Sign in to follow this  
Unregistered User

Fuel Crisis in France?

Can't see this ending any time soon, and with the prospect of disrupting euro 16, the strikers may be inspired to push things on until July 10th.

We're giving it another week, then cancelling our ferry on 24th June, returning 2 weeks later; we have a long drive down to the Ardeche, and it's not our idea of a holiday to be queueing for diesel and wondering if we're going to be able to reach our destination, let alone get home.

I'll be interested to see how @colinschandler gets on next saturday.

Would switching to Zierbena be realistic for you? Driving time wise, the French ports are the same but there's the added rest time to consider.

Radio 4 this morning reported that nearly 50% of French petrol filling stations are now having difficulties.

things seem to be getting better but no doubt there will be problems next week.I am on Bretagne next Friday 3/6/2016 but will travel no matter what,unless b/f cancel.I am staying for 2 weeks not far from st malo so if I have to will travel to Jersey on the condor to fill up !!! as a last resort.Happy holidays.

Got €50's worth on the Motorway down here at Nimes yesterday (was travelling anyway). No queues, nor restrictions. OK, it cost me a bit more, but hey .......

Situation not good here - long queues and things could get a lot worse. To be honest, a lot more will be worse of than me if it does!

I have arrived in the south of France today in the motorhome, filled up 3 times on the journey, never a queue; however two of the three had no petrol.

Supermarket at my destination had both but 5 minute queue.

Not nearly as bad as the UK media make out.

I had a bigger queue at Shell by the euro tunnel.

We live in central Brittany and although there were queues for fuel last week the situation appears to have eased. Whilst shopping in St Méen le Grand on Friday there were no queues at the supermarket fuel station although the limit of 20€ euros was still in place - and motorists were told to go back again for another 20€ if they needed more! Yesterday there were no queues and no limit at the supermarket in Merdrignac, although the price per litre has increased from 1,13€ to 1,17€

Edited by La Pirouaie

Thngs have eased since last week regarding getting fuel at the service stations.

Probably because everybody has got full tanks in their cars now!

However it's not finished yet with more strikes forecast for the end of the week.

Just driven down to the Haute-Savoie from Cherbourg. Topped up twice on the way, with one service station (after Tours) asking for payment first, and a maximum of 20 litres. They also turned off the card payments on the pumps. The only fuel out of stock was sans plomb 98 at that service station. Agip seemed to be the most expensive at 1.55 per litre.

Could any of the France based members confirm if there is another fuel crisis looming please? I was advised this from the RAC this morning:

TheRAC_UK advises drivers travelling to #France to fill-up before they travel. Blockades at refineries by French farmers are causing some shortages at the busiest forecourts. Also #unleaded and #diesel is 10p cheaper in the UK and should drop by a further 2-3p

Thanks

I was in Moissac (Tarn-et-Garonne) yesterday and there were no queues at any filling stations.

As to whether a crisis might be looming, it really depends on how long any blocades last. And on that, I have no idea. I did hear some farmers being interviewed on radio, and they sounded pretty upset - and probably with good reason. I don't have much time for the French farming community in general, but this time I think they may have a case.

We were out & about yesterday (both regular roads & motorway) and no problems seen at any filling stations.

The situation can of course change almost overnight.

I've seen no indication of problems here in the Loire valley. However I'd say it still makes sense to come over with a full tank (as fuel is currently expensive here in France) and fill up when you can, particularly if on holiday in a popular area and not planning on using your car for several days. Don't forget that motorway service stations generally get priority when it comes to deliveries of fuel if there is a crisis (as it's illegal to run out on a motorway) so even if its more expensive and you are limited to perhaps 20 litres you afford be able to get fuel. Ed.