Who owns which??

Now that we know there are three separate companies involved in the ownership/chartering etc. of the various vessels can anyone explain why MN Pelican is still on charter when other directly owned ships are laid up? I would have thought that Cotentin could do the Poole freight run and Barfy used from Portsmouth instead of being idle in Caen.

15 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

If its anything like delivery van leases and aircraft you wear out the leased ones before your own.

Also they may not be able to get out of the lease?

Edited by IanN

I think charters normally have both term dates [ie when the ship is scheduled to be handed back] and provisions for early termination with notice. But the latter would normally include a compensation payment [I can't remember the legal term] to the owner. Although this payment could be waived in certain circumstances – for example if there was a shortage of a particular vessel type with other charter parties begging for her.

There is also the question of operating costs / economies. I suspect that as a purpose-built freighter Pelican is very economical. Cotentin on the other hand is – potentially at least – a multi-role vessel for which the costs could be higher. Fuel consumption? Manning levels? Load/discharge times and costs?

Pelican is on charter to BAI, the only other vessel they have available is Cap Finistere and she won't fit into Poole.

The three companies also have their own defined routes too.

BAI.

Rosslare-Cherbourg... Rosslare-Bilbao... Poole- Bilbao... Portsmouth-Bilbao/Santander... Portsmouth-Cherbourg... Portsmouth-Le Havre.

Ships... Cap Finistere, Galicia, Connemara, Pelican, (NEX out to Condor).

SOMANOR

Poole-Cherbourg... Portsmouth-Caen...Portsmouth-Le Havre.

Ships... Barfleur, Cotentin, MSM, Normandie.

SOMABRET

Plymouth-Roscoff...Plymouth-Santander...Roscoff-Cork...Portsmouth-St Malo...Portsmouth-Santander.

Ships... Armorique, Bretagne, Pont Aven.

Salamanca will be a BAI vessel. Santona & Bretagne II are for SOMABRET and Normandie II is for SOMANOR.

The are weird and wonderful rumours out there although I think there's been far too much smoking of the Mary Jane during lockdown. 

Thank you for that clarification, it makes the whole organisation much clearer. But, thinking on; does this mean that the various financial loans/bailouts etc. made by Departments or provinces are for the specific support of one company within the group? Consequently, is it possible for one part to shut up shop for any reason and the other two carry on trading?

30 minutes ago, Barry Thomas said:

Thank you for that clarification, it makes the whole organisation much clearer. But, thinking on; does this mean that the various financial loans/bailouts etc. made by Departments or provinces are for the specific support of one company within the group? Consequently, is it possible for one part to shut up shop for any reason and the other two carry on trading?

I guess you could load all the debt onto one of the companies and shut up shop. Then make like a Phoenix. No knowledge of this apart from programmes like watchdog 

Interestingly I read that the latest confirmation of French government financial support for BF also mentions that said government are pressuring the banks to finance the purchase options on the charter contracts. One would assume the reference is to the 5 E-Flexers.