Club Voyage Membership

Pugh

How do you renew your club voyage membership?

On the Brittany Ferries website the FAQ's section asks that very question. Unfortunately it does not answer it. The answer given tells you that you cannot renew online - fine; but it does not tell you how you do renew it!

I tried the 0330 telephone number but, like most things these days, it was like trying to wake the dead.

Has anybody got any ideas?

2 hours ago, Pugh said:

On the Brittany Ferries website the FAQ's section asks that very question. Unfortunately it does not answer it. The answer given tells you that you cannot renew online - fine; but it does not tell you how you do renew it!

I tried the 0330 telephone number but, like most things these days, it was like trying to wake the dead.

When you login, does it not give you the option to do so? 

I've never had CV so don't know how it actually works.

Ed

2 hours ago, Pugh said:

As long as it is active you should be able to renew online, however everyone should now have an expiry date of the end of November or later which should have a renewal invite at the start of November. If you don’t then complain, if your membership has been inactive for more than 3 months it is a new membership not a renewal.

However there seems to be a bug in that crossings that are substantially later than the renewal date are not getting the discount, in the past discount has been applied with the warning that if not renewed you pay more.

So either they are about to make substantial changes to the scheme or yet another bug exists in the new website.  A useful question to ask ! The first approach should be why am I not getting a discount for future bookings !

• 2 weeks later...

I called in to the, now open, Reception at Plymouth on Friday 17th prior to our first trip to Chez Breton since October 2020 in order to get some euros at the CV rate of plus €0.02, only to be told that the Bureau de Change facility was no longer available. I’ve just checked the "new" website on my return to find the following conflicting info in two different places via the Menu.

Club Voyage – The Club for anyone travelling with perks

Preferential exchange rate options:

Receive an extra €0.02 on top of the advertised Euro exchange rate at our Bureau de Change desks in Plymouth and Poole, Also available with 'ring and reserve' service for collection at all of our ports.

Foreign Exchange:

We are sorry but we no longer offer a foreign exchange service. We have closed our bureaux de change in Poole and Plymouth and no longer offer our call and reserve.

This is an unadvised erosion of the CV benefits. I wonder how many others will be slipped in, post the now “magic” 30tht November 2021 expiry date that most of us now have

Colin, there’s an ATM on board Pont Aven dispensing euros at a poor rate of exchange. We ourselves would simply pay on board ship in sterling and then put the best bank card we have into an ATM  Roscoff town. But we only use euros for coffees and bars and spend everything else in France on a no fee card.

1 minute ago, BobCrox said:

I assume everyone here is a regular traveller. Why not avoid the faff and get a French bank account?

Most French accounts (except those for students) come with fees for services such as cards etc which might prove expensive. Some of the online accounts might now offer better deals but without a permanent address access to those accounts may be impossible.

Ed

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:
5 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Most French accounts (except those for students) come with fees for services such as cards etc which might prove expensive. Some of the online accounts might now offer better deals but without a permanent address access to those accounts may be impossible.

Try CA's Britline. The charges aren't that high if you factor in being canny about when you transfer into it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

I assume everyone here is a regular traveller. Why not avoid the faff and get a French bank account?

My French bank account costs €12 a year and plastic would cost a lot more, it is cheaper to get a UK bank account that doesn’t charge for European access. 
Metro does free European cash withdrawals, however my favourite is Starling which gives free Worldwide withdrawals and has a Euro account if you want to buy Euros on a given day.

As has been mentioned before, the Halifax Clarity Credit Card is free worldwide access. I have been in France a week and used the credit card for virtually everything, the contactless limit is €50

25 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Try CA's Britline. The charges aren't that high if you factor in being canny about when you transfer into it.

But how do you get the money out ?

and the cheapest to get it in is 0.4 %

I use Britline for French Direct Debits

Edited by David Williams

3 hours ago, BobCrox said:

My eldest moved to France last week for an academic year working in a school as an English language assistant. A French bank account is necessary for wages to be paid and at every stage of the process, the difficulty of opening a bank account in France was highlighted. Fortunately the supervisor in the school has a contact in a local bank and has been through this process over many years with many students so is going to help.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

My eldest moved to France last week for an academic year working in a school as an English language assistant. A French bank account is necessary for wages to be paid and at every stage of the process, the difficulty of opening a bank account in France was highlighted. Fortunately the supervisor in the school has a contact in a local bank and has been through this process over many years with many students so is going to help.

Crédit Agricole or Caisse d'Epargne would be my guesses.

Ed

29 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

A French bank account is necessary for wages to be paid and at every stage of the process, the difficulty of opening a bank account in France was highlighted

Yes, at this stage it is better to rely on a local contact, however it should be possible to pay into a UK account as we are still in the SEPA system, a good euro account which can be opened together with a sterling account is https://www.starlingbank.com/current-account/euro-bank-account/

An account that can be opened by post is the CA Britline one, however it is probably too late for that and as CA is regional, better to open a local one.

Edited by David Williams

19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

An account that can be opened by post is the CA Britline one, however it is probably too late for that and as CA is regional, better to open a local one.

Actually Britline application is online now, https://www.britline.com/create-account.html, however it is probably too late now.

Britline is part of CA Normandie, it was originally CA Calvados. 

Edited by David Williams

Not only is ATM onboard PA offering a poor rate of exchange but generally all prices are poor value, e.g. breakfast in La Flora is €18.75 or £15. 
Britline charges €1 per month but annual fee for a debit card is expensive (without checking I think it's €50

Consider something like a Revolut account. Makes having multiple foreign currency accounts much easier. Their exchange rates are good, only issue is you can only use ATM's for up to €200 per month. No limit on card transactions. Also great for using disposable cards for online shopping.

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Not only is ATM onboard PA offering a poor rate of exchange but generally all prices are poor value, e.g. breakfast in La Flora is €18.75 or £15. 
Britline charges €1 per month but annual fee for a debit card is expensive (without checking I think it's €50

Skip La Flora get a meal deal saving covers all holiday transaction costs?

In France, as in UK, the situation for students and temporary workers is a vicious circle. Bank account needed to rent property, and property rental contract (or ownership) required to open bank account. As Elaine's son has found, educational establishments who regularly have students from abroad very often know someone at a local bank who can ease the process. Our addresses in both countries have been used many times to help in such circumstances, along with letter from us.

• Like 1

When I did my Erasmus year in Arras I opened an account with CA as it was the 'recommended option'. I closed it three months later and switched to BNP after a Finnish girl told me they were better and more flexible. I kept the account open when I returned to the UK just in case I needed it again and then when I came back to Angers one year later for work it was a doddle to switch branches. 

Ed

29 minutes ago, colin said:

and property rental contract (or ownership) required to open bank account.

That is why CA Britline is so useful as a French account can be opened using just UK paperwork and the staff are really friendly and helpful. My bank account and cheque book all show my UK address, I used the cheque book a couple of months ago to pay a plumber !

However, now SEPA has been brought in, it should be possible to operate most transactions using a UK based Euro account.

We had an account with Bank Populaire for 20 years but never succeeded in getting a debit card. We had the most useless account manager in the whole of France. She thought that Google translate worked despite us explaining many times it would be easier to communicate in French. CA has been a breath if fresh air.

• Like 1