High Speed to Cherbourg in 2022?

Hi everyone,

Now that NEx has become the Condor Voyager, do people think if there is any chance at all of a High Speed Ports-Cherbourg service next year? Currently just showing as two Galicia/Salamanca sailings, which are on Wed/Thurs evening.

Thanks!

Edited by The Ferry Man

Depends how long NEX is Voyager.  Is she or is she not a permanent Condor ship?  Is she a stand in until Rapide is replaced?  She was really, in my opinion, given a job to do to save her being laid up for any longer, Rapide wasn’t that decrepit enough she had to be got rid of, just they could sell her on sooner if NEX could fill the gap.  If. BF want her back then Libby has a surprise coming.

Surely the high speed crossings are more popular than conventional ones, NEX was a popular ship during her summer season, think people accept the current situation makes her surplus to requirements, but think she would be preferable option to many, except those who dislike HSCs.

Cherbourg has been ill treated by ferry companies in the last 10 years. One minute a glut then a handful of sailings. They can't seem to make up their minds whether it's a good port to have as a destination or not. 

13 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The issue is whether people would book another route if NEX was not there or just not sail.  NEX gives additional capacity, it may not be needed.

It's also presumably a very marginal proposition when measuring costs especially fuel vs carryings given the latter can't be underpinned by freight like the regular passenger services are.

• Like 1

Think the plan is to use Liberation a bit two days a week. I believe that was the plan when Libby randomly went to Portsmouth twice a week this year. Think I read somewhere, may have been Ships Monthly, that NEX is a bare boat charter and condor have her as long as they need her for. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/10/2021 at 13:57, Huricane said:

Think the plan is to use Liberation a bit two days a week. I believe that was the plan when Libby randomly went to Portsmouth twice a week this year. Think I read somewhere, may have been Ships Monthly, that NEX is a bare boat charter and condor have her as long as they need her for. 

BF have today announced Condor service Portsmouth- Cherbourg- Poole fir May school holiday and for Summer.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 12:47, hhvferry said:

It's also presumably a very marginal proposition when measuring costs especially fuel vs carryings given the latter can't be underpinned by freight like the regular passenger services are.

It's not a marginal proposition for Condor. People overwhelmingly choose the faster option over Clipper.

3 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

It's not a marginal proposition for Condor. People overwhelmingly choose the faster option over Clipper.

I meant BF rather than Condor as they are rather different markets but, even then, passengers don't necessarily equal profitability.

2 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

I meant BF rather than Condor as they are rather different markets but, even then, passengers don't necessarily equal profitability.

I know you meant BF. They may be different markets but at the end of the day many people want speed and spent as little as time possible on the ferry.  However, crossings are different in terms of they are a break in the middle of a longer journey whereas Condor trips take you straight to your destination with minimal  driving at the other end.

4 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

With 400,000 going toJersey  by air and 80,000 by sea it sounds to me as though who want the faster option are not choosing either of the Condor options.

• Like 1

I miss the day trips, lunch in Guernsey then back early evening.  I don’t know why they aren’t doing them at the moment, get loads of Guernsey tourism posts and Condor ones.  Day trips would probably help the CI economy again, especially coming up to Christmas and travel restrictions are a lot less than before so can’t understand.  I don’t mind a winter Libby..😁

4 hours ago, wortley said:

With 400,000 going toJersey  by air and 80,000 by sea it sounds to me as though who want the faster option are not choosing either of the Condor options.

And those who go by sea, 90 per cent choose the fast ferry alternative.