Cork-Roscoff-Cork : 28/8 & 10/9 on Pont Aven

We hadn't sailed out of Ringaskiddy to France since May 2013. The main reason being that in recent years we usually holiday no more than a couple of hours drive from Roscoff so the early morning arrival there isn't much benefit to us. I’d much prefer an other few hours lie in 😁and a later arrival in France. Because of this our preferred route had been out of Rosslare with IF and back to Cork with BF but with the end of both BFs and IFs Roscoff services and not fancying the long drive from Cherbourg we decided to book both legs with BF.

We checked in at Ringaskiddy just before 2 for our 4pm sailing. Our Covid vaccine certs were examined as were the French sworn statements. We were directed to deck 4 and were in our deluxe cabin on deck 8 by 2.50pm. Loading was still going on at 4 so it was almost 430 before we sailed. Although the sailing seemed to be busy the fact that people were boarding over a long period of time meant that that the stairs and lift were never crowded. The shops and restaurants were busy and the swimming pool was open.

As I said we hadn't sailed out of Cork since 2013 and had forgotten what a joy it is to sail through Cork harbour on a sunny afternoon. We spent a lot of time on the outside decks as did many other passengers enjoying the views and the sunshine.

We were booked for the early sitting in La Flora and enjoyed a very good relaxed 3 course meal. As I mentioned in another thread the main course of lamb was excellent It worked out at approx €35 a head and I think is good value. Especially as a similar meal on IF WB Yeats would cost nearer to €60 each.

It was a beautiful night and the sea was very calm. So calm in fact my other half asked a couple of times if we were moving at all.😁

We arrived in Roscoff on time just before 7am and were off by 7.25am . The queue for immigration was long but moved quickly. The officer who dealt with us scrutinised our passports closely but barely gave our COVID certs and sworn statements a glance.

We were delighted to get away and we had a great couple of weeks. First week in Camerat and second week on the coast near Plouescat. Warm and sunny almost every day with temperatures 23/24c. Mask were worn in shops and at the couple of markets we attended. Covid vacine cert was required for all bars and restaurants both inside and outside.

Friday 10th September came around all too quickly and we headed to Roscoff for a last quick look around. We caught sight of Pont Aven arriving from Plymouth just after 7.30pm. At check in our Covid certs and our Irish Locator form receipts were examined. There was a big queue and a long wait for boarding. I’d say about 2/3 of vehicles were Irish with the balance made up of other European countries. The bulk of them French registered obviously. Spotted a few GB regs as well.

Boarding started at 9.15pm and we were on Deck 4 board at 9.40pm Up to our outside cabin midships on Deck 6. My other half had a quick look around the shop but i hit the sack straight away and nodded off shortly after the on time departure at 10.15pm.

We arrived in an overcast Cork harbour early Saturday and were alongside a few minutes before 10am. We were off about 10.20am and after quick passport check, no checking of certs or locator forms we were on the road home.

All in all an excellent holiday.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ccs147
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

What was customs like in Cork. We came back Cherbourg to Dublin last week and got a right grilling from customs even though we were below the 90L "guidelines". It was never like this in Rosslare. Giving serious consideration to Cork-Roscoff for next year. Thanks

On 20/09/2021 at 13:08, Marsav68 said:

What was customs like in Cork. We came back Cherbourg to Dublin last week and got a right grilling from customs even though we were below the 90L "guidelines". It was never like this in Rosslare. Giving serious consideration to Cork-Roscoff for next year. Thanks

The customs lady asked if we had any wine? I answered a couple of dozen.  She then asked "Bottles or boxes?"  I replied bottles and she waved us on!

• Like 1

On our return from Spain the queue to book La Flora started at about 3 pm The BF Staff arrived at about 5 pm to take bookings. There were about 20 people who stood and waited the whole time. At 7:30 we wandered past there were plenty of spaces and I think you could have just walked straight in

We came back to Cork last weekend and there we two queues for customs. The lady customs person stopped the odd vehicle but waved many through. We were stuck in slower stream where customs bloke was questioning every car. Luckily he wandered off to get one car & trailer to the inspection bay and told queue to wait. However as queue back up to immigration their officer walked up and waved us all on.

In a previous year, with a car and trailer, the conversation with customs went like this:-

“Where have you been?” “France” “Any wine?” “Yes but we're not over our limit” “What's the limit?” “90 litres” “Good man. Off you go”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

We came back to Cork last weekend and there we two queues for customs. The lady customs person stopped the odd vehicle but waved many through. We were stuck in slower stream where customs bloke was questioning every car. Luckily he wandered off to get one car & trailer to the inspection bay and told queue to wait. However as queue back up to immigration their officer walked up and waved us all on.

In a previous year, with a car and trailer, the conversation with customs went like this:-

“Where have you been?” “France” “Any wine?” “Yes but we're not over our limit” “What's the limit?” “90 litres” “Good man. Off you go”

A few of us used to take a van via Rosslare on the last Friday sailing each season. 75% of the people on boat were back on it on the Saturday. Rosslare customs just waved vast majority through. It just annoys me as it is a 90L guideline and not a limit.. We've 7 in the house and all wine drinkers. 90L doesn't go far. 🙂
I think we will do Cork Roscoff next year. It will be lovely to get back to Roscoff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IanN said:

On our return from Spain the queue to book La Flora started at about 3 pm The BF Staff arrived at about 5 pm to take bookings. There were about 20 people who stood and waited the whole time. At 7:30 we wandered past there were plenty of spaces and I think you could have just walked straight in

Similar experience. The Commodore staff still make a booking for you and said it was just one sitting at, I think, 6.15pm, but folk were wandering in as we were finishing at about 8pm. A bit later there was a tannoy announcement asking those who had booked and not yet turned up to go the the restaurant.

Obviously I am getting old.

Only bought back one bottle this time and that was for the daughter in law. In times past every nook & cranny in the car would be filled with bottles of Rioja. Even used to take tea towels to stop them clinking as we drove a long

Of course for France to UK it is only 18 litres of still wine per person, although you can add the 9 litres of other alcoholic drinks under 22%  in lieu of the spirits allowance. Spirits in Frace tend to be cheaper in ASDA, although 2 bottles of Bombay Saphire for £29 on the boat was a good deal.

6 hours ago, IanN said:

every nook & cranny in the car would be filled with bottles of Rioja. Even used to take tea towels to stop them clinking as we drove a long

Reminds me of the time I was offered a barrel of Marquis de Riscal at about £1 per litre in 1980. It was a vintage harvest and they were desperate for money for storage. Unfortunately I was flat broke at the time.

• Like 1