Sign in to follow this  
Unregistered User

Fuel Crisis in France?

Re: A Looming Fuel Crisis in France?

At the moment we are 94.9 for unleaded and 95.9 for diesel. However I went to Kippen (a small villege in the middle of nowhere with a very good pub) recently and it was £1.05 a litre

Sadly not rich enough to buy a new car, just been serviced and producing 38mpg, not bad for a 1.6 that's 13 years old and managed 129000 miles...

Alas a Ka that did 70,195 in under 3 died....

:(

Luckily my gran decided to buy (and pass on!) the one version of the 200 (216 from 89-95) where Honda made the engines :D

Just had a call from one of our drivers in Portsmouth, it would appear the residents are trying to empty the petrol stations in Portsmouth. Apparently there is a queue stretching back beyond Sainsburys to get fuel at the garage on Mile End Road.

For god sake, what are these people trying to do, create an artificial fuel crisis?

Micheil & Jacqui

Just had a call from one of our drivers in Portsmouth, it would appear the residents are trying to empty the petrol stations in Portsmouth. Apparently there is a queue stretching back beyond Sainsburys to get fuel at the garage on Mile End Road.

For god sake, what are these people trying to do, create an artificial fuel crisis?

Micheil & Jacqui

With respect, that’s what can happen when enough people start spouting doom & gloom! Soon enough you hit a critical mass and what started out as an idea to blockade a refinery becomes a self fulfilling prophesy and people panic!

As it happens, I had a meeting with a colleague this morning prior to him making his way up to Merseyside. He was concerned that if, just if, he could not get fuel, he might be stuck and not able to get home tomorrow in time to be at his wife’s bedside whilst she undergoes a small procedure in hospital! He has literally just called to say he got fuel on the M6 and the girl who took his money said it had been unusually quiet!

Wiggo…..

Micheil & Jacqui

I've just driven back from work. That Shell garage has been closed since this morning. There is a minimal line at the BP garage next to Sainsbury's which is down to one pump. Total at the Fratton Centre is closed and have blocked the road in with a truck. For anyone local, Jet in Southsea are doing fine with hardly any wait at all.

I've just driven back from work. That Shell garage has been closed since this morning. There is a minimal line at the BP garage next to Sainsbury's which is down to one pump. Total at the Fratton Centre is closed and have blocked the road in with a truck. For anyone local, Jet in Southsea are doing fine with hardly any wait at all.

I suspect there will be a lot of ‘empty’ filling stations over the next day or two as the ‘normal’ pattern of buying fuel will be disrupted due to the fear, real or otherwise, of any blockades. Apparently my wife’s car was ½ full yesterday and she was not in any real need of fuel but she felt obliged to fill it up last evening anyway when under normal circumstances she would not have bothered for a few more days.

I went to a filling statio today, and it was empty. The fuel was nearly £1 a litre. The nearby supermarket had long queues as the petrol was cheaper. Sod it, I'd rather not join the lemming-like masses and pay a bit more. I still put £20 worth of petrol in the tank whether I'm paying 94p or £1 a litre.

Our Shell garage down the road as been closed since about 0830 this morning (It was closed on my way to school so it may have been earlier).

Micheil & Jacqui

In so far as there are apparently now many fuel stations without some or all brands, this is exactly what has happened. The media have undoubtably played their part once again but it was the threats of protest that started the rush in the first place.

It seems that after all the panic buying there were no blockades anyway. Just several peacful protests. No wonder petrol stations are emptier today (Empty of customers, not fuel, although they could be both....)

The media have undoubtably played their part once again but it was the threats of protest that started the rush in the first place.

Very true.

I read somewhere that fuel prices are set to go down 4 or 5p in the next few days as more oil is produced to cope with the demand.

I'm just questioning whether the threat of a strike was the intention all along...

Apparently from what I remember from my Economics A level, the grade of oil obtained from the North Sea was too good to be refined into fuel. I'm sure some chemist will now prove me wrong and it was 23 years ago!

No, the UK is not self-sufficient thanks to North Sea oil. Anything but, in fact, as there are fears that North Sea oil is running out, leading to increased attempts to find alternative sources of oil around the UK. We are becoming increasingly reliant upon imports of oil from elsewhere.

Indeed, there is an expectation that petrol/diesel prices will fall next week as reductions in the price per barrel of crude oil this week feed into the system.

Apparently a week's worth of petrol/diesel was sold on Tuesday, but I didn't contribute to this as I filled up last Saturday which is when I actually needed to do so. Talk about the people of this country being blithering idiot sheep! :no:

Apparently from what I remember from my Economics A level, the grade of oil obtained from the North Sea was too good to be refined into fuel. I'm sure some chemist will now prove me wrong and it was 23 years ago!

I am no chemist either but you are correct with regard to the quality of North Sea Crude’s. They are very ‘light’ and are used for higher value refining. I believe most of the crude oil refined in the UK refineries is imported but that does not change the economics that the chancellor still benefits greatly from the increase in the crude price as an exported product. I have listened to representatives of the hauliers and farmers on the TV suggesting that the Government have also benefited from the higher pump price with additional VAT and so he could ‘give some back’ but that is minimal in comparison to the revenue from the North Sea levies and I am surprised no one is using that as a rationale for some further support from the Government.

It's also interesting to note that fuel prices are expected to drop 5p/6p a litre in the next week due to increased supply... that said, it's actually got about 4p a litre cheaper down here since the start of this week.

It's also interesting to note that fuel prices are expected to drop 5p/6p a litre in the next week due to increased supply... that said, it's actually got about 4p a litre cheaper down here since the start of this week.

Hi Jim, I think what happened is that when Hurricane Katrina hit, it took out some refining capacity very quickly and that sent US wholesale prices rocketing for a few days, but only for a few days. They settled down pretty quickly and so that will filter back through the system soon enough.

Also more modern refineries do have some ‘flexibility’ to alter their ‘product slate’ from their refining process, a very crude example (pardon the pun) would be a refinery tweaking it’s production to produce more gasoline and less aviation fuel (less aviation fuel needed in the northern hemisphere during winter) the downside to the refiner however is he may in doing so (just may) increase his lower end cheaper ‘residual products’ (fuels for ships for one example) but if the price for the gasoline is high enough they will absorb the low end loss.

There are a whole load of factors affecting the price but one things for sure, if China and India keep on growing at the rates they are, and if their Governments continue to subsidise fuel to their industry and thus disguise the true price effect to their consumers than we are stuck with high (ish) prices for some time.

Yup, my mum had half a tank and said "isnt it silly how everyone's filling up when there's no shortage etc.." then came home with a suspiciously full tank...

I have just received this from one of our advisors and thought I would paste it as it has a relevance to some of the previous posts and I guess I thought some of you may find it of interest if you did not already see the interview.

Wiggo............

"Anyway, there was an interview on BBC Newsnight last night Thursday 160905 between Jeremy Paxman and Dr. Adnan Shihab-Eldin Acting Secretary General of OPEC which was extremely interesting.

The interview was to solicit a reaction from OPEC to Gordon Brown's inane public proclamation earlier in the week that the solution to the worlds high oil problem was not the G8 industralised countries but OPEC's moral duty to increase oil production to satisfy the market and to invest in more refineries etc.

Dr. Shihab-Eldin's response took Brown to task and made a fool of him to the point that Gordon Brown's naivity was exposed and his tax on petrol stance folly. In essence Shihab interlectually was masterful but more to the point stated the following:

There is no problem with the world's proven oil reserves, production capcities and production peaking was simply not an issue.

OPEC are quite able to meet present demand but it is true they have to expediently increase investment in order to increase oil production to ensure growing exponential demand of China and India coupled with the Western Worlds continuing energy demand can be met.

However he went on to say, the production levels of crude oil is not the real problem causing soaring oil prices as reflected at the petrol pumps in USA, Europe etc, it is simply insufficient refinery capacity unable to meet the unprecedented demand exacerbated by natural disasters such as Katrina.

He pointed out that no one has questioned the industrial players and multi national oil companies etc why they have not made any investment in the downstream refining sector over the past two decades and why they sold off their inventories during a period of speculated and spiked oil price trading climate.

In response to Jeremy paxman's question "What is OPEC's view on what a barrel of oil should be" The answer was "Oil price is unkely to fall below $40 per barrel and certainly is not likely to go above $70 per barrel. Rather it is likely to stabilise at somewhere between $40 and $60 per barrel" Unquote.

What OPEC portray is totally in line with the analysis, projections and recommendations we made in our recent techno-Economic & Marketing Study. Nice not to be alone in ones views."

An interesting case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted ?

Here is an excerpt of a report that the G8 leaders were due to debate in July. I guess the London bombings buried this news at the time:

"No new oil refineries have been built in the United States since the 1970s due to local opposition and environmental concerns, as well as two decades of low financial returns. Years of underinvestment caught up with the market last year, when refiners pumping full tilt struggled to keep up with a surge in Chinese demand and stronger than usual U.S. growth.

Although a jump in refining margins and forecasts of strong long-term demand have encouraged new investment in China, India and the Middle East, these new plants are unlikely to start soon enough to soothe concerns about this winter, analysts say.

The G8 plan envisages using tax incentives and planning concessions to encourage investment in western Europe and the United States, the FT said.

U.S. President George W. Bush's administration is also hoping to encourage new refineries, possibly on mililtary bases, but oil company executives have said it makes more financial sense to gradually expand capacity at existing plants."

Lateline News.

Hi to you all.Points to remember

a) Petrol is a waste product of oil. Therefore should be cheaper,its TAX that spoils the price for you and me

b) The US of A has its own store of oil sitting under TEXAS until the rest of us run out.

Further comments please.

Hi to you all.Points to remember

a) Petrol is a waste product of oil. Therefore should be cheaper,its TAX that spoils the price for you and me

b) The US of A has its own store of oil sitting under TEXAS until the rest of us run out.

Further comments please.

Facinating stuff. I would very much welcome any further detail on the above two statements!

Well, petrol is a major parameter in the way our planet runs, I like saying if USA went war in Iraqi, it's because petrol, if France didn't go war in Iraqi, that's also because petrol... (Total french oil comp has lot interest in former USSR and hadn't interest to have Iraqi petrol on world market)

Rod