forward planning. One change was needed due to Brexit, the second could have been done at the same time.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

The disappointing thing is that the DOT changed the rules twice in a year and each change costs money.

Don't get were the 2nd change comes in, we've been using the GB sticker since the UN forced us to in 1949?

It's been changed to include Northern Ireland... what's wrong with that? It'll have absolutely no effect on any ones experience travelling in mainland Europe.

A new magnetic U.K. badge costs £1.20 and will last for years. I had to remove the chrome GB form the back of my car... so what? I probably needed the exercise anyway.

I think it's time to get over it and move on as I'm sure there'll be something else along shortly to jangle the hypersensitivities of a few to waste 6 pages of the forum on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jonno said:

Don't get were the 2nd change comes in, we've been using the GB sticker since the UN forced us to in 1949?

It's been changed to include Northern Ireland... what's wrong with that? It'll have absolutely no effect on any ones experience travelling in mainland Europe.

A new magnetic U.K. badge costs £1.20 and will last for years. I had to remove the chrome GB form the back of my car... so what? I probably needed the exercise anyway.

I think it's time to get over it and move on as I'm sure there'll be something else along shortly to jangle the hypersensitivities of a few to waste 6 pages of the forum on.

If you can't be bothered to get one, just print an adhesive message stating:

My other car is a UK-badged Porsche 

Ed

13 hours ago, jonno said:

Don't get were the 2nd change comes in,

First change: Euro GB on your actual plate no longer acceptable - must have GB sticker / badge

Second change: GB changes to UK

Third change: UK changes to E&W*

*not for at least 5 years

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jonno said:

Though it is relevant to the forum and very indicative of so much more of Government "policy". I believe viewing and commenting is still optional though

• Like 3

• Gareth locked this topic