DFDS vs Brittany Ferries

I have just returned from a couple of weeks in France, out on DFDS Cote des Dunes Dover - Calais and back on BF Mont St Michel Ouistreham - Portsmouth.

Maybe it was just the change, however I really preferred the Dover crossing !

We took our time in doing the Calais - Dives Sur Mer drive, staying in Boulogne sur mer, Amiens and Dieppe along the way, we also stayed in Dover for a couple of nights, in the old days the drive from Calais would have taken 3:15 hours !

Great time at Dover Castle and we stayed at the Premier Inn close to the docks.

Booked on 10:35 DFDS from Dover, however thought I would attempt the earlier one.

Left hotel at 8, docks at 8:05, 5 cars in the passport queue.

Passport stamped showing Dover as French port of entry and blank cardboard hanger handed over. Drove through  & security asked to see blank bit of cardboard as I hadn’t hung it. 
DFDS checkin a few minutes later where I had to handover bit of cardboard- apparently it shows that all the documents have been checked ( they hadn’t been).

As it was only 8:15, got moved to the 09:10 crossing, drove to lanes and 5 mins later started loading, about 20 cars in total plus loads of lorries. By 8:30 sitting  in restaurant eating our free English Breakfast.

Found a quiet seat and made use of the free wifi throughout the ship which had a speed of around 6Gb.  Arrived in Calais on time, drove off within a few minutes past the French Customs and out of the port.

A really excellent crossing. Cost was £74 which came with a free meal and a clear and helpful change policy which allows current bookings to be changed or moved to a voucher. The policy was clearly stated with validity dates, unlike the BF one !

The drive across France rekindled old memories of day trips to Boulogne and was very enjoyable.

Coming back we did the Wednesday 14:00 crossing from Ouistreham on MSM.

The check in queue moved at a snails pace and took about 30 mins for about 6 cars in front, however as we all had to arrive early the ship left on time.

There were a reasonable number of cars and loads of lorries, we ended up on a truncated deck 6.

No a La Carte restaurant for 2021 and as masks were enforced spent the time in the cabin with a Lidl meal, kicked out as normal 30 mins before docking to scramble to find a seat

Passport control was ok, we ended up leaving the port 30 mins from docking which was ok.

Duty free has not been extended, I really don't see how it will cope with normal volumes,  the DFDS ship had a far larger one. The BF one had no vodka in stock, the only good news was that Cointreau was on offer at £16 per litre.

The ticket for DFDS was cheaper (£74 vs £110 for the equivalent BF after discount), however the petrol and the tolls still made BF cheaper, however we really enjoyed the DFDS crossing and preferred it. Hopefully if the a la carte reopens and masks go, I will feel differently.

ps DFDS had a mask rule also, however were not worried if you took them off in a quiet corner.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

Just now, Cabin-boy said:

How do you drink yours? And have your tried Cointreau Blood?

Ed

I have tried Cointreau blood and found it too sweet and a bit weak. I drink Cointreau with ice, over a fruit salad or in a cocktail. I used to use Triple Sec in cocktails, however the cheap ones seem to have disappeared and Cointreau is better.

17 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I have tried Cointreau blood and found it too sweet and a bit weak. I drink Cointreau with ice, over a fruit salad or in a cocktail. I used to use Triple Sec in cocktails, however the cheap ones seem to have disappeared and Cointreau is better.

One of my former students was the in-house barman at the factory and his job was to develop new combinations. I suggest you try the Blood with Pago rhubarb juice. Most big supermarkets stock it now. 

Ed

On 08/10/2021 at 15:26, Cabin-boy said:

How comes anytime an American company takes over a European one they start tinkering with the product usually in a bad way. This inevitably results in poorer product quantity or the quality being reduced. Or, like this case, it can result in "brand extensions" which are usually dire bastardisations of the original product. Orange Toblerone being a classic example. 

Here is what Mondelez International did to Toblerone back in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37904703

If Uncle Sam got his hands of BF, I can only imagine what they would do to it!

10 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

How comes anytime an American company takes over a European one they start tinkering with the product usually in a bad way. This inevitably results in poorer product quantity or the quality being reduced. Or, like this case, it can result in "brand extensions" which are usually dire bastardisations of the original product. Orange Toblerone being a classic example. 

Here is what Mondelez International did to Toblerone back in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37904703

If Uncle Sam got his hands of BF, I can only imagine what they would do to it!

They haven't messed up the Cadbury's Creme Eggs yet so we should be grateful for small mercies.

Ed

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They haven't messed up the Cadbury's Creme Eggs yet so we should be grateful for small mercies.

Ed

Shellshock! Cadbury comes clean on Creme Egg chocolate change

Monday 12 January 2015 will go down in confectionery history as a bad day. A hurtful day. The day when it was revealed that Cadbury’s Creme Eggs have changed for ever.

No longer shall the egg shell be made from delicious Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate. It will instead be made from disgusting, foul, vomit-inducing “standard cocoa mix chocolate”.

“It’s no longer Dairy Milk. It is similar, but not exactly Dairy Milk,” said a spokesman for Cadbury, which was bought by the US giant Kraft in 2010 and is now owned by Mondelez.

On 08/10/2021 at 15:10, Khaines said:

Any of the ferries stocking the new chocolate orange Toblerone..😁

What...!

What's that you say...! Chocolate orange Toblerone...!

I've done Yorkie, Twirl & Galaxy orange so now I must find the Toblerone...!

Nurse? NUURRRSSE!!!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is that the new politically correct name for a Walnut Whip?

Ed

Kitchen's use to be so much fun years ago , whipping , beating, cracking ,pounding ,plucking , skinning, stretching ,searing, roasting, and the kitchen was always in the basement for added effect .