Pont Aven Friday 8/10 from Plymouth to Roscoff

muppetdodger

Travelling on this crossing on Friday, just got a few questions for those in the know.

Is the A La Carte restaurant open or not - some places it says yes, others no. Not very clear.

We have booked the Commodore cabin, is the commodore lounge functioning as normal or is that another casualty?

We're bringing two small dogs, which have to stay on the car deck I believe, if we visit them are we allowed to stretch their legs for five minutes in the car deck or do we just say hello and leave them in the car? If the latter it might be better to leave them be or the five hours may take it's toll. Kennels would have been good but I gather they arent open on short crossings. As we have pets, do we get put in a specific part of the car deck so all pets are in one section for ease of visiting?

Gonna be an interesting trip, looking forward to see how things have changed from the summer.

Any help much appreciated

On 06/10/2021 at 11:11, muppetdodger said:

Is the A La Carte restaurant open or not - some places it says yes, others no. Not very clear.

It seemed to depend on whether the crew had sufficient rest from the Spanish run.

• Shocked 1

We have booked the Commodore cabin, is the commodore lounge functioning as normal or is that another casualty?

It was working to Spain, however normal just means a nespresso machine and free wifi.

As we have pets, do we get put in a specific part of the car deck so all pets are in one section for ease of visiting?

In theory cars with pets get put somewhere with decent ventilation.

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Particularly as Bob's post yesterday (It seemed to depend on whether the crew had sufficient rest from the Spanish run.) sounds like a euphemism for 'can't be arsed'.

Ed

Don't you mean no se puede molestar?

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Don't you mean no se puede molestar?

I think that is a bit unfair. The crew can only cook what has been loaded.

I once came back from Santander on a very late boat. We got to eat the food intended for the passengers waiting in Plymouth. Having waited over 12 hours for their boat to Roscoff I guess the crew had no way of feeding them.

9 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

I once came back from Santander on a very late boat. We got to eat the food intended for the passengers waiting in Plymouth. Having waited over 12 hours for their boat to Roscoff I guess the crew had no way of feeding them.

Yeah Bob I know, me and Ed are just having a bit of fun... The kitchen staff begin prepping for the return trip before they dock as they already know how many passengers to expect.

49 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

It's true that such a situation is difficult to manage but in the circumstances you describe above, and assuming the trip itself didn't take longer than expected, then there should have been plenty of food onboard. There should also be two crew shifts, rotating as normal, meaning that none of them should need extra rest periods particularly as the changeover is in Roscoff the next day.

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

It's true that such a situation is difficult to manage but in the circumstances you describe above, and assuming the trip itself didn't take longer than expected, then there should have been plenty of food onboard. There should also be two crew shifts, rotating as normal, meaning that none of them should need extra rest periods particularly as the changeover is in Roscoff the next day.

Ed

The freezers would have plenty in them and if a little short they could raid the self service

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

There's always the survival packs in the life rafts to fall back on , they even contain a fishing line but no Branston pickle i'm afraid .

I've got a French army ration pack here that I was given by one of my groups. I think most of the dishes are past their sell-by-dates but I'm sure they are still fine. The only question is where on board I can light the chemical stove without attracting attention.

Ed

20211008_203246.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back on topic, haha, we had a fabulous crossing both ways. Going out on 8th the dog cars were all in one place on level 3 with loss of room behind them. When we returned just before arriving in roscoff we had a sneaky walk with them on the car deck. The ferry was great, not too busy, lovely commodore cabin, watched dolphins from the balcony as we approached roscoff but la flora wasn’t open. Otherwise lovely quiet and smooth crossing with the obligatory prawns in the self service restaurant. 

Coming back commodore was great again, we had a superb breakfast in la flora which was very nice, dogs were fine on 3 again and as with the outward leg (which left an hour late) we arrived bang on time. Great trip all round. Thankyou to BF and PA for a great relaxing trip. 

My only query relates to the doggie cars. Boarding tended to be last which makes sense but disembarking was also last which merely prolonged the time cooped up in the car. Seemed a bit odd that they don’t get the pets off first for welfare reasons. 

Best but was watching the muppets at Plymouth who whilst waiting in line for passport control thought it would be good to jump out of their line and tag on the back of a line that was being moved. Bloody funny seeing the cone put in front of them and them going effectively to the back of the  queue. Why can’t people just wait their turn. 

Also good not to have any problems with pet papers and our papers. Both sides they were very efficient despite doom mongers who say to the contrary. 

11E059FA-587A-4767-B6F6-7ACEAFE916E4.jpeg

8D8F5FDA-E1BE-442C-90BD-3772EBBEAC6A.jpeg

• Like 2